Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4T80e /chevy fitment questions answered !

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4T80e /chevy fitment questions answered ! by 86V8fiero
Started on: 09-28-2006 09:12 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 86V8fiero on 10-12-2006 10:51 PM
86V8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi Folks
Yesterday I got ahold of a junk 350 chevy block w/ 1 piece seal and mocked up the fitment with a bellhousing adapter and the 4T80e transmission. I am happy to say that is fits !!!!!!! I had to cut a portion of the bellhousing flange( on the engine ) which removed a starter bolt, which is unused. (The starter bolts to the adapter plate). I used my old manual trans bellhousing adapter which is 1/2 inch thick for this trial fit. I have ordered a Street Dreams adapter plate for automatic which is 3/4 inch thick. I had to grind a small amount off this adapter to make it fit also. The interference is between the block and the large tailshaft housing which points toward the front of the block and goes almost all the way to the dampner. It didnt look like an oil pan would fit but is does fit with alittle room to spare. I can get my fingers in between the oil pan and the transmission. This was my majior worry for this swap. The next hurtle---- fitment in the craddle and exhaust. I already have a complete exhaust system with block hugger headers, duel in duel out flowmaster muffler and electric cuttouts. The rear header will have to be severely modifyied to clear the tailshaft of the transmission. I will post more info as I get it. By the way, I received my RYAN HESS semiautomatic controller. Of course I have not used it yet but it look great! Just about everything is included like wire, hardware, LED readout thing for the dash. And a GREAT INSTRUCTION MANUAL is included which is very well written!! I am impressed!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tvelarde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tvelardeClick Here to visit tvelarde's HomePageSend a Private Message to tvelardeDirect Link to This Post
You may want to jump over to https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html and take a look at a 5 page build thread that is in progress right now that involves a 4T60 and an LT1. Lots of great info for your swap also.

I am using the Street Dreams adapter right now that has been modified by Ross of Street Dreams to tilt the automatic to the right by 5degrees to require less of the stock removal on the starter block on your engine. You can see clearance pictures on my build site located at http://64.17.190.253/1987_gt.htm as well as a previous V8 build on the yellow 88 car.

Good luck and have fun with this build.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any pics ? Did you see any potential interferance problems with the oil pan and the tranny?

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

86V8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi:
Here are some pictures of the 4T80e mounted to a mock up block and oil pan. I also included ome pictures of my exhaust system w/ electric cutouts.
86V8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post

86V8fiero

127 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Hi Again:
I am having trouble with the PIP. Let me try again.[img]
86V8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post

86V8fiero

127 posts
Member since Sep 2006
The first picture is the bellhousing adapter clearanced to the transmission. This is the mock up block with oil pan and transmission. Sorry I cant seem to get bigger pictures to load and only one at a time.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Hey bro good job ! Can you get some pics of the rear exhaust manifold and how it clears the tranny?
86V8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Fierophrek
The pictrue of my exhaust is with the old tranny. I have not solved the rear header problem yet. BTW, I received my auto flex plate and adapter plate from Street Dreams. The flex plate is now at a machine shop being modified. The stock Fiero tranny has a torque converter with 3 BOLTS. The 4T80e's converter has FOUR BOLTS. Spacers are welded to the three holes and will have to be removed, the new holes drilled and new spacers installed. Even though I have a drill press, I decided this was best done on a lathe. They are also making a new bushing that will locate the converter in the flywheel. It will be a press fit in the larger (outer) hole (1.70 in.) in the crankshaft and a nice fit with the torque converter stubshaft. Some people do not do this and only have the bolts to locate the converter but I think it is much better to have it this way. The bushing will insure the torque converter is not out of balance when it spins at over 6500 rpm. I should have the flexplate late next week. While I am waiting for it, I will mock up the trans for the first time to my real engine. last night, I cut off the piece on the rear of the block. That was a little scarry but because I used a junk block to make shure it would work, it went ok. I have to cut a little off the Street Dreams adapter so it will clear the tailshaft yet. More pictures will follow.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna use the the cc-90 headers because they merge to the collecter higher than the block huggers you have. This will allow me to put a 90* turn in right out of the header to clear the tranny. I'l se if i can fit the trans,adapter and mototr together and take some pics of what i plan on doing. When i get time off of work. . . stupid mandatory overtime .
86V8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86V8fieroSend a Private Message to 86V8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I have been working on it a little since the last post. I have the engine bolted to the transmission with the auto adapter and mocked up on the cradle. I had to cut a section the the front of the cradle where the slotted holes for the transmission mount are to clear the new transmission. The T80 is so big that the engine has to be mounted 2 inches to the right like a V8 Archie kit, which means an electric water pump is in my future. The trans is right up against the left rail where the control arm mounts so cutting is not an option there. I got the flywheel back from the machine shop. The flywheel , or rather flex plate is a new Street Dreams piece for a stock fiero 125 transmission and had three bolt holes for the converter. The T80 has four. Some sweat talking and $80 fixed that. All the other guys that I talked to that used this transmission had the caddy cv shafts machined down to accept the stock outer cvs. Although this works, it makes a weak link in the drivetrain so I am tring somthing different. I purchased a used knuckle out of a late eighties celibrity with heavy duty brakes (JA2 or JA8 ). It looks like it is interchagable with the stock fiero rear except for the larger bearing mounting flange. GUESS WHAT! The caddy wheel bearing fits in the mounting flange with just a little grinding to inlarge the hole and the three bolts line up perfect! So my machine shop friend has another job. Redrilling the flange on the caddy bearings for the 100 mm pattern and enlarging the center hole of the 2 lebaron rotors to fit the bearings. The center of the hub is so big I will probably have to use studs instead of regular wheel studs( which have heads ) for clearance. Will know in a couple of days if it will work but it looks like it will. THIS WILL ALOW ME TO USE THE STOCK ,MASSIVE CADDY OUTER CV JOINTS. More on this later when I get them back. I will have pictures. Bill

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock