Started on: 05-30-2006 11:21 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: 3800superfast on 06-05-2006 09:10 AM
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
I was just curious if anyone has experienced a hesitation problem when trying to accelerate from a stop?

The car does not hunt at idle and at above 2000RPM it is nice and smooth but getting from 1000RPM to 2000RPM is somewhat of a chore... if I just floor it, it will sink to 500RPM and possibly die if I don't let off the gas... I have to play with the throttle to get it up to around 1500 and then slowly get on the gas, after 2000 I can floor it and it will go just fine... makes crossing highways a little scary.

Any theories?

New O2, TPS, ss vacuum lines, IAC works, only code is EGR but that shouldn't affect off idle response. It will do it in gear or neutral (automatic).

Oh yeah... 88 GT auto...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-30-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
Did you check your MAP, or you IAT

if they aren't reading correctly, it might just be dumping fuel in and bogging the engine.

Just a guess...

------------------

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
IAT is new as well... I was questioning the map sensor and honestly did not post that, after I put my car back together, I threw a 33 and 34... odd. The thing is that I have had this problem since I bought the car but I have never thrown any MAP codes before and now its throwing both high and low voltage... I don't get it.

I have a new connector to install as the little tab the holds it on broke off the old one but I don't know where to source a new ACDelco MAP before thursday... ya think that one from Cracker, I mean Checker auto parts will work for the weekend? Thats 40 bucks out the window if it is just another piece of aftermarket crap.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 05-30-2006).]

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
It sounds like it may be the MAP.
My old 88 did the same thing for a long time. It never threw a code for the Map. It fixed it.

------------------

My new toy
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059632.html

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap... how does Checker/Advanced get away with trying to charge 60~70 bucks for off brand MAPs when the ACDelco from RockAuto.com is only 41???

God I hate aftermarket electronics...
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Holy crap... how does Checker/Advanced get away with trying to charge 60~70 bucks for off brand MAPs when the ACDelco from RockAuto.com is only 41???

God I hate aftermarket electronics...

Do you have Autozone's near you? They are usually the cheapest, but I hate going there for parts, but if your in a jam, you might have to.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
If your still having the hesitation problem after new map is installed---go back & test the tps. They get bad spots in them and cause that off the line hesitation as well.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I mean... I can't rule out the TPS even though I just replaced it a year ago.

Thanks for all the help!
Golden86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
Did you fix it yet, are you going to be bring your so-so Fiero (thats what he calls it, even though I think it looks AMAZING) to the Dells?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
It'll be there whether I fix it or not... it had the same problems last year.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Wow... that helped... not perfect but better... I am thinking that perhaps the TPS is already heading south now... sigh... I hate aftermarket electronics... did I say that already?

Next stop the Dells...
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I had a hesitation problem once that was caused by a spark plug wire going bad. Worth looking into if you're still hunting for the problem. Cheap set of plug wires is almost definately cheaper than a new TPS.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the comments... the car just got new plugs and wires last week before the Dells Run... even after discussing the problem all weekend we really could not come up with something that I have not already tried...

I think that the best comment of the weekend is that the motor is just tired... the fact that the crack heads in Arizona that did the stupid recall work on the PCV did not cap it off and the car has been sucking dirty air through that hole for 18 years can't help either. That and the DAPOs have done some seriously odd and stupid things to this poor car. It may be that the only fix is to get rid of this motor as I don't feel inclined to tear down and rebuild a 2.8 just to get it back to stock and that money will probably be better spent on something better, not radical but better.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
As a last ditch effort --and it doesn`t cost to much , I`d try to pin it down with using the winaldl. You can make a cable for next to nothing and the program is free. Heres some info:

http://www.aldlcable.com/

http://winaldl.joby.se/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock