Will 3.1 Grand Prix Turbo y-pipe fit 2.8l by spc15tdime
Started on: 07-04-2006 05:59 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 07-04-2006 08:40 PM
spc15tdime

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spc15tdimeSend a Private Message to spc15tdimeDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to put together a turbo kit for my 1985 SE, it's the 2.8l with the 4 spd manual. Around 130000 miles, but, the engine will be getting a full rebuild kit before I do this, new pistons, rings, cams, exhaust, bored .040 over. My question is while I was browsing around the net, I found a Y-pipe off of a 1990 3.1L Turbo Grandprix, will that fit on the 2.8L as well, does anyone know. I know the engines are very similar, but, am not sure if this will fit.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
It won't clear the shift linkage. You might be able to modify it, but stock it will not work.

It will work with an automatic.
spc15tdime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spc15tdimeSend a Private Message to spc15tdimeDirect Link to This Post
Ok thank you very much. In light of that do you know a place where I can get a turbo Y-pipe for a manual? Short of having one custom made at the local exhaust shop, which I may do, but is there anyone that actaually builds them? Thanks again.

**edit**
As an addition to this, what about one of stainless crossover's from The Fiero Store, how hard, and practical, is it to have a flange welded onto that, it seems like it might sit too low to have an adequate amount of room.

[This message has been edited by spc15tdime (edited 07-04-2006).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I built my on turbo pipe. What you have to do is find a place for the turbo, and mount it there. Consider where you want the intake, filter, and then piping to the intake. Once the turbo is in place and positioned properly then work on the manifold. Actually it is not that hard to tack something together, its the measuring and getting it sitting properly in the engine bay. Also, dont forget about the exhaust. You will find that nothing is optimal, and that you will have to compromise on your build. Ideally you would like everything free flowing with little to few bends, but that will not happen. Good Luck.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock