Started on: 10-14-2006 02:27 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: motoracer838 on 10-16-2006 06:13 PM
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Just finished a 4.9 4T60E swap into my 88 coupe. Car was originally a duke / TH125. I used the harness from Injection Technologies, home fabbed everything else.

Donor car was a 1994 Sedan DeVille that took a rear hit. Engine ran fine at junkyard, transmission engaged correctly into 1st gear at yard as well.

Swap is finished. Engine runs EXCELLENT. Lights off immediately, settles into a nice smooth idle, lots of power, essentially runs perfectly. The transmission is where I'm having trouble.

When I put the car in either Drive or 3rd, the car starts off in 3rd and has 3rd only. I can pull it manually into 2nd and it will start off in 2nd, and shift it manually into 3rd, but those are the only two gears I have.....no 1st, no overdrive. Kinda reminds me of an old PowerGlide . Reverse works fine, and I have reverse lights.

Fluid is full with engine hot and in drive. Fluid coloring is perfect and was at the junkyard as well. No signs of burning....ie...discoloration or smell. Which all leads me to believe I have a wiring issue as opposed to a mechanical issue. At the 7 cavity plug, I have key-on 12V on the pink wire as I should, and 12V key-on interrupted by the brake pedal on the purple, as I should. The two solenoid wires go to the correct cavities on the PCM (green and yellow).

Now...as you know, the Fiero's shifter only has detents for 3 forward gears, so it can't be manually pulled into first. So, with the help of a buddy, we clicked it manually into first with the shift cable unhooked. Still had just 2nd gear.

This is the LAST little issue to have this car running perfectly. Anybody have any ideas? I will be eternally grateful and hand out +'s generously to anybody who can help. If it turns out to be mechanical and the trans has to come out, so be it, but I can't help but think I have a simple wiring flaw somewhere. I'm on the verge of taking it to a trans shop and paying somebody to make it work (God forbid )

Ideas, suggestions?? TIA.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
If I remember right Engineer Bill had the same kind of problem with his 4.9 swap, it turned out to be a miswiring in the harness, his most recent post was in the last couple of weeks. I just bumped the thread for ya.

Joe
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2006 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Joe....Thanks....I had forgotten all about Engineer Bill's post....but that jogged my memory.

Reading through the thread and looking at the diagrams....something occurs to me. He mentions that the Parks harness, which is the same one I'm using, works without modifications for the 91-93 models. My donor car was a 94. One of the main differences is that the 94 has dual O2 sensors, and uses a 50hz resistor for the VATS bypass. I'm wondering if there's a difference in the way the 7 pin trans plug is wired, or the PRNDL switch for that matter.

I've pinned out my plug, and it's correct per my Helms manual....but the manual is for a 91 model, not a 94.

I'm beginning to seriously suspect that the 94 setup is a whole different animal.....
opm2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Yep, The later model 4t60e has a different pinout .

When I got my Ed Park's harness I mentioned the vintage of my trans and he gave me the pinout swap info.

Let me locate it and I'll post it

David Breeze
opm2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

opm2000

1347 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Here's how Ed described it:

on your 7 pin round transmission plug
-the wire in G should go to B
-the wire in F should go to A
-the wire in B should go to C

'92 up to N4260456 uses 30hz
after N4260457 uses 50hz

I'd call Ed about this, incase I misunderstood his sketch

David Breeze
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

Yep, The later model 4t60e has a different pinout .

When I got my Ed Park's harness I mentioned the vintage of my trans and he gave me the pinout swap info.

Let me locate it and I'll post it

David Breeze

David.....you're the hero of the day....exactly what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate the help...plus heading your way.

Dan

BTW....mine uses the 50hz VATS bypass, so it's definitely a later trans.

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 10-15-2006).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Here you go, scan for the 94 DeVille transmisson pinouts (left as a large file so it is easy to read):

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Tim
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2006 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Tim.....

a million thanks. I have to work today, but just as soon as I get a spare minute, I'll start tracing it out.

I am Sooooooo close on this car...

+'s to all who have helped.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
OK.....I rewired it according to the diagrams provided by OPM2000 and Mickey_Moose.....and it WORKS!!!!!!!

Yes....I have all gears, 1 through 4, shifting in the correct order! Nice snap shifting into first from a dead stop, each shift is Cadillac smooth (hmmmm....coincidence?? ) and a nice downshift when I goose it. I'm happier than a pig in slop....

And I owe a huge thanks to everyone who chimed in and offered their assistance. Pluses sent to all, and if you ever find yourself in El Paso, dinner's on me.

As for me....I think I'll go hunt down a ricer or two...

Cheers!!!!
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
Congrats.

Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock