Started on: 10-05-2006 11:49 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: ohio86se on 11-26-2006 10:03 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a source for 84-87 rear inner knuckle seals (not the hub bearing seals)?
It traps any grease that gets past the hub seals between the knuckle and axle shaft.

P22 book gives P/N 14084120 and 14076995. AC Delco says "dealer only". GM dealer says "discontinued".
Local parts stores don't show any listing at all for this seal.

If anyone has found these, please include Timken or Federal Mogul etc. part number if you have it.

Thanks.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-05-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Success! Bumper to Bumper has them under the brand CR (Chicago Rawhide) PN 18697
If you have lots of mileage, you will likely need these when you pull the axles.
It's odd that NAPA didn't show them under applications for Fiero (same number).

Picture http://www.chicago-rawhide.com/catalogs/457010/sealdetail.asp?s=18697
Cross-reference http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-05-2006).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
You just couldn't wait until I got home and checked my file, could you?

IIRC Federal Mogul part number 5699 fits as well.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dguy:

You just couldn't wait until I got home and checked my file, could you?

IIRC Federal Mogul part number 5699 fits as well.

What he said
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys. I had made calls and the Bumper to Bumper guy called back after I had posted

Unfortunately we will see more and more of this: The part EXISTS, but is not listed for the Fiero. Because the Fiero is now 20 years old, they are "falling off the list" of applications.

I'm sure NAPA has parts that fit a 1965 Ford too, but their application lists don't go that far back.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Some pics for those not sure what we were talking about.

A 2" ABS pipe coupler is the perfect size to drive these in. Drive it through from the opposite side.

Disassembled rear hub from my project car. This was the cleaner of the two.

Parts cleaned up and ready for reassembly. A wire brush in a drill cleaned the rust right off.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Unfortunately we will see more and more of this: The part EXISTS, but is not listed for the Fiero. Because the Fiero is now 20 years old, they are "falling off the list" of applications.

I noticed the Timken part number for the Fiero rear wheel bearing assembly is the same as the one for the Citation; I'll bet if you can't find the seal listed for the Fiero, your parts store can find it under "Citation".

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Is this the same piece on 88 rear knuckles? Or is that one different?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

A 2" ABS pipe coupler is the perfect size to drive these in. Drive it through from the opposite side.

Be aware that this picture shows the seal installed backwards. The concave side of the seal (the side with the sharp edge of the housing) should face the transmission when installed; the inner rubber seal should face away from the transmission. The concave side of the seal interlocks with a small flange on the outer CV joint, which helps keep dirt away from the rubber seal.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 11-22-2006).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Be aware that this picture shows the seal installed backwards. The concave side of the seal (the side with the sharp edge of the housing) should face the transmission when installed; the inner rubber seal should face away from the transmission. The concave side of the seal interlocks with a small flange on the outer CV joint, which helps keep dirt away from the rubber seal.

I'm pretty sure that's how the original seals were installed, or I misinterpreted the directions in the manual. Can somebody confirm on a factory install?

JCL86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCL86GTClick Here to visit JCL86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to JCL86GTDirect Link to This Post
Any idea on a part number for this O-Ring?

JOhn ><>
PFF
System Bot
JCL86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCL86GTClick Here to visit JCL86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to JCL86GTDirect Link to This Post

JCL86GT

196 posts
Member since Oct 2006

I'm pretty sure that's how the original seals were installed, or I misinterpreted the directions in the manual. Can somebody confirm on a factory install?

I will be able to tell you tomorrow when I take the other side apart.
JOhn ><>
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Everything I've ever heard and experienced, about Sealed Hub bearings was that you can not take them apart.

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/files/counterman/TSSHubUnitsBearings.pdf

"Sealed-hub assemblies with the wheel bearings
mounted inside are used on most late-model vehicles.
The hub and bearing assembly is bolted to the
knuckle or axle, and supports either the wheel or
axle, depending on the type of drivetrain used.
The bearings inside a sealed-hub assembly
require no maintenance and are not adjustable.
This means they cannot be disassembled, cleaned
or repacked with grease, and must be replaced as a
unit if loose, worn or defective."

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 11-22-2006).]

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

fourpoint9

1058 posts
Member since Feb 2004

Buy it now on ebay $19.95 Shipping $9.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46093&viewitem=&item=320015729670

Whole assembly Comes with all the seals and a nut.

JCL86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCL86GTClick Here to visit JCL86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to JCL86GTDirect Link to This Post
The O-Ring goes here (red line)

JOhn ><>
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

Everything I've ever heard and experienced, about Sealed Hub bearings was that you can not take them apart.

Most people wouldn't do it right, so it's easier to tell them to buy new ones.
https://www.fiero.nl:80/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040223-2-038018.html

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Can somebody confirm on a factory install?

I have an original knuckle from an '88 with the seal still in place. I'll try to post a picture in the next couple of days.

For what it's worth, the Ogre's Cave also has the correct information with respect to the orientation and installation of this seal.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 11-23-2006).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Marvin McInnis

11599 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by JCL86GT:

Any idea on a part number for this O-Ring?

It is included with the seal.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
BCA kit has seak 4310 & boring as232
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2006 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here is a picture of an original '88 rear knuckle and axle seal:

For orientation, this picture is taken from the inside (i.e. transmission side) of the knuckle. I hope this helps.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2006 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

For orientation, this picture is taken from the inside (i.e. transmission side) of the knuckle. I hope this helps.

Thank you for correcting me. It's still not too late (or too big a job) for me to correct this. This is where I'm at right now.

PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

This is where I'm at right now.

Looking good!

You can press the seal out through the knuckle without damage using the PVC collar. Then reinstall it from the outside (tire side) face of the knuckle and press it all the way through to the inside face. The outer edge of the seal housing should protrude slightly (less than 1/32 inch) from the inner face of the knuckle when you are finished.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
It looks like AdvanceAuto Parts has them under the partnumber 18697.

Good find

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock