Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Dropping the cradle tomorrow - clutch issues.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Dropping the cradle tomorrow - clutch issues. by The Funkmaster
Started on: 06-18-2006 07:55 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: The Funkmaster on 06-20-2006 09:29 PM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, Spec's clutch killed itself and the throwout bearing, so it's time for me to pull the cradle and ship 'er off to florida so I can get a new one. Mildly frustrating. However, this will give me the opportunity to correct a few things I neglected last time I took it out, so it's all good I suppose. I'll be installing all poly rear bushings and such, new SS brake lines, new hoses, fuel delivery (and return) lines, pressure regulator and gauge... Alarm/starter system, power door locks, the usual. Hopefully Spec will be speedy with the return of my new clutch, I don't want my car sitting for another month or two. Does anyone have any experience with Spec and their return times for warranty?

I'll be pulling a 12+ hour day tomorrow, should be a total riot. Hope to get it all out, then shipped, then I'll have some time to get the fancy toys installed I'll letcha all know what's going on as soon as I know what's going on.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I'm also going to be replacing the cat with a glasspack, and routing the exhaust out through a single pipe. Not sure yet if I'll do it out the back, or out the side. Hard to say, but I like the idea of the side a little more. Any thoughts?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

Oh, I'm also going to be replacing the cat with a glasspack...

I take it that AirCare doesn't extend as far as Chilliwack?

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
It does. But the engine burns pretty clean, and I'll be able to tune the a/f ratio. Compound that with the tasty alcohol-based additives we can get and I think I shouldn't have a problem ...I hope, lol!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

From the AirCare site, I found the following:

A catalytic converter is necessary for all 1988 and newer vehicles to pass an AirCare inspection. Older vehicles may be able to pass inspection without a catalytic converter.

Here’s hoping your Fiero is an ‘87 or older.

Before I put a new cat on my '87 Duke powered Fiero, there was no way it would pass AirCare. However, when I still had my '78 Z28 Camaro on the road with it's built-up 350, it never had a problem passing AirCare without a cat. Go figure...
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
hehehe... Yep, '86 GT all the way

So now the cradle and all associated equipment is on the floor of my garage. Pulled 9 hours solo, then 3 hours with one assistant off and on. Helps with the spare eyes. Managed to break only one bracket on the way out, (just the e-brake clip) and I'll be grabbing a new one from the wreckers later this week so it's all good.

No surprises with the car this time, so I'm happy. Kinda tired, but I'm excited that my car will be useable soon. Really enthusiastic about the new little bits and pieces as well, they're just so shiny!!!

Fill you guys in on the little adventure as soon as I get shiny things installed.

Steve
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

The Funkmaster

1541 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Gonna try to get the remote start/alarm in today... Anyone have any tips on remote start with a 5spd? I don't want to mess osmething up, lol!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I wired in a switch to the same line as the safety switch (whatever it's called) on the clutch pedal. Works great. In the "Off" position, the ignition/starter appears dead when the key is turned.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I just don't want to leave it in gear and then try to remote start it... Maybe I will have to try rigging a switch to the shift cable so it won't start in gear. hmm.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock