Speedometer by Robert 2
Started on: 08-05-2006 12:25 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Robert 2 on 08-05-2006 01:04 PM
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Hi
I have a problem after taking off the needle of my speedometer and reassembling it i can't get it to zero always starting at 10 MPH . When i put the needle back it was right on the stopper . I had to do this to change my trip meter
Could it be that if i have a speedo in miles and put a trip meter in km ? I doubt it cause it is at ten miles an hour without moving .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Did you try putting the needle on with the ignition on (it would be truly pointing at zero)?
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
This may help some. Go to Articales, then go to trouble shooting the speedometer.
http://www.fieros.de/en/main.html
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
how do you apply 12 volt to the speedo when the whole cluster is off the car ? And by the ignition on does it mean that the engine has to run ?
See i am not that bad at mechanic but when it turn at electricity and electronic i am at the same point as my needle has to be on zero
thank you i'll try your method and the one of the german guy
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:
how do you apply 12 volt to the speedo when the whole cluster is off the car ? And by the ignition on does it mean that the engine has to run ?
See i am not that bad at mechanic but when it turn at electricity and electronic i am at the same point as my needle has to be on zero
thank you i'll try your method and the one of the german guy

Robert , I know what you mean, Do`nt care for the electric stuff my-self. I think ? you can get 12 volts to the cluster by just plugging the connectors back in to it--thats the way I would do it--I`m sure theres some other ways--but I keep it simple--as far as the other question **ignition on ** that just means--turn the key to the on postion--But don`t start the car.. I guess you could use any 12 volt accessory or electrical source to power the unit---but don`t know where to tell you to apply it too--(which connection on cluster) hopefully someone will chime in with that info..

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
thank you i'll try that cause i looked in the service manual and they don't show this connector and where to apply power .
Must be early in the morning at your place cause here in Montréal it's only 8:30 in the morning
Got to fix that car cause i am going in an exposition next weekend in Aylmer (that's near Ottawa ) don't know if you know where that is but it Is about 350 miles upnorth New York . i'll be back with the result . Anyhow i'll follow your advise cause you seem to be a knowledged guy saw a lot of your answer and topics in this forum
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
As others have pointed out, you have to apply power to the needle before you put it on. That is the only way to zero the needle. The best way to do it is to plug it into the car and turn the ignition on.

If you want to do it on the bench, you only need to apply power to the speedometer board, which has a separate connector on the bottom of the dash. Here is the pinout of that connector...

As for the speedometer board (84 non cruise, 85-88):

A - not used
B - not used

C - not used
D - not used
E - not used
F - not used

G - not used
H - not used
J - not used

K - not used
L - not used
M - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS (88 only)

N - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS (86-87) ?? per Gary W
P - black/white - ground
R - puple/white - from the VSS (low)
S - Yellow - from the VSS (high)

T - yellow/black - Ignition power to cluster
U - Dark green/white - 2000 pulse per mile Vehicle speed sensor signal to ECM and Cruise

I hope that helps??

- Jonathan

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
thank you all got it fixed .
I bookmarked the url Jonathan just posted .

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock