Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Increasing fuel pressure (The "old school" way)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Increasing fuel pressure (The "old school" way) by goatnipples2002
Started on: 07-13-2006 05:00 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 3800superfast on 07-14-2006 08:53 AM
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
I was told that you can increse fuel pressure by about 5psi by putting a washer under the spring. Is this true? Is this safe? Where exectly would I put this washer if it is true and safe?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Washers come in various thicknesses and yes, you could change your fuel pressure. The question is why? Do you have a more powerful engine? Fuel pressure and injector flow rates are about being right, more is just as much of a power killer as less. The only way to use more fuel is to produce more horsepower, or produce the same horsepower less efficiently.

It would be better to get an adjustable regulator, at least that way the pressure increase (or decrease) won't be so random as you would get with washers.

JazzMan
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
double post

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 07-13-2006).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

goatnipples2002

2055 posts
Member since Jul 2005
I have a 3.2 with a 260 cam and 15lb injectors. I also have nitrous. The reason for the incresed pressure was so that i am at 47psi at wot for sure.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/075042.html
This is my thread that kinda explains my reason for trying to bump up the fuel pressure. The guy who told me to do it said use a nickle and it would be good for a few psi. I am going to see what my pressure is now and try and bump it up to atlest 47psi that way I can keep running my 22F jet.

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 07-13-2006).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Somebody made a home-brewed adjustable fuel pressure regulator for me. He basically just drilled a hole in the top of the stock unit and welded on a nut. Turning the bolt (that goes thru that nut) adjusts the fuel pressure. Simple and effective.

Oh, about that nickel... I believe it should go between the spring and the top cover. The idea is to compress the spring a bit.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-13-2006).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Isn't there just a spring under there? Is there a disc that the bolt pushes on?

My fuel pressure is 40 psi when I rev the motor to red line is that my pressure or do I need to have it under load (driving) to get an accurate psi. I didn't budge above 40psi.
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

My fuel pressure is 40 psi when I rev the motor to red line is that my pressure or do I need to have it under load (driving) to get an accurate psi. I didn't budge above 40psi.

Stock, there's just the spring (which pushes against a disc at the bottom). You'd have to stick a shim up top, then weld on a nut, and run a wing bolt (for ease of adjustment!) into the nut.

To check your WOT pressure, just pull the "T" vacuum line off that feeds your MAP sensor - the other side of it goes to your FP Reg. It'll run like crap while it's off - but you're only doing it for a few seconds anyhow....
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
So just pull the "T" off and what my FP gauge says is my WOT fuel pressure?
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

goatnipples2002

2055 posts
Member since Jul 2005
Okay I took the hose out that is attached to the "T" and it ran very rough, but if you say this is how you test WOT FP then my fuel pressure is about 42psi at WOT...I know it is specs but seems low. I will be modding my stock FP reg very soon. Til then I will just half ass it with some washers because tomorrow I am racing at the track.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Somebody made a home-brewed adjustable fuel pressure regulator for me. He basically just drilled a hole in the top of the stock unit and welded on a nut. Turning the bolt (that goes thru that nut) adjusts the fuel pressure. Simple and effective.

Oh, about that nickel... I believe it should go between the spring and the top cover. The idea is to compress the spring a bit.

yup - thats it. the pressure adjustment is the spring pressure.
thats why the washer under the spring works too.
and, for where you put the washer, you'll see right away when you pop it open.
but, I do like the welding the nut on the top cover, and shooting a screw thru to adjust the spring.
also - before you start thinking of it (I know I did...) - I really wouldn't trust epoxy

3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

At the top right corner of page is what the stock reg looks like, right below it , is an adjustable reg.
http://www.secureleadercom.com/fsstore/default.asp?bodystyle=1&topdeptnumber=234&searchBit=3&dept=240&page=2
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock