Foglight ideas... and idiocy! by The Funkmaster
Started on: 10-02-2006 02:39 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: tjm4fun on 10-03-2006 05:40 AM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, I had a plan. My plan was to install foglights on the Fiero, as my headlights aren't the best for 'up close' situations. Well, I got all thinky, and came up with a plan to remove the recessed turn signals from the car (I know, illegal, just pretend it's legal for now.)

I like these lights, as they look great, are blue, and apparently are quite bright. My plan was flawless.

I planned to put the lights here - good visibility, no cutting of expensive bumpers, et al.

Then, genius that I am, I decided that the best way to test a light's durability is to toss it violently and with undue force directly at the ground.

Well, I was a little annoyed, but that did not dissuade me for more than but a moment - I attempted to get a vague idea as to how it would look.

The wires would look better routed within the bumper, I think. Anyways, I snagged a spare signal housing and began my work - The housing is the same colour as orange candy, and bizarrely, when burned, smells similar - though more pungent and infinitely more deadly.

Then, I separated the housing from its backing...

And then, as I had hoped, the light fit almost perfectly within the housing!

All I need to do is figure out a way to make a bracket that fits around the foglight, and screws down on the two holes for the original bracket. The light should look like it belongs there... That's what I'm hoping anyway! Of course, now that I have totally destroyed one of the lights, I may be forced to find a different style of lamp. Which would make all my hard work pointless.

Well, at least I got the fumes from the burning plastic.

Those were good.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
That would look cool --keep at it---A + for effort...
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
what are those lights from?
andd for a though, wiht some intersting plasit work, you migh be able to put them in there with an orange or clear bezel at the end, and leave the signal lamp. the lense at the end surrounding the foglamp might be bright enough that it would still function
as the turn signal.....
lemme see if I can photochop something up......
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

tjm4fun

3781 posts
Member since Feb 2006
maybe something like this, you would need to get some type of larger signal type lens:

Fiero2M6GT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2M6GT1Send a Private Message to Fiero2M6GT1Direct Link to This Post
Nice car. looks so familiar This is what i did with my fog lights.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

A little simpler that what you attempting. I like your idea of modifing the turn signal light. People just dont or cant see them while your driving. I would like to mount my turn signals flush with the facica.

[This message has been edited by Fiero2M6GT1 (edited 10-02-2006).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Just for reference, Ford Probe GT (93-97) driving lights are the same size as the Fiero turn signal.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, I thought about keeping the turn signal, but it seems so pointless as it's so recessed that no one can see it. That location, however, is *perfect* for a foglight. Thanks for the compliments guys, and for the photoshop TJM

I'm hoping to get ahold of some clear turn signal covers from Kris M, if I can have those covering up the holes and have the foglights behind, then I'm set It'll look perfect, and still function nicely in the dark. One thing that concerns me mildly is ventilation, as these lights get rather toasty. I may be inclined to add a ventilation fan if things start to warp from heat. Would be easy - There's a gap in the hole above the signal light, easily large enough for a wee fan to be installed. I'd set it up so it pulls the air through the gaps between the fascia and the light, and vents it out inside the headlight cavity.

I love make-work projects!!!

Thanks guys
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2006 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Aren't you kind of killing the wide-angle point of the foglights by making them recessed? I like the look though. Much better than just hanging them off the bumper with screws or double sided tape.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 10-02-2006).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
sooooooo......

details on the light? I've been looking for some small ones like that..... link? car you took it from??
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
The wide-angle part isn't what I'm looking for right now, I just need a light that hits the ground right in front of the car. My flushmounts are about 20 feet out, and that leaves waaaay too much room to play with right in front of me, especially at low speeds. I hope these work for that.

I actually got these lights at Canadian Tire. They're 'Ultra White' foglights, sort of a generic brand that CanTire carries. They were around $50 or so, and they have a few different styles. I was loath to buy them, but they are the only small blue and (most important) square-ish lights I could find. I'm gonna have to go out and buy another set now, stupid me dropping things all over the place...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669585&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1159860042926&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443248512&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

There's a massive link for the online one, but they're cheaper in-store.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2006 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
well, I'm not going to Canada for em! but Im' sure we have something similar here in on fo the chain stores. I'll have to go shopping!
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock