Started on: 08-09-2006 09:44 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 08-20-2006 02:41 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
With the whole nightmare with this FWD Getrag I have the option of taking an 84 4spd trans. (I know it is an 84 due to the smooth case) Which means it is one of 2 trannys. A 3.32 or a 4.10. The 3.32 gear set transplanted into an 85-86.5 case would be nearly indestructible.

Anyone know any way to find out which trans is which. Is there any external markings that I can go by.

For those that don't know the 3.32 4spd has the tallest gearing of any fiero tranny ever built. Great for a high torque V8 especially on the highway.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I don't know how to tell the difference, but I know I have a 4:10 out in the garage, I can look at it if you need me to.
Formula350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula350Send a Private Message to Formula350Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Anyone know any way to find out which trans is which. Is there any external markings that I can go by.

I dunno, but try putting it in 4th gear then spin the input shaft and count how many revolutions it takes to spin the differential 1 complete turn. If it's a 3.32 final with a 0.73 4th gear, then you should get 2.42 turns. If it's a 4.10 final and 0.81 4th gear, then you would get 3.32 turns. That's just a guess, but worth a try.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
check the rpo code...but you may not be able to do that eh...hmm yeah go with the spin it around theory then..."shrugs"..
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
actually throw 4th gear from a 332 in a 365 and then you have the best of both worlds dave...thats what i have been contemplating....tim.. if you need any help give troy ritchie a call at his shop at TRT transmissions 1-403-341-8769...tell troy i sent yah...mawhahahah...
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
on the outside they are the same.

anything short of spliting the case and counting the teeth on the gears.
the turn the input shaft thing might work, if you could hold one of the axles in place
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

actually throw 4th gear from a 332 in a 365 and then you have the best of both worlds dave...thats what i have been contemplating....tim.. if you need any help give troy ritchie a call at his shop at TRT transmissions 1-403-341-8769...tell troy i sent yah...mawhahahah...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

As for putting just the 4th gear in. Na I want all the higher gears. The one major complaint about the Isuzu was too short of a 1st gear. Even from a rolling start if I hammerd it, the car would go sideways and blow the 245's right off the rims. It was fun, but not when you want to just drive around normal, you are into 2nd heading for 3rd before you make it through in intersection even driving at part throttle.

I guess I will have to see how the turn the diff thing comes out.
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

actually throw 4th gear from a 332 in a 365 and then you have the best of both worlds dave..

If only it was that simple.

While the 1984 Muncies have separate 3rd and 4th gears throughout, the counter shaft of the 1985 (3.65) Muncie has 3/4 cast and pressed on as a single unit. Unless one is up for some creative machining, you can't change only 4th.

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 08-10-2006).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2006 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I just brought home my supposed 3.32 4spd today. Gawd I hope this works. Having a trans that won't rip itself to pieces every few weeks and scream down the highway at insane speeds.

I went out like a good little PFFer and took lots of pics of it and shot Macro Mode on all the numbers, then realized that my camera cord is not here, I left it at work. I don't even have a card reader in the lap top either. So here is the numbers on it

Sorry if the format is not right. I hope someone can understand it.

engraved in this case small number 140 6644 7
next line gm cfm -7

There was also a white sticker, 614DN_M

Anyone know those numbers.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock