Started on: 10-07-2006 10:46 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Tha Driver on 10-09-2006 03:28 PM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Here are some scans I made of some old yellowed papers. Hopefully some do-it-yourself body repair and painting guys will find it helpful to know exactly which materials are which and how to work with each.

The first set is from 3M:

• Material naming ID by location
  • Most detailed diagram of Fiero composite materials that I've found yet
  • Memo on suggested repair procedures at the time (this may be out of date).

And then an article on detailed repair methods from BodyShop Business, February 1985. Edit: Pages weren't missing, they were out of order due to someone's faulty collating.

--------------------

3M materials list

3M materials diagram

3M memo

BodyShop Business article

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 10-07-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
FieroGT42, Thanks for taking the time to post, got it saved, the nylon was a new one to me.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Good find. Should help most do it urselfers.

Only thing I see that no longer applies is that using flex agents is no longer required except in extreme cases. This appears to all be written before 85 and urathane paint has improved 1,000 %. When basecoat clearcoat finishes arrived in early 80s they were treated a lot like OEM (at the time) laquers. I used the flex in laquer refinishing GTO bumpers like on 69s and it still cracked like glass on impact. New clearcoats will take a lot of minor impacts with little damage. Nothing sprayed on is as resistant as the factory finish as its more of a coating than painted.
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! That's really heplful, I never really knew how many different plastics were on the car...

Steve
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately about 50% of this info is either uotdated or just plain wrong. I would suggest everyone ignore this info completely & look up more current shtuff.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

I checked today and... this is the oldest I've ever been.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2006 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Outdated? I don't think Fiero construction has changed much lately....

What exactly is outdated? Or wrong for that matter. The materials? or the Methods?

------------------
www.fierodomain.com
Your guide to the Online Fiero Community

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
So.... GM was providing incorrect information to 3M to redistribute to their representatives for further distribution to body shops...?
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
It shows the engine vent as TP Polyester. Isn't it magnesium?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Yes the '84 engine vent was magnesium; the sail panel trim is plastic (not SMC), etc. etc.
The methods for repair are outdated, as newer materials are available that work diferently. I'm not going to waste my time reading the entire article & pointing out every little detail. Just find newer info to go by (this *is* the WWW, after all).
The OP gets an "E" for effort, though. :-)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock