Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Service Notice: Coolant quick connect fitting.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Service Notice: Coolant quick connect fitting. by theogre
Started on: 09-27-2006 07:35 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: theogre on 09-29-2006 11:02 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
As many of you know, there is a coolant fitting under the intake manifold of the L4 engines. (I don't think the V6 uses the fitting but most of this applies to any other engine, and that is a bunch, that do.)

If this fitting is leaking, or if you even think it might be leaking intermittently, replace it ASAP. Even if you don’t think it is leaking, it should be replaced as a PM item. This fitting will leak at some point. Odds are the one you have now may not even be the original one.

I know I said you may be able to clean/replace the O ring in the fitting. Forget it. If this fitting drips at all it can get coolant on the ignition. Coolant is very conductive. Just a few drops are enough to increase the miss rate and drastically hurt fuel economy. Allot of leakage can kill the ignition completely.

The fitting is MotorMite/Dorman PN 800-401. It looks a little different than the OE fitting, don’t worry about that. You can get this part thru any parts store.

You should also buy an intake manifold gasket and TBI base gasket. If the fitting breaks during removal, odds are you’ll need those gaskets. As long as you don’t open the gaskets, you’ll be able to return them later if you got away w/o them.

I recommend you remove the distributor/brick from the engine. That will give you more room to work and prevent coolant soaking the ignition. As it is you’ll want to make sure that all the ignition parts are cleaned of any coolant residue, dirt, and oil. Silly to repair the fitting but leave residue that will cause problems the first time humidity climbs.

The fitting broke...

Yeah, they do that. Allot. You can try a bolt or plumbing fitting extractor. They might work. If so you may not have to take off the manifold. Now aren’t you glad you got the ignition out of your way already? You’ll want that access real quick now.

The problem is the fitting is insanely soft. Extractors often can’t get traction in it. The softness however gives us another option.

Now we need a way to make the fitting smaller.

To do that you need a fine tooth hacksaw blade and a grinder. The grinder is for the saw blade. You’ll need to grind the back way at one end of the blade until it will pass thru the fitting.

Wrap tape around the blade or use a blade handle. You only need about 3-4 inches at one end.

Very carefully cut the fitting from the inside toward the threads. Here’s the catch... This is an NPT plumbing part, (No it isn’t metric.) which means a taper thread. If you don’t understand, head to a store and look carefully at how a 1/2” pipe fits any fitting handy. That taper is how the threads create a seal.

It is going to be tricky to cut the fitting and not destroy the intake opening. You’ll need two cuts so that the fitting will collapse.

Once you’ve cut it enough, it will collapse or even crack in two parts that you will have to carefully work out of the hole. To help it collapse you may need to tap on it a little. Whatever you do you’ve got to keep damage to the hole to the absolute minimum.

I have done this on the car but I’ve done this sort of thing a few times. If you’ve never done it, pull the intake so you can see what you are doing.

Before you install the new fitting you will need to chase the threads. You need an NPT plumbing tap. (1/2” pipe I think.) Be careful or you can easily ream the opening too large and the new fitting won’t seal. All you want to do is clean. If there is damage maybe a very slight cut. More than that and the hole will quickly become too large and the whole manifold is FUBAR. I don’t know if or how the manifold could be salvaged.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
I've always wondered what people were on about when they mentioned a quick connect fitting on the intake manifold.
I just pulled the hose off the U shaped pipe when I pulled off my intake.
What's the deal?
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
My 88 L4 doesn't look like it ever had a hose going to the manifold. There is a keyed plug that looks like one used in an outdoor electrical box. Where did the other end of the hose go?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The fitting is on the bottom, as in under, of the L4 intake in Fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock