Coolant crossover tube Q's by The Funkmaster
Started on: 10-02-2006 04:38 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Indiana_resto_guy on 10-03-2006 08:49 AM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I have a simple one for you - How is the crossover tube supposed to be positioned in front of the engine? I've been trying to make it fit, but it's like it doesn't belong there. I have a '86 GT with A/C and the manual tranny. It's driving me insane - I can't figure out how it is fastened down, and I need to make this thing driveable ASAP. I'm planning on removing the A/C soon as I can, but that's a lot of work, I'd prefer to figure out a way to make this work without having to do that.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
What sort of problems are you having?
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I just installed my engine again after a rebuild. Just trying to make things go back to their original stock locations, I've been able to get everything else back but that crossover tube just seems out of place somehow. I don't know if it goes against the firewall, or if it bolts to the engine block... There's some tabs on it but they don't seem to line up to anything that I can see. It's really bizarre.

Of course, I didn't take pics when I removed everything, because I expected to remember. This adds up nicely with the bucket of random bolts I have laying about...
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
It`s not going to be fun --now that the engine is in the car again--I hate those things--it will bolt to the engine, I tell you what --see if you can find a pic on the forum archives here I`ll see what I can dig up too, once you see it--it will be self-explanitory. I have a engine/trans/cradle out right now on a dolley in the shop, if neither of us find pics I`ll try to explain it the best I can later in the am--not one of gm`s brightest ideas.... The oldest one ran off with the digi to stay at a friends house tonight or I would send one to you..
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Appreciate it mate, thank you!!! I'll try to hunt something down, but haven't had much luck so far. Hopefully something turns up, otherwise, pics would help out a lot! Thanks!

Steve
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Here's a picture (Courtesy Jazzman) showing the tube in place. From everything i've read, if you have A/C the coolant tube needs to go on before the A/C brackets. That's the way I did it on mine, and I didn't see any other way....

Rich
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Hey, thanks!!!

ohhhhhhhhhh.

I'm screwed.

...Guess who's taking apart the part of their engine bay that's the hardest possible part to reach? Thanks for the pic though, at least now I know what I gotta do...

This could be fun.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
All you need to do is remove the upper A/C bracket and the lift bracket which the end of the crossover tube bolts to.
The lower end of the tube bolts to the transmission, hopefully you installed the studs in the proper places.
Be sure not to pin the wiring harness to the block, it runs along the outside of the tube.
Luck!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock