Car wont start by SewerRat
Started on: 09-23-2006 12:41 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: SewerRat on 09-24-2006 04:23 PM
SewerRat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SewerRatSend a Private Message to SewerRatDirect Link to This Post
Here we go again....

86 Fiero GT 2.8 V6..

Just put in a new battery and terminals. Put new exhaust from the manifold to tips, including new cat and muffler. The engine cranks, but won't turn over. I noticed some white smoke coming out of the side grill behind the drivers door. I opened the air filter cap, taking the filter out, and noticed smoke coming out of there when I was attempting to start. Possible ideas?? Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like fuel mist. You didn't do anything else? For that to happen would almost think valve timing was off.
If that is not possible did you bump something around the Dist. or coil. Have you checked to see if there is any spark at a plug?
Did you replace to the manifolds or did you have them off.
Suppose fuel mist could come back thru the egr and out the intake if there was no spark.
Just making guesses since don't have anymore informaiton.

SewerRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SewerRatSend a Private Message to SewerRatDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I apologize - that was pretty vague...

It all started this springtime. My exhaust had rotted out pretty bad. I had more holes in the pipe than I did have pipe. I replaced all of the exhaust from the clamp at the manifold/cat pipe connection all the way to the dual tips at the end. The manifold piping looked great. Northern weather and the age of the car I figured road salt from the previous owner driving in winters, although the last several years they aren't using the road salt like they used to, but some different compound. Anyways, after replacing the exhaust, it ran great for a few days. The power on acceleration didn't seem to be what it used to be however. Not a major difference, but noticable. Then one morning on the way to work when I was getting off the highway (here in MI, they are round ramps), the car stalled out and died. Had a friend jump the car about an hour later and I went to work. Then going home getting off the highway again, it stalled out. I had this feeling that maybe a wire or something was shifting over going in a circle at a good rate of speed. Anyways, while coasting down I was able to start again, but I could not get up to 45 MPH. I had the accelerator floored to keep it that high, but when I started hearing funny noises, I eased up. I could maintain 40 for a while, then 35 for a while, then finally it died again. Jumping the battery did no good. It just cranked and wouldn't turn over.

I'm a little concerned now though. Now that after I have a new battery and terminals installed so I could try again and see what happens (6 months later now), the engine cranks and doesn't turn over. As I mentioned, I noticed smoke coming out of the side and traced it back to where the air filter is. Since I've been typing this, I now recall a popping sound when the car was running this past spring whenever I pressed down on the accelerator. Would idle fine, but acceleration would cause the popping. Now that I see with the air filter going over to the engine, I'm a little nervous that I may have an engine problem?? An ignition control or computer problem?? Really depressing since I bought this car last summer to relive the days when I owned 3 of them from 86 to 94... Been wanting to do work on this, but would still like it driveable for the time being. I'm confused to what could be causing this. Hope this more info helps..

[This message has been edited by SewerRat (edited 09-23-2006).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
So you replaced from the cat back correct? You did not replace the cat. If not that could very well be your problem. They like to plug up with rust and junk and kill your power.
You might try pulling the O2 and runnng the engine. Usually there should be some low pressure coming out the bung but if the at is plugged you will get some good pressure out. If your system was that rusty and shot your cat is most likely filled also.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
First post says new cat, but I've seen new ones fail, they crack and block the exhaust. pulling the o2 would check that quick enough.

is your tach indicating rpm when cranking? if not, check for spark right at the coil. if no spark, you can try to narrow down,
check the pickup coil in the dist. disconnect it from the module, use a decent ohmmeter. should be 750-1500 ohms. new one is about 875. if that checks ok, take the module out and have it tested at one of the chain stores.
if they are both ok, replace the coil.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 09-23-2006).]

Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SewerRat:

Here we go again....

86 Fiero GT 2.8 V6..

Just put in a new battery and terminals. Put new exhaust from the manifold to tips, including new cat and muffler. The engine cranks, but won't turn over. I noticed some white smoke coming out of the side grill behind the drivers door. I opened the air filter cap, taking the filter out, and noticed smoke coming out of there when I was attempting to start. Possible ideas?? Thanks!

Cranking and turning over are the same thing, How many miles on it?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Wonder, could a plugged cat also cause the mist out the intake from the back pressure? Hummm!
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I've plugged 3 cats up in fieros, it never stopped em from starting. would have to be a solid plug for that, and yes it could cause mist. least I know a potato in a carbed car exhaust will cause it in the carb....don't ask...
SewerRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SewerRatSend a Private Message to SewerRatDirect Link to This Post
Ok, that was a dumb moment on the cranking/turning over deal.. It cranks but doesn't start. The tach flutters a little bit while it's cranking, but we're only talkin around 100 - just minor movement.. And the cat was replaced. I started just on the engine side of the cat to the tips..

Someone a while back mentioned about checking the ignition control / ECM, but as I researched all these threads with similar problems, I've been reading a lot about the coil being a possible issue as well. I'll need to pick up an ohmmeter to check and pull the O2 as mentioned.

Will give an update as soon as I can. Thanks a lot guys.

(btw, miles are 122,500)
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Your either not getting spark or fuel one or the other,spray some starter fluid into the intake and see if it fires up,that will tell you if it's fuel related.When you first tun the key,do you hear the 3 to 5 second buzz from the fuel pump (if not check the fuel pump relay)?You should eventually buy a fuel pressure tester (this will tell you if it's low fuel pressure,the fuel pressure regulater or the fuel filter).Light smoke from the intake is normal.You may want to find the problem faster by useing winaldl.If your not getting spark then it could be your ignition modual (and pickup) or the ignition switch (not the key switch).Start by checking for the fuel test.Allso take a mirror and check the wires attached to the wireing harness to the bottom of the harness at the right rear of the battery.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
http://www.aldlcable.com/

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Have you pulled any codes?
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
Engine will crank --but not start--has sit for some time.
1. bad plugs
2. bad plug wires
3. tainted gas
4. fuel system/pressure needs checked also fuel filter
5. distributor and all components need checked/replaced
6. Broken or loose wire connections in the starting system
7. check pigtails at dis & coil
8. faulty coil, modual, pick up coil
PFF
System Bot
SewerRat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SewerRatSend a Private Message to SewerRatDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again guys. I'm thinking of just trying to sell it off. I just don't have the time nor money to put into this car anymore. May change my mind and try next weekend. It's a fustration thing, but I'll go through all your advises eventually and update.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock