SPEC clutch problem by 3.4Turbo
Started on: 06-08-2006 09:35 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Vendetta on 11-14-2006 04:08 PM
3.4Turbo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem with my stage 2 spec clutch in my 88 GT 3.4 swap with 282 Getrag 5 Spd. The center hub was installed backwards on the disc resulting in destroying the T/O bearing and the sleeve/seal that it rides on. Not only did I have to drop everything out to replace it, the 282 will need the case split for a new sleeve to be pressed in. I am out time, effort, and a few hundred dollars.
This happened in a few miles after start up after the new clutch was installed. I sent the clutch back to spec. I did not even get a new unit! They changed the center hub around to the correct position, resurfaced the pressure plate, and sent me back the same destroyed T/O bearing! I am not a happy camper.

An attorney friend has another aquaintance with a similar problem with his Fiero. I have now found out that this was was not an isolated occurence. The folks at Spec acted as if they didn't know what I was talking about. I am out quite a few bucks and have been treated poorly. I don't like to resort to this but anyone that has been burned by this problem can contact me if interested in a class action lawsuit.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.4Turbo:
The folks at Spec acted as if they didn't know what I was talking about.

They've known about this for awhile now.. There have been numerous incidents from members on this forum alone. I would demand that they pay for a new TOB and input shaft seal. Don't leave them alone until you get it.
How long ago did you buy the clutch disc from them? I thought they had fixed the problem late last year. Maybe that's not the case?
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem. My car has been sitting for a year because of it, and I am also quite unhappy. I am about to send my clutch to them in two weeks, (finally got the time to drop the engine *again*) and will be forced to buy another clutch for use in the meantime. I am VERY unhappy, and if they give me the same treatment that they did with you, I will be even unhappier. Consider me to be involved with your lawsuit, if it comes to that. You have a PM, sir.

------------------

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I bit the bullet and re-did my clutch myself. Ground down the disc by about 1mm, and machined the throwout bearing 3mm smaller on that inside sleeve. Hopefully this will work. I am annoyed with Spec.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Strange that this should still be happening.
I just ordered a Stage 2 after swapping a couple of emails with SPEC.

My note...
I am very close to ordering a Spec Stage 2 for my V6 Fiero. In the past,
there have been some problems with Spec installing the center splined hub
backwards (or perhaps just the wrong hub) resulting in interference
between the hub and the steel sleeve on the tranny, which subsequently
trashed the sleeve and throwout bearing. I just want to make sure that this
is NOT going to be an issue. Spec seems to repeatedly acknowledge that they
have a problem, then forget about it just as quickly. Although I know what
to look for, I don't want to have to deal with having to keep returning a
clutch until Spec "gets it right"...

The response...
We have rectified the issue and can guarantee there will be no more. We
have never forgotten, there are just previous units that have been in the
field for 3 years that have finally started to interfere. The issue was
fixed a long time ago. We feel terrible..and it is such a great clutch for
that application...
---------------------------------------
Interpret this however you wish. I suppose that we shall see.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-30-2006).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Raydar

40730 posts
Member since Oct 1999
Update...
Received my clutch today. The hub is oriented the right way.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I bought mine (stage 3) 3 years ago and have not had any trouble.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

3.4Turbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
I bought the stage 2 clutch last year while doing a restoration on my 88 GT and didn't install it till this year when I had the problem. I'm out alot of cash to have the T/O bearing/sleeve on the getrag 282 replaced which required splitting the case. Worse than that, the clutch took out my thrust bearing on the crankshaft on my 3.4 which is now at the machine shop being fixed. I still have not received any apologies. It only took a few minutes and miles to do the damage. The replacement T/O bearing they sent me after sending me back the old one the 2nd time around feels like it has grit in it. I'm not using it and getting one locally. John
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
This may not help in Tulsa, unless you don't mind importing, but for the Canadian guys it is cool.

Try these guys www.bullyclutch.com They have Fiero clutches. Mine is the Stage II sintered iron clutch. Drives like stock but the hotter it gets the grabbier it gets.

I haven't had to use their warranty, but there have been a couple of local ricers who managed to break them and got a replacement no sweat. To be fair though, the autocross guys swear by these and until recently I couldn't find an example of a break down anywhere here.

Arn
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Arn:

I don't see a Fiero clutch in the Bully application guide. Do you happen to know the model number of your clutch?

Thanks
Nolan
PFF
System Bot
procarnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for procarnutSend a Private Message to procarnutDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had this problem yet. And I hope I dont. I just thought everyone might be interested in this information. I'm in a corvette club in Waco Texas. We have a member that actually owns a clutch and brake shop there. He's been building clutches for everyone in our club and most of the people in the circle track circuit locally. He built a clutch for mine (although I havent started it yet) I was impressed with his knowledge and workmanship. He even let me watch him build the whole set up!!!!! So basicly he built a stage 3, 6 button clutch with combination kevlar/organic buttons with a spring load hub. In addition to that we swapped from a 1050lb pressure plate to a 1450Lb pressure plate. Plus a TOB all for just $225.00. Now I'm not sure if that is a discounted price for me of if it goes for everyone, But everywhere else seems to be getting $325. for the same set up....kind of. No one builds the combination the way he does it. Most circle track racers will go through 2-3 sets a season but his are lasting the whole way through. Anyway just a friendly FYI. We do alot of autocrossing and everyone in our group told me to go to him. If you are interested it's (waco spring and brake, Richard is the owner. I thought it might be worth knowing that there are only 3 primary manufacturers that build's clutched here in the US. and if you compare clutches with the same spec's you might see that they all are identical and were probably painted and reboxed under a different name. I noticed that my pressure plate was stamped "LUK".
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Direct Link to This Post
I ordered a SPEC stage 3+ earlier this year, the first one they sent me had the hub the wrong way round, I contacted them directly and they did state they were aware of the issue and had fixed it, the guy I spoke to then said he would ship me a new clutch disc, which they eventually did after I called them a couple of times to remind them. The new disc had the correct hub location and so far has been really good, although I only have about 200 miles on it, but really smooth take-up, just seems to be luck as to wether you get a good one. But they are aware of the issue so I do not know why they are giving people a hard time, if you get a bad one they should just replace it, basically thr product is good, its just the people you deal with do not seem to give a damm!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a Spec Stage 2 for my 3.4 turbo last year and have had very good results so far (more than 1000 miles). Maybe I was lucky but have also had excellent results with a Spec 3 clutch on a 3000 GT with twin turbos.
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I got boned too. I was out $1000 to have a new clutch installed. Luckily, it did not destroy everything completely. Good luck getting them to be helpful. I sent in my clutch and they REFUSE to send it back, probably because they don't want me to have the evidence for a civil suit. Although I think they make some of the best fiero clutches out there, their ethics and customer service suck HARD.

------------------

More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Arn:

I don't see a Fiero clutch in the Bully application guide. Do you happen to know the model number of your clutch?

Thanks
Nolan

You're right. I don't see them either, except for the 5 speeds in Cavaliers. I don't have my box and I am really bad about paperwork. For certain though, I have one for the 4 speed Muncie and it works great. I'd give them a call 1-800-661-9700. I'm sure they'll have them.

Arn
Vendetta

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaDirect Link to This Post
Does it make a noise?? My clutch works just makes an awful noise. i have a stage three

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock