Started on: 08-31-2006 02:43 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Max The Chainsaw on 09-04-2006 11:13 PM
Max The Chainsaw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Occasionally I here people asking how to do always-on power windows. While I did this topic in my ZR-2 build thread, I thought someone might like a seperate how-to thread on it in case anyone missed it in the ZR-2 thread. I hope you all don't mind.....

There are several ways you can supply battery power to your windows, ranging from just putting a fuse holder between the fuse spot on the fuse block and hooking the other end to battery power, to rewireing your switches. My way of doing it falls somewhere between, but I think that if the factroy were going to do it, they would have done something similar.

This way is really easy, and when you are done, almost invisible. So, withought further ado, my power window conversion.

First thing to do is lower the fuse box and remove the 2 (7mm) screws that hold it in. Remove all the fuses and breakers from the row that the window power is in as in this picture:

Next turn the fuse block over and look at the back side. The two connections we will be modifying are the red and orange wires in the feed row for this row of fuses. The red wire is Battery + and the orange wire is Ignition +.

Notice if you will, the feed to the window switches is located on the end of the 3 wire connector of the Ignition feed that is closest to the battery feed. This is perfect for the conversition, as you will see.

You need to take a very small screwdriver or other small pointy object and push in the lock tabs on the top and bottom of each connector on both connectors. This will release the connectors to come out of the back of the fuse block.

You now have the 2 connectors out and you can see how they are made to jump from one fuse terminal to the next. Also note the unused crimps on the outer terminals. This is another blessing to help us out. Take your pointy object and bend the lock tangs on the terminals back outward so they will lock in when you reinsert them when you are done modifying the terminals.

You now want to take the orange (Ignition) terminal set and make 2 cuts in the jumper part to seperate the window terminal end from the other 2. Be sure to allow some space between the two cuts so the window terminal can't contact the Ignition terminals again. This would bad.......

Be right back, 6 picture limit per post........

Max
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
OK, here you can see the cuts you make in the window feed terminal. You want to remove enough material so it can not touch back again later.

Next, you take a piece of 12 guage wire (I used 10 guage in this conversation since it was all I had, but 12 is big enough) and crimp it onto the now loose window terminal and the unused crimp on the battery terminal, like in this picture:

Next, solder the wire onto the terminals just to make sure the connection is good and strong:

And push the terminals back into the fuse block where they originally were.

This picture shows the completed rear of the fuse block. Note the red jumper wire installed between the two original wires. This will supply battery voltage to the windows at all times. Now you only have to replace the fuses and breakers back where they were, remount the fuse block, and enjoy your windows.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks

------------------

The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely awesome! Big plus for ya. Thanks, I'm gonna do this one asap

Steve

------------------

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
A very good write -up.

A + for you.

Archie
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i do that to a lot of cars and i love having my windows powered all the time.
i cant count how many times i have ran out to the car cause it's raining and i left the windows down.

(although you're method is a lot prettier than the way i do it)
so i recommend people follow your steps.

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Wow!! Thanks guys. I'm glad I can help someone with some of the little details like this one.

And special thanks to Archie and Buddycraigg, means a lot having some of the forem's best known members say they like your ideas.

Max
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Gotta make this a favorite .
ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
A+++ Thanks
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Max
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I want a green bar too, I should do threads like this more often I guess.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the write up, I'll definately be doing this. A + for you!

Nolan
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:
Thanks guys, glad you like it.
Max

look pal...
you' e not getting another plus from me cause i already gave you one with the reason as "With the belt routed his way"

who knows what the hell that was supposed to mean
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
ok...
i'm not going to say anything but a picture is worth 1000 words
Tytehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up on how you did it, but you do realize Rodney Dickman has a kit to do this for sale on his site.....

http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html

Click on the electrical tab....

Nice write up none the less....
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

ok...
i'm not going to say anything but a picture is worth 1000 words

LOL Hey, I didn't do that!! It was Pontiac!!! I swear!!!

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Max The Chainsaw

1140 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I want a green bar too, I should do threads like this more often I guess.

I hope I didn't take this wrong, but I didn't do this to get a green bar. Heck I don't even have a bar!!!
I was just doing the conversion to the wife's car and thought I'd let everyone know how to do it.

Max
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Max The Chainsaw

1140 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Originally posted by Tytehead:

Nice write up on how you did it, but you do realize Rodney Dickman has a kit to do this for sale on his site.....

http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html

Click on the electrical tab....

Nice write up none the less....

Thanks for the link, I didn't realize Rodney had a kit for this. I'm sure it's very good quality as everything I've ever gotton from Rodney has been excellent. There are several ways to accomplish this endevor. I just posted my way of doing it. I hope no one objects.

Thanks

Max
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
No objection here, your way costs next to nothing.

Thanks again!
Nolan
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the link, I didn't realize Rodney had a kit for this. I'm sure it's very good quality as everything I've ever gotton from Rodney has been excellent. There are several ways to accomplish this endevor. I just posted my way of doing it. I hope no one objects.
Thanks
Max

i'm sure rodney has tons of things that we didn't know were for sale unless you visit his website a lot.

rodney is a trustwrothy vender, but free/cheap is always good.
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I just didn't want to upset anyone. And that's all too easy to do with so many people on the forem.

Max
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 09-01-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Heck I don't even have a bar!!!

liar!!!

Tytehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
I hope you didn't think I was implying you had done something wrong by doing the write up when Rodney had a kit available, as that was not my intent. I thought it was very good and gave everyone another option for this neat mod that I have done myself. I was merely mentioning the Rodney kit for those that are less mechanically inclined or would like an easier way to do it. I like the way you did it, as it is a cleaner install and may attempt that on my other fiero.

After re-reading my post I guess I did word it in a way that could be perceived as taking issue with your post, but that was not my intent.

Thanks again for the write up.

[This message has been edited by Tytehead (edited 09-01-2006).]

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

liar!!!

OMG !!!! Where did THAT come from.

Thanks Guys

Max
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Max The Chainsaw

1140 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Originally posted by Tytehead:

I hope you didn't think I was implying you had done something wrong by doing the write up when Rodney had a kit available, as that was not my intent. I thought it was very good and gave everyone another option for this neat mod that I have done myself. I was merely mentioning the Rodney kit for those that are less mechanically inclined or would like an easier way to do it. I like the way you did it, as it is a cleaner install and may attempt that on my other fiero.

After re-reading my post I guess I did word it in a way that could be perceived as taking issue with your post, but that was not my intent.

Thanks again for the write up.

OK, Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. Sorry if I offended.

Max

Tytehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2006 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
No offense taken whatsoever....I was afraid that I had offended you by my post, which was not intended either.

I would never want to do anything that would prevent someone from posting their suggestions, ideas or helpful tips, just like the one you have posted here.

Keep up the good work and keep the ideas coming.

Kelin
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
okay. you guys need to kiss and make up...

now someone do a write-up on replacing the pick up coil

------------------

Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

okay. you guys need to kiss and make up...

now someone do a write-up on replacing the pick up coil

Consider it done.

Now about the pickup coil, I could replace the coil in my Nissan Pickup, but I don't see the relevance for a Fiero Board.

Max

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
excellent write up and documentation.

I installed power windows in my car and I chose to make them full-time.

But if you have small children there is a danger that if your car is unlocked that they might get in the car and then get some body part lodged in the window. If you closly supervise your children the danger is small, but accidents do happen.

Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
Not two hours ago I was asking myself how I could make my windows full time. Thank goodness I was quickly distracted and forgot about it before I put too much of my own effort into figuring it out. Thanks alot.
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

excellent write up and documentation.

I installed power windows in my car and I chose to make them full-time.

But if you have small children there is a danger that if your car is unlocked that they might get in the car and then get some body part lodged in the window. If you closly supervise your children the danger is small, but accidents do happen.

Good point Jonathan. Anyone with small children would definatly want to keep this in mind.

Thanks

Max
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

I'm not real sure about the FMVSS on this one but there is a significant amount of press over the issue of children being injured or killed by power windows. Several of the "safety" groups have been pushing for some time to get load limiting circuits into the PW system so the windows will stop at any point they load up. Much like the Gen 2 HL motors do.

I've seen a number of "full time" and "auto up" options for Fiero and other cars. Never been sure they were a good idea.

Even if you don't have kids... All it takes for this to bite you in the ass is one time leaving your car open. Doesn't matter if you don't have kids. Doesn't matter if whatever place you are visiting doesn't have kids. All you need it kids anywhere in the neighborhood. Kids play. Saddly that means they play where it's not safe. Car interiors. Car Trunks. etc. Kids dies that way. Owners of the vehicles they die in could be held criminally or sued for whatever they have. It's something to think about. It's one of the factors in why I did the trunk wiring change in my cave that makes you turn on the ignition.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

... All it takes for this to bite you in the ass is one time leaving your car open.

It's one of the factors in why I did the trunk wiring change in my cave that makes you turn on the ignition.

I've been thinking about putting a hidden kill switch on my windows, that way the likelihood of a kid operating the windows unsupervised is greatly reduced.

As for the trunk, making that operate full-time was not such a good idea. Makes it impossible to secure anything in the trunk if someone breaks a window to get in.
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toaster_Man:

Not two hours ago I was asking myself how I could make my windows full time. Thank goodness I was quickly distracted and forgot about it before I put too much of my own effort into figuring it out. Thanks alot.

You're welcome. glad to be of help.

Max
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Max The Chainsaw

1140 posts
Member since Oct 2000

Originally posted by theogre:

I'm not real sure about the FMVSS on this one but there is a significant amount of press over the issue of children being injured or killed by power windows. Several of the "safety" groups have been pushing for some time to get load limiting circuits into the PW system so the windows will stop at any point they load up. Much like the Gen 2 HL motors do.

I've seen a number of "full time" and "auto up" options for Fiero and other cars. Never been sure they were a good idea.

Even if you don't have kids... All it takes for this to bite you in the ass is one time leaving your car open. Doesn't matter if you don't have kids. Doesn't matter if whatever place you are visiting doesn't have kids. All you need it kids anywhere in the neighborhood. Kids play. Saddly that means they play where it's not safe. Car interiors. Car Trunks. etc. Kids dies that way. Owners of the vehicles they die in could be held criminally or sued for whatever they have. It's something to think about. It's one of the factors in why I did the trunk wiring change in my cave that makes you turn on the ignition.

Good point Ogre. In this world of liability, a person can be held a fault for someone elses mistakes easily. Thanks.

And for the rest of you, do this mod at your own risk.... <----Cover my a$$

Max
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Max The Chainsaw

1140 posts
Member since Oct 2000

I've been thinking about putting a hidden kill switch on my windows, that way the likelihood of a kid operating the windows unsupervised is greatly reduced.

Great idea Jonathan!! Just wire the switch in place of my jumper wire and you're all set to go!!

Max

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock