Started on: 05-24-2006 08:57 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: wikid_one on 05-27-2006 09:19 PM
wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally took my dad's advice and got up off my lazy butt. I may have bit off more than I can chew, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyways. I'm doing everything first on my parts car so that I can experiment with cutting and not mess up anything important. Over the weekend I cut away at the steering column support to make the dash fit back far enough. I'll post a couple pics of the dash removed when I... ummm... remove the dash.

Here is where I am after my first test fit.

The passenger side needs to be raised up about 3/4" if I line it up with my center console. The piece of wood is holding up the steering column in the correct location. There is about a 1/2" gap around the column, and the gap on the driver's side of the column is maybe a 1/4" or so wider, but I am happy with it as far as being lined up with the dash.

I also started on the center console today too.

I cut the front of the computer cover part at a bad angle, so I have to fix that before I go on any farther. When I raise the passenger side of the dash up, it will be far enough away from the console that I can install it as a single piece, which makes it a good bit easier on me. Here is a quick sketch I did beforehand to show what I intend to do with the console.

I am going to relocate the window switches, cigarette lighter, and OBD connector to be in front of the shifter. Doing this, along with removing the console storage, frees up enough room to place 2 cupholders behind and out of the the way of the person's elbow. I don't want to put them in the front because I am worried about the cups getting in the way of my shifting. I also don't want to remove the extra storage, but with the glove box in the dash now, I think I can compromise.

...continuing on with another post.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wikid_one (edited 05-24-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
I started playing with the door panels a little bit, but that is the only area I'm still unsure about. I started playing around with making a door pocket and speaker pod. I wanted something that folowed the same lines of the firebird one, but without the $150-$200 that door panels seem to be going for on ebay.

Since everyone likes pics, I'll stop rambling on and post some more for you.

The cardboard template

The base shape

With the speaker pod added

Close up

The taped up mold, ready for fiberglass

The first coat is on.

At this point I stopped and said to myself, "I really should go get a pair of speakers and check to make sure the fit." I had a pair of tweeters (pulled them out of my dad's hot rod that was sitting in the garage next to me), but I needed a pair of 5-1/4" speakers. I got a pair of Pioneer speakers from Wal-Mart and lo-and-behold they don't fit. I layed the template and the speaker against my mold and realized my speaker opening needed to be about another 1/2" larger in diameter. I've put this phase on hold until I figure out what to do. I may just bite the bullet and buy some off ebay. If anyone knows of a junkyard that has any Firebirds in it, I would be more than happy to compensate you if you can get me the stock door panels. I really only need the armrest and pocket, but I have a feeling I am gonna have to get an entire panel and disassemble it myself.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good so far. Keep the pics coming.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
wikid_one, This some very nice prestigious work your doing here , very detailed.... Keep em coming!!
vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegaSend a Private Message to vegaDirect Link to This Post
its hence the name .... isn't it...........wikid
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE dash builds, almost as much as I love engine swap's. Keep up the good work here and keep the pictures flowing!

My next dash swap is going to be from a 86 fiero into a 88 fiero, not quite as exciting as yours though.

------------------
Check out my 3800 swap thread and lend your advice!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072877.html

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

My next dash swap is going to be from a 86 fiero into a 88 fiero, not quite as exciting as yours though.

dont they have the same dash?? or is it just in better shape?
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

dont they have the same dash?

I believe that was the point. Quick and simple and gets the job done
wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post

wikid_one

2838 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Small update for today. I did some more work on the center console.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2006 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That looks really nice. I wish I had someone to guide me through the install of a firebird dash

The custom console is nice too. I went ahead and used the firebird console, but I had to do a lot of work to get it to fit. Yours is going to look really nice.

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

wikid_one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneDirect Link to This Post
Not much of an update here. I got a couple coats for glass on my center console and test fit it in the car. I need to get an aftermarket shift boot since the rectangular Fiero one won't work for me. Oh, and I picked up these off of ebay just now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8068654357

I'm so excited. Take that entire F-body forum and your $200 a pair door panels :P
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock