Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  trunk weatherstripping alternatives (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
trunk weatherstripping alternatives by Doc-
Started on: 01-26-2006 01:37 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: Tha Driver on 10-27-2006 03:11 AM
Doc-

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post
Hello all. As a GT owner, I don't want to pay $150 or more for a piece of foam-rubber for the trunk. Does anyone know of any alternatives that work (rather than a factory-type expensive replacement)? has anyone ever tried anything like the stuff JC Whitney sells by the roll? For instance:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008721/showCustom-1/p-2008721/N-200729108+111+1987+600003813/c-10101

It would be great to find an alternative to paying so much for weatherstripping.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
That is a good subject. Unfortunately the Fiero has a horizontal lip, not a vertical lip on the trunk, so you would have to find a weatherstrip with a *90 angle. I need to square my trunk away, so I might look into this. I have an uncanny skill of finding unique ways to make things work where no one would expect, so this should be right down my alley.
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:
Unfortunately the Fiero has a horizontal lip, not a vertical lip on the trunk, so you would have to find a weatherstrip with a *90 angle.

hmm?

As I remember it, the lip is vertical, and 180* (straight across from) from the sealing surface.

Doc-

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad this peaks your interest - please keep us all informed of any findings. This could make alot of fiero (especially GT) owners happy. I'll keep searching too - I believe JC Whitney will send samples upon request. What about modifying the lip so that it is vertical, maybe by attaching thin steel or aluminum angle the whole way around?
Doc-

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post

Doc-

185 posts
Member since Oct 2005

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

hmm?

As I remember it, the lip is vertical, and 180* (straight across from) from the sealing surface.

Now I'm confused. Which is it? I'll have to check my car when I get home tonight. We should definitely keep this thread going until we find a cheap solution.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's both? I seem to remember the front trunk edge being the vertical lip, and the rear trunk edge being the horizontal lip... I can check later if you want..
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

Maybe it's both? I seem to remember the front trunk edge being the vertical lip, and the rear trunk edge being the horizontal lip... I can check later if you want..

this is correct. the front lip stands straight up, vertical. the rear is horizontal, formed in, toward the open trunk area.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so you can't use one continuous piece of weatherstrip. How do the sides mount?
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
the same. to clarify....the front compartment seal goes on a vertical flange. the rear compartment seal goes on a horizontal flange. does that make sense? i can take some pics if needed. my whole car is stripped right now.
tharvey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tharveySend a Private Message to tharveyDirect Link to This Post
just a thought here, does this gasket not fit into a groove on the trunk lid, it appears too.

now if this groove lines up can we not use a foam gasket affixed to the trunk lid which will them match up to the trunk to seal it.

You can get foam gaskets in any width and thickness, they are used in the mounting of caps on pickup trucks

might be a different way of resolving this problem

Tim

PFF
System Bot
KeithGT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
i work at AutoZone, one night when it was slower went looking through the weatherstripping we have (down the chemical/sealant aisle for those who may go and try to find it) and found that the door weatherstripping we carry is perfect for it. its set up just like the stock stuff, and work perfect. 29.99 as opposed to 150. it has rained ALOT here since i put it on, and my trunk is no longer a pool inside after it rains. worked great...give it a check guys.
RogCon58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RogCon58Send a Private Message to RogCon58Direct Link to This Post
I also refused to spend $150 for a GT trunk seal when I did my GT conversion. I used J. C. Whitney part number SN132568R rubber weatherstripping. It bends well at the corners and the roll has enough material to do 2 trunks. I started in the middle of the trunk closest to the engine and ran it around. Then joined the ends with a piece of round foam backer rod, you get from the hardware store insulation aisle, that I had laying around, and glued together with weatherstrip adhesive. Seals great and looks just about like the OEM piece. Roll of weatherstip sold for $32.99 when I did it last year.
Doc-

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2006 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post
Keith, what was that Autozone part number? Keith and Rogcon - some pics would be great! Thanks for the responses.
TG oreiF 8891

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
Awesome, you guys have pluses from me. I was going to try this next summer, but now I'll just go get one of the recommended weatherstrips and be done. Thanks.
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
guys, i will get that part number and pics ASAP...ill try to do it tomorrow....
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
does anyone have pics of any of these alternatives? does it look somewhat decent/stock? or kinda hillbilly?

mike

KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
well, mike beings that your roughly 20 mins from me, im sure you know...its freaking pouring out. lol. it really looks good, if you dont know what the trunk seal looks like, you would never know the difference, we need to meet up sometime and BS a lil....
Im still ganna try to get pics today, im keeping my eye out on the weather...if i notice it stops raining, im ganna run out there and take a couple pics......
keith
TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
You guys got pics yet?
Perrysburg, and BG well, I have been working in Toledo the last 3 months, so I'm not so far away either.
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
how do i post pics on here guys?
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KeithGT:

how do i post pics on here guys?

at the bottom of every page there is a blue and red icon labled Pennocks Image poster. follow the directions on how to set it up. you have to read them, or it will be kinda confusing!

PFF
System Bot
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
OK, give me a couple here to figure this out....
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post

KeithGT

540 posts
Member since Jan 2006
alright, well i just keep getting an error thing when i try it with that PIP junk....anybody got a way i can send you the pics and you post em up....there huge though, so maybe you could re-size em quik too.....thanks

RogCon58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RogCon58Send a Private Message to RogCon58Direct Link to This Post
Here are some pictures of my trunk using the J. C. Whitney material I described above. For what its worth, it rained steady all day yesterday and you can see the trunk is dry as a bone.

theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Direct Link to This Post
Sweet. This saves me I still need to get the freakin D Plates, theres a like 1 inch gap on each side of my trunk And its snowin big time. So I know theres a big pool in my trunk. This sucks lol

------------------

OldBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post
Email Sent.

[This message has been edited by OldBob (edited 01-29-2006).]

KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
Actually, i think me and rogcon used pretty much the same stuff....but i emailed my pics to someone who shall be loading them up here sometime...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Daaaaamn! That looks great!
OldBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldBobSend a Private Message to OldBobDirect Link to This Post
Here are KeithGT's pics.

Doc-

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theratdude64:

Sweet. This saves me I still need to get the freakin D Plates, theres a like 1 inch gap on each side of my trunk And its snowin big time. So I know theres a big pool in my trunk. This sucks lol

What/where are the "D plates" and what do they do? Thanks.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc-:

What/where are the "D plates" and what do they do? Thanks.

You can't keep it oval and seal it with the square decklid. The fastback decklid is about 6 inches too narrow. The oval opening of the trunk would be under the clip. This isn't the best angle but it shows what I am talking about.
Before "D" panels:

After:

The trunk squaring panels are found often on eBay or place a "wanted to buy" ad in the mall.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-30-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
ok im in !!! can someone please post the autozone/napa/shucks part number? im a little to slow to figure it out, and the "guys" at the autozone near me said "durrr... weeb dont be sellin any kinda thingers that coulda be used fur that" no wonder they are alway hiring....

thanks in advance
=todd=
Hop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HopSend a Private Message to HopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KeithGT:

i work at AutoZone, one night when it was slower went looking through the weatherstripping we have (down the chemical/sealant aisle for those who may go and try to find it) and found that the door weatherstripping we carry is perfect for it. its set up just like the stock stuff, and work perfect. 29.99 as opposed to 150. it has rained ALOT here since i put it on, and my trunk is no longer a pool inside after it rains. worked great...give it a check guys.

guys, i will get that part number and pics ASAP...ill try to do it tomorrow....

Keith, will you post that part number for us? Thanks. Bill

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed - Black
88 GT Auto - Red 4.9 engine swap in progress
88 GT Auto - Yellow
88 GT Auto - White
88 Coupe 4cyl - Auto - Red-For Sale
86 GT Auto - Black - For Sale - No Title
86 GT Auto - White- Longpre Edition
86 SE V6 5sp converted to GT - Silver - For Sale
62 Vette
62 Impala - Anniversary Gold
95 Vette - Auto-White-41,000 miles-For Sale

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Autozone part number please...
tmur115

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
anyone?
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL... The thread is from January, the original guys probably haven't seen it in a while. Maybe a PM to one of them?
Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
I already threw my box away so I can't help with the part number, but the stuff isn't hard to find. Sounds like your AutoZone suffers from the same fundamental flaw that ours does—poor help. Go back to AutoZone and do everything you can to avoid talking to the attendants, if you do get cornered and have to talk to them don't under any circumstances tell them that you drive a Fiero. Tell them it's for a perfectly normal and anonymous car, like your '89 base model Ford Taurus. This way they won't naturally assume that they don't have the part, or that you don't really need it because your car is already on fire.

Walk down the aisles until you find weather stripping, it will probably be on the bottom shelf. It should be near the help section (not necessarily in it), not in the section with the racing floor mats and stickers or any accessories with a chrome-ish finish or LED light in it. They have two kinds of weather stripping; the first is an adhesive backed foam strip in either a small box or a tightly coiled roll. The other is in a box that is about a foot and a half square and is slightly heavier than you expect it to be. It will look like the standard rubber weather stripping you would expect to find on any car door you looked at. It will probably be advertised on the box as having a "steal core"

Disclaimer: this is meant only to reflect my experiences with my local AutoZone, and not to offend anybody who works at an autoparts store. All stores are different, because they are all staffed with different people.

I hope this helps a little bit. If my receipt ever turns up, I'll post a part number (assuming they print that on the receipt). Good luck.
TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
Mine looks identical to the ones in the picture, and its Metro Moulded Parts, Inc. part number MW00100 on the box. I got it at Murray's so I don't know the AutoZone part number. Hope this helps.

I saw some stuff on JCWhittney's site that looked very similar to the stock stuff, it was more rectangular in cross section instead of round. I wondered if that would be better, but the round stuff was local and cheaper, so I got it rather than experiment. If anybody wants to experiment, I can dig up a link to what I found.
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
RogCon, Keith, these look great and the price is right! Next on my to-do list! Question: did either of you put any adhesive when attaching to the metal lip, or does it just stay on and in place by itself?
Thanks!
Tom
tmur115

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
"Disclaimer: this is meant only to reflect my experiences with my local AutoZone, and not to offend anybody who works at an autoparts store. All stores are different, because they are all staffed with different people."

lol.... i guess i should have included that in my post also, but i would have figured that would have been a given.... SOOooo if i have offended anyone I'm sorry.... it was not ment as an attack on all autozones, just the one in vancouver wa.

thanks
=todd=

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock