Started on: 09-15-2006 11:02 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: fierogt3800 on 09-20-2006 10:52 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I know you true blue paint guys probably hate the thought of rattle can paint getting on a car but if I just want some color on the decklid and don`t want to spend much could I later down the line get the deck lid media blasted of all of the old rattle can paint? I have checked with the cheap places such as Econo and Maaco and they still want close to 200.00 just to paint it. I don`t have a gun which at HD I`ve seen a gravity feed for 70.00 and I would probably spend at least 100.00 on all of the materials to paint it myself so I thought I would try the rattle can just to get some color.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
You won`t need to media blast it when your ready--just sand it down... Macco is 200.00?? for a decklid?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Maaco said they start at that, they would have to look at it.
That was for a base and clear coat.
Earl Sheib said for a one stage it would probably be 150.00 or up.
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
.They sell cheap HVLP guns at Menards for like $50 it will be 100X better than spray paint. Plus you could prolly buy the right stuff for about the same price as all that spray paint will cost you. i think i paid just over $100 for over a gallon of "sprayable" paint when i did my neon. base/clear will be a little more expensive, But Sherwin Williams "shemrins" or something like that is a pretty cheap paint. you wont need anywhere near that much to do just the decklid though, i got like 6-7 coats on the ENTIRE car with what i had and i did the inside of the trunk, under the hood and door jams as well. I would just fork out a little $$ and do it right. Hell you could paint your whole car for like $300 -/+ with a BC/CC prolly like $200 if you go Enamel.

heres what i did with that Acrylic Enamel and a $50 gun from menards.

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
Your assuming he has a compressor, saftey equipment, garage to shoot, and the know how.
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

Your assuming he has a compressor, saftey equipment, garage to shoot, and the know how.

who doesnt have a compressor, or a friend with one?

safety... i stuck a fan blowing out a window and used a $5 respirator

i have painted a few cars outside as long as the temp is right and its not windy

its not hard to pull a trigger. After that its just like spray paint. the neon was the first car i ever painted. first time i ever even touched a spray gun for that matter, its turned out FANTASTIC!!! and it was a metallic, as most know those are a little harder to work with than a regular paint. I "learned" how to paint a car by watching Overhaulin, CCR, SCR, etc... it is REALLY easy!!
nu2fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nu2fieroSend a Private Message to nu2fieroDirect Link to This Post
We have OReilly Part stores here in Missouri and their paint stores will mix a single stage paint using your paint code off your car and put it in a rattle can for you. Price depends on color but normally around the 25.00 dollarmark. So you might check around your paint outlets. Good luck.
under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
SOME (not all) of the rattle-can stuff is pretty good paint. Duplicolor and Krylon are excellent stuff. I've seen cars done exclusivley in them and you cant tell the difference from a gun job. BUT, the guys that did it had a lot of experience using them AND its gonna cost. A good rattle can costs 10 bucks up here and figure 3-4 of them per panel on avarage, you get what you pay for with those things. Overall, the paint job will end up costing more than a Maaco job.

On the other hand, you dont have to deal with pushy salesmen bumping the price and arguing with you over it every time you turn around. That in itself is worth a few bucks extra. Its AMAZING how some of the bodyshops can tripple an advertised price just because its thursday and partly cloudy and the sales guy had tacos when he wanted steak for lunch. Thier advertised prices arent worth the paper they are printed one.
chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nu2fiero:

We have OReilly Part stores here in Missouri and their paint stores will mix a single stage paint using your paint code off your car and put it in a rattle can for you. Price depends on color but normally around the 25.00 dollarmark. So you might check around your paint outlets. Good luck.

Most paint supply stores will put a custom color in a spary can for you. You can get a gravity feed non-HVLP spary gun at habor frieght for 14.99 and rent a spary booth . comes with compressor
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I will in the future be painting the entire car using a fairly good gun and premium paint but for right now I just want color on my decklid. I guess I could buy a cheap gun and later use it for a primer gun. I checked with a paint store here in Austin and it would cost 25.00 for the color mix plus 4.00 per can after that. The guy says it yeilds about 3-1/2 cans but that it will look like a spray job from a can so I guess you get what you pay for. I have a couple of weeks to decide what to do so thanks for everyone`s comments.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Just paint the deck lid flat primer black for the ' in process ' look.

Mark
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
That`s a good idea Mark.
I just may do that. That way if I didn`t get the filler perfectly straight then it won`t show as bad because I mainly want to have it ready for a get together here in Texas next month.
Mike
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2006 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
It also gives you the opportunity to repair anything you think needs a little straightening. It's a great temporary surface to work with and to show off during the ' modification ' process.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
Mike,
If black is ok, use high tempature engine paint. It comes in flat and simi gloss. Maybe even gloss. I have used it alot on the black trim work on cars and wiper arms. You would be suprised just how long that stuff will stay on a car, then again, if it dosent come of an engine at several hundred degrees, it should stick to the body.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I think I might just go ahead and get a spray gun and do it myself. I called Maaco back and they said that 200.00 price wasn`t even putting primer down and a guy at the local paint store said that if I have sanded into the SMC, which I have, I need to prime it but he said I would need a 2.0 or a 2.2 tip to spray polyester primer which is what I need for the SMC. If I don`t use a gun much could I get a gun with 2 different size tips and just go ahead and spray the primer and the paint with the same gun?
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
Check out the color codes for Rustoleum paint and see if any match your current paint...if so, thin it down about 10-15% with mineral spirits and brush or roller it on your decklid with a foam roller.

There's a thread on the Moparts site regarding rolling on paint. Many have had good results.

------------------

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I think I might just go ahead and get a spray gun and do it myself. I called Maaco back and they said that 200.00 price wasn`t even putting primer down and a guy at the local paint store said that if I have sanded into the SMC, which I have, I need to prime it but he said I would need a 2.0 or a 2.2 tip to spray polyester primer which is what I need for the SMC. If I don`t use a gun much could I get a gun with 2 different size tips and just go ahead and spray the primer and the paint with the same gun?

If you sanded down through the factory primer, yeah...you need to prime. You can use the same gun for primer and paint, but make sure you clean it out really well and let it dry before you spray. Harbor Freight should have a gun you can get very cheap to do the job you have. If you plan on spraying more in the future, then I'd suggest buying a good gun instead of a cheapie.

Mark

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again Mark and everyone else.
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post
forget the shops. check with a few local clubs, there are many guy's who do thier own work and some on the side. and many are very talented. ALL professinal shops rake in free money. find a expeienced hobbist to do it. most will do it for the price of materials, or next to nothing for labor.

------------------
Artero Rebody , 18"s, 91' 350 SBC / Muncie 4spd
85.5 Porsche 944 euro *for sale*
92' Yamaha FZR 600R

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:
If you plan on spraying more in the future, then I'd suggest buying a good gun instead of a cheapie.
Mark

Ditto---Look or ask around, theres alot of nice guns out there , that are keepers, that don`t cost a fortune, Binks, Develbliss, Sharpe, ect...

fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

Ditto---Look or ask around, theres alot of nice guns out there , that are keepers, that don`t cost a fortune, Binks, Develbliss, Sharpe, ect...

SATA

------------------
92' Yamaha FZR 600R

PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Are you trying to give him a heart attack--he could by a new car for what those cost..lol...Nice choice/taste in spray guns..
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

Are you trying to give him a heart attack--he could by a new car for what those cost..lol...Nice choice/taste in spray guns..

my 85GT project, shape t1 for primer. Satajet 2000 digital. 1.4 tip for urathane sealer, base, and clear.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Very, very nice work --ok guys that settles it wer`e all going over to fierogt3800`s house for a paint party....BYOP..... Where did you learn to shoot like that??
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
This is rattle can. It red spray from lowes and it is amazing how close it is to the stock color. The Hood, Truck and Lower skirts are all rattle the rest is factory. The real trick to rattle cans is to also get the CLEAR too. If you do just the color it will fade pretty quick. But the Clear does not fade. The paint on this car is 2 years old in the picture

When I repainted the car I just sanded and the sealed it.

Hope this helps
Jesse

------------------
1988 GT 2.8 3Auto
1986 GT 3.4 DOHC 5Speed
1986 GT 4.9 4Auto

fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2006 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post

Very, very nice work --ok guys that settles it wer`e all going over to fierogt3800`s house for a paint party....BYOP..... Where did you learn to shoot like that??

I hired a guy to paint my car. and ended helping him with the bodywork then i sprayed one panel, he told me to keep going. then the car was finished... . then somehow i was doing other jobs, and now working with him . a really nice guy, I learned everthing i know about autobody from him.

------------------
92' Yamaha FZR 600R

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock