Lose that antenna! by Mustang630
Started on: 03-27-2006 12:08 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: Fiero2m8 on 06-29-2006 11:44 PM
Mustang630

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang630Click Here to visit Mustang630's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mustang630Direct Link to This Post
I've been doing a little bodywork the last week, and I wound up making a mod that looks pretty cool! I got some Bondo plastic bumper repair stuff at the auto parts store for $6. I pulled the left fender and removed the grommet, then filled in the hole with the bumper repair stuff. After it hardened overnight, I sanded it down and primered it. You can't even tell there was ever a hole there.

I removed the antenna mount and used a grinder to remove all the extra metal from the "foot", then I put the antenna back on the mount and bent a slight curve into it.

Finally, I clamped the antenna to the inside of the fender (about halfway between the top of the wheel arch and the upper edge where it bolts on) and fiberglassed it all in real good. When it was all done, I put everything back together. I must say, it looks very cool with no antenna sticking up from the fender. And the radio stations still come in nice and strong.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
I did this last year before I painted my car, I think it makes a big difference.

------------------

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Remember that bondo is not the proper product to fill holes in, especially in RRIM (reinforced reaction injection molded urathane). Over time, it will come loose and show the old hole. You can get the proper product from a profesional paint supply store.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great. Works real good. Fairly easy to do. Now on the list of things to do!! Thanks for the idea.

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL CHAMPS!!!

Mustang630

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang630Click Here to visit Mustang630's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mustang630Direct Link to This Post
The stuff I used is made by Bondo, but is designed for repairing flexible plastic bumpers. It's black and comes in 2 tubes like J&B Weld. Works like a charm!
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Cool, Thanks for posting, I might give this a try, always looking for something different....
urbanairpaint

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbanairpaintSend a Private Message to urbanairpaintDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of doing something like this, but then I saw a euro style antenna that would look great on my Fiero. I cant decide what to do now that I see what you have done.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
how hard is it to remove the fender?

thanks...

gt7

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
Cool idea to personalize your car. I may try it myself.

------------------
regards, tom
suffolk, va
gt7@juno.com
1987 Fiero GT 2.8 v6 5spd.

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
yeah i shaved the antenna on my GT as well, that stock antenna is just way too high for my tastes, and it's just as easy to remove it as replace it. honestly most of the work is removing the fender.
somebody else removed my antenna on my 86SE. i can't say that i approve, but at least they broke it off right at the base so it looks ok. get terrible reception though, can't wait til it's warm enough to pull the fender and attach a new antenna underneath
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
golden how did you attach the antenna base to the car?

i just took my fender off and fill the hole. i hope i didn't make a mistake
i use resin and a piece of material to fill the hole. once it hardens i'll
fill it (with what?) and sand it smooth. can i use bondo or glazin putty
to smooth it out?

thanks...

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I did the same. Just fabricated a new mount out of a piece of metal:

Look, no antenna: :-)

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, Rebuilt&blueprinted V6, BORLA exhaust. Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front, Aus' Stage 2 side scoops, "Fie Ro" extractor front scoop. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Mine looks like this.

after painting

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 06-23-2006).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Look, no antenna: :-)

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

*turns his head sideways*

Oh wow! You car looks very sweet from that angle!

Tom Slick,
The fender is EASY to remove, just a few fasteners. Takes less then ten minutes, or eleven if you are very very very slow at unscrewing stuff.

The only slightly tricky part is the bottom, where it meets the ground effects...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
To reinforce the patch, I always put another layer of the filler on the inside of the fender, lay a square or round piece of fiberglass cloth into in and wipe more over the top while its all still wet. Lot less chance of cracking back out.

I have eliminated the antenna completely on a few cars by using the defroster grid on the back window. All you have to do is cut back the coax cable and connect the ground to one connector and the center core to the other. Worked on Fiero and Corvettes just fine. This is what Chrysler also does to Magnum, 300 and Chargers from the factory. On my Magnum, I even use it for my TV antenna.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
by using the defroster grid on the back window.

Are you still able to use the defroster?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if you could or not for sure. I unplugged them. Never had to use the defrosters myself in 7 years. I dont know what Chrysler does with theirs. But the defrost and radio both work fine in it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-23-2006).]

FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTDirect Link to This Post
I have been thinking about this one for a long time and would like to do it. How about some step by step on the R&R of the fender. I have read elsewhere that where the fender attaches to the ground FX that it is a PITA. I would be doing this on my Formula. Any help is appreciated.
paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenDirect Link to This Post
Or try an electric antenna:

http://fierosails.com/ElectricAntenna.html

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com
Mustang630

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mustang630Click Here to visit Mustang630's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mustang630Direct Link to This Post
Wow, this string really came back from the dead! Anyhoo, I noticed that some people made brackets for their antennas and some did what I did and 'glassed it to the inside of the fender. I dig my solution because it doesn't make any noise. There's not a long metal rod bouncing around under there. Do you bracket guys notice any antenna "boing"? Does the ball end of the antenna rub or chip paint off of anything, or does it even hit metal? Just wondering.

Also, back in the day, I had an MG Midget. I shaved the antenna off of that one by going to Radio Shack and buying an aftermarket rear window glass antenna kit. It was a thin piece of wire backed with clear plastic adhesive tape. It worked just like the defroster trick I saw mentioned above. But I had a convertible with a plastic rear window, so I just lifted up the carpet in the rear area (where the convertible top stows away when it's down) and stuck it right to the body of the car. I got great reception and the car looked cool with no antenna. Ah, those were the days...
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
This defrost antenna trick seem to be a really good idea...I will try it for sure!!! I live in a place where defrost are very usefull...but I will not drive my Fiero in snow/slush ...so....
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I will use a couple or mouting points so it doesn't rattle.
fieroracer86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroracer86Send a Private Message to fieroracer86Direct Link to This Post
I did it a while ago too. Looks good and is so easy to do . . . and i still get reception!
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
Would one of those Bondo fiberglass repair kits work for filling the hole?
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Should work just fine. Be sure you do both sides for strength.
Timm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimmSend a Private Message to TimmDirect Link to This Post
OR get satilite radio
Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Didn't really lose mine - it was broken off, so I found a new home for a power antenna in the rear fender with a 5' extension:

Right now it's controlled by the deck power, but I might add a switch in the console to switch it off when playing CD's.
I've got higher priorities on the build right now though

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock