help with aldl please by dozol
Started on: 06-06-2006 12:49 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: sublime922 on 07-31-2006 08:31 PM
dozol

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
hi guys, i just tried to hook up my laptop to the car with no luck.
i have cables and usb converter, i plugged black, green and red wires to the ecm and when i start the winaldl program i get

unable to open serial port / COM1

does this mean my cables are not working? or am i doing something wrong here, please help.

thanks, dominik
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Is it Winaldl that's telling you it can't open the COM port? Or is it a windows error?

What USB converter are you using?

What ALDL cable are you using?

Is your laptop running XP or something else?

JazzMan
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
wow that was fast

when i click on winaldl icon i get this

ok

cables and converter

i have a windows XP

thanks, dominik
dshuman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dshumanSend a Private Message to dshumanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

hi guys, i just tried to hook up my laptop to the car with no luck.
i have cables and usb converter, i plugged black, green and red wires to the ecm and when i start the winaldl program i get

unable to open serial port / COM1

does this mean my cables are not working? or am i doing something wrong here, please help.

thanks, dominik

This may be way too obvious, but did you install the driver to operate the USB-COM converter that you are using? The error message "unable to open serial port / COM1" has nothing to do with your ALDL cable. The error is between Windoze and the pseudo serial port in your USB-COM converter.

--Dave

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
yes i did install drivers
ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
If you have a multi-meter you need to check one of the pins from the serial port. For an internally powered ALDL cable you need above a certain voltage on one of the leads. I posted info on it months ago when I was working on cables, I'll see what I can find.

-Rick
ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post

ThatRickGuy

986 posts
Member since May 2000
Found a vague reference from last year. You need 9v on pin 4. You should be able to use the metal sleve as a ground, then just put your red lead on each pin until you find a live one.

I used this USB to Serial cable and it worked: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7135664&type=product&id=1110263657278 i

-Rick
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You aren't even to the aldl cable yet. You need to determine what serial port windows thinks the usb is on and set that in Winaldl.

Try this. Start HyperTerminal in Start / Programs / Accessories / Communications / HyperTerm.
If you don't see HyperTerm then it was not loaded when windows was installed but can be added.

For a name hit anthing does not matter.

Under connect using: see what com ports it list. Hopefully you will see a number there. If not your usb or software for it might or might not be working correctly.

If you see a port other than port 1 try setting Winaldl to that port number under the config tab...

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 06-06-2006).]

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
one other thought, when you loaded the driver for the usb adapter, did it assign it to com1? it is possible that is assigned it to com2,3,4 depending on your laptop. (ir adapters can be assigned a com port, internal modems are assigned a com port etc)
check in device mangler for the usb and the serial adapter section to be sure you are using the correct port number.
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
you guys are AWESOME

i did what Dodgerunner told me, on the connect list there was COM3
i started winaldl again and in configurations i switched to com3.
now i start the program and i get no errors. this is so cool.

does it mean that i can try it all again, put three cables where they belong and i can start the car???

sweet, + to all of you who responded !

thanks, dominik
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Go for it.... Good luck...

Also one tip on winaldl.. unless you really want to get into the data don't bother with raw data in the raw tab or in data logging, it's a waste of time unless you really need it. Go for the converted (human data tab and sensors. )

Also if you get strange readings check what ecm you have set. For most v6's the one that ends with 170 works most of the time.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 06-06-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
ok I'm back.
now everything seems to work but i get no numbers
nothing..
i plugged three cables, usb, turned on the laptop and the engine.

nothing moved. nada.

maybe cables are not working?

how do i find out if they are???

thanks, dominik
dshuman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dshumanSend a Private Message to dshumanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dozol:

ok I'm back.
now everything seems to work but i get no numbers
nothing..
i plugged three cables, usb, turned on the laptop and the engine.

nothing moved. nada.

maybe cables are not working?

how do i find out if they are???

thanks, dominik

Does your ALDL cable have a switch or something to control the "pull" resistor that connects between ALDL Pins A & B ?
When I built my own cable, I included a switch to connect the 10K resistor to switch the ECM to ALDL mode. If the resistor is not connected between ALDL Pins A & B, some ECMs will not send any data, according to the winaldl.joby.se site. I can't recall if my setup got any data with the resistor disconnected, but there is definately a data stream if ALDL Pins A & B have a 10K resistor connected accross them.

--Dave
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Also, what engine and year model Fiero do you have? WinALDL definitely won't work with the '87-88 L4 motors with DIS, and I've never actually tried to see if it'll work with the '84-86 TBI L4 cars.

And, the ALDL cable you're using, did you make it or buy it? It should have the 2N2222 transistor in it as well as some resistors, the overall circuit is really simple and is often times tucked into the RS-232 shell.

JazzMan
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone gotten a USB to serial adapter to work? Depending on what technique Jonas used in WinALDL to read 160 buad, it might not work. One method will, the other probably won't.

TK
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I built the cable over a year ago, with this:

http://couleefiero.tripod.com/ALDL.htm

I never got to test it since I don't have a laptop, and sent it to dozol on the condition he doesn't pay for it unless it works. So far no luck I see Might try opening up the white plastic connector and making sure the connector pin recievers didn't get pushed back in, and that I used the right resistors and transister.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
i guess i will take it apart and see what is going on there.
are these resistors labled?
i will go through the web site RWDPLZ mentioned about.

it is good because i have a day off tomorrow so i won't stop untill i make it work

thanks, dominik
srat110

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for srat110Send a Private Message to srat110Direct Link to This Post
Make sure you have a 10k ohm resistor across terminals A & B at the ALDL connector. I noticed you have three wires to hook to the ALDL connector so I am assuming there is a resistor built into the d-sub hood for that but you could always check this with an ohm meter. You will not get any readings without it. PM me if I can help.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
To add to what srat110 said, sometimes you need to coax the 10k resistor a little , a tiny screw driver did it for me...
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
ok i will take pics tomorrow, we will see what happens...

thanks, dominik
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
ok, if you have a voltmeter and a 5v dc power source, you can statically test the cable. You can also use a 9v battery, probably easier.

Connect a 5V power supply (or 9v battery ) to: GND(-) (your black wire or pin 5) and the + 5 or 9v to DTR(+) pin 4. The voltmeter connects the to - to ground and the plus to pin 2, it will show 5V.

Now connect an extra wire from the +5V(or 9v) to ALDL[E]-- your red wire--- The voltmeter will show 0V every time you touch pin ALDL[E].

if this works, the cable is correct and functioning properly.

for ref, looking into the face of the db9 connector the pins are:

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 06-07-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
great, thanks !

today i looked what was inside the white thingie and here what i saw...

circled thing was all loose and moved around.

unfortunately i have no soldering experience and have no soldering gun.
any suggestions?

ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
Wow, who made that thing? I would either take it back to the seller and have them fix it. If they aren't available and you are a recent high school grad, you can see if your old school has an electronics lab that, you may be able to talk the instructor into fixing it, or letting one of his students fix it. (Staying in touch with the auto shop and electronics shop teachers can be quite handy!)

-Rick
TA6SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TA6SPDSend a Private Message to TA6SPDDirect Link to This Post
I build ALDL cables. I set them up for external 12v power because not all com ports supply the same power. With the external 12VDC supply they work with all PC's (and laptops).

Rich

[This message has been edited by TA6SPD (edited 06-07-2006).]

ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rich, I've built and sold a number of these cables as well, but the one in the picture looks pretty aweful.

Using the standard layout from the WinALDL site the ALDL cable can opperate on 9-12v with out a problem. That why I specificly recommend the USB->Serial cable from BestBuy I posted above, that cable's drivers are set for 9v on pin 4.

-Rick
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
So the answer is yes then.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That's some really crappy workmanship.

I could fix it in a jiffy, but shipping would be a pain. If you have a jr. college or vocational school in your area I bet you could get one of their students to fix it for free right on the spot.

JazzMan
dozol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2006 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dozolClick Here to visit dozol's HomePageSend a Private Message to dozolDirect Link to This Post
yea it doest look too good, i will order a new set.

thanks guys for help, this is cool when people respond to messages in couple minutes, it is almost like chat
i have never seen less than 35 members here even at 3 am.

domink
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2006 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
The guys that work in the back of radio shack--could fix you up ----alot of folks don`t know their back there doing bench work--they may charge a very small fee. I was originally going to make one , but Bob at www.aldlcable.com made me a heck of deal on a used laptop too. Strat110 was selling them .
sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
hmm. i bought that same connector from best buy.. but im not getting any voltage on any pins. it should work with the cable plugged into the computer and the system manager recognizes it and says its on COM5. but i get no voltage when testing with a voltmeter

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock