Car idles extremely high, intermittently by fierogreg
Started on: 09-21-2006 07:49 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: 3800superfast on 09-24-2006 08:43 AM
fierogreg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogregSend a Private Message to fierogregDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 84 Indy last week and ever since I have had a high idle problem. When warm, the car idles at about 1k. When cold, it idles anywhere from 2k to 3500! I don't know why, but sometimes I'll start it and it will idle at about 2k or a little less, but sometimes I'll start it and it'll idle all the way up to about 3500 rpm. I have no idea what's causing it. I haven't checked for codes yet, but will tomorrow. The car drives ok, but seems to me that it's revving way too high in fourth gear. I'll be on the highway cruising at about 75, and rpms will be at about 4k. I could be wrong but isn't that a little high?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-21-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogreg:

I bought my 84 Indy last week and ever since I have had a high idle problem. When warm, the car idles at about 1k. When cold, it idles anywhere from 2k to 3500! I don't know why, but sometimes I'll start it and it will idle at about 2k or a little less, but sometimes I'll start it and it'll idle all the way up to about 3500 rpm. I have no idea what's causing it. I haven't checked for codes yet, but will tomorrow. The car drives ok, but seems to me that it's revving way too high in fourth gear. I'll be on the highway cruising at about 75, and rpms will be at about 4k. I could be wrong but isn't that a little high?

Check the tube that goes from the egr to over near the throttle body.. They break a lot and cause stuff like this. ( one of mine did, bought a real nice flexable tube from the fiero store and never had a problem since, Will do the same when it breaks in my other fiero. )

fierogreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogregSend a Private Message to fierogregDirect Link to This Post
Just checked for codes and got none.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I bought my 84 Indy last week and ever since I have had a high idle problem. When warm, the car idles at about 1k. When cold, it idles anywhere from 2k to 3500! ....

The car drives ok, but seems to me that it's revving way too high in fourth gear.

My Indy has an intermittent high idle also, but you have two separate things here. Idle means that your car is in neutral and the engine is running. The engine is free to rev at whatever speed the ECM, (through the IAC) tells it too.

In 4th gear, unless your clutch is slipping, your engine speed is determined by your speed and gearing, and nothing else. If you have the 4:10 gears, (which I believe all Indys got) your engine revs in 4th gear are what they are. Unless you swap trannys it won't change.

As for your Idle, I would check the IAC. Also check the Throttle position sensor, make sure it's not hung up. Also look for loose or cracked vacuum hoses. Almost anything can affect the idle. I haven't tracked my intermittent high idle down yet, but it only affects the car when it's not moving and the engine is running, which is not that often.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
This was my problem. Has been running perfect ever since. Hope it helps. If you don't have Winadl, find someone with a scanner for OBD1.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/075289.html

Kevin
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by User00013170:

Check the tube that goes from the egr to over near the throttle body.. They break a lot and cause stuff like this. ( one of mine did, bought a real nice flexable tube from the fiero store and never had a problem since, Will do the same when it breaks in my other fiero. )

Don't have this set up on the 84 Indy duke.

Kevin

fierogreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogregSend a Private Message to fierogregDirect Link to This Post
The previous owner told me that there's a connection in the engine bay that turns on the cooling fan which is not connected. Could this make a difference?
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
If it is the cooling fan switch, I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference on the idle. If it were the coolant sensor disconnected, it would throw a code. Mine was just making bad enough contact to throw off the reading, but still enough to not show disconnected, and throw a code. Disconnected coolant sensor will throw code 15.

Kevin
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Try running the winaldl program , its saves alot of time and guess work.. However I don`t think winaldl supports some of the 4 cylinder Fieros. Check the supported vehicles. You can build a cable also.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
http://www.aldlcable.com/
fierogreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogregSend a Private Message to fierogregDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to build my own cable, but the instructions on that site didn't really make any sense to me. Any advice?
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2006 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Strat110 sells them for a couple bucks, if that helps some, I got the one on the site because he sold me a laptop at to good of a deal to pass down. You could try the mall section , hes in there sometimes. The Radio Shack guys (in the back) know this stuff too, you could print off the instructions and run it past them, they have always been very helpfull where I live..
PFF
System Bot
fierogreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogregSend a Private Message to fierogregDirect Link to This Post
Just checked for codes again and got a 24, vss. But my speedo works perfectly. Could this be an issue with the tps being bad or out of adjustment?
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-23-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Don't have this set up on the 84 Indy duke.

Kevin

I mis-read the year.. doh !no V6's that year..... nevermind

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 09-23-2006).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Just checked for codes again and got a 24, vss. But my speedo works perfectly.

The VSS goes from the speedometer TO the ECM so you can have a working speedometer and no VSS to the ECM. That will definitely throw a code and it could affect idle.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2006 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Re-read your first post, from 1K to 2500 to 3500 rpms , is alot , may want to start looking for vacum leaks, if you unplug the iac and there is not changes in the idle, you should look for a vac leak, the CTS sensor can do this as well. A sticking or binding cable can cause this along with a pcv vavle thats shot or plugged up.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock