Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  1993 3.4 DOHC into '88 Coupe 5spd (Isuzu) Build-up (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
1993 3.4 DOHC into '88 Coupe 5spd (Isuzu) Build-up by Steven Snyder
Started on: 12-02-2004 07:46 PM
Replies: 283
Last post by: FieroMonkey on 12-07-2006 11:07 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:
I started working on my modified rear cam carrier cover that I will mount in the front. I am going to find a low profile oil fill cap to fit in this hole.

I'm going to grind off the tabs from the left side and weld new ones onto the right so that the timing inspection cover still fits. Not only will I be able to more easily fill the oil, but the engine will look symmetrical once I create my planned custom intake.

hmm - got any pics of this yet?

i've been working on mine but haven't gotten to the tabs for the front timing cover

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
I ended up leaving the tabs on for now because I rushed to finish the motor before I had to move to Los Angeles for school.

When I take it off to paint it over the winter I'll see about doing something for the tabs. I'm worried about warping the gasket surface so I may just JB weld the tabs on to the proper side or something. They are covered by the cam carrier nose cover anyway. The piece really isn't necessary though.. its just a convenient cover for your spark plug wires to pass under.
The actual front timing inspection cover bolts onto the cam carrier, unlike the rear.. so you don't need the tabs.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 12-06-2005).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!

This year is wrap-up year. Over spring and summer break I will be finishing off all of the details of the swap (mainly cosmetics, possibly redoing the wiring to go along with that), including installing the AIR setup and getting the swap BAR certified. I did some dress up over winter break as well:

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that oil filler going to be under the plenum or am I missing something here?
Still looks nice though, Maybe I should paint mine...........nah, too much trouble at this point

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:
Isn't that oil filler going to be under the plenum or am I missing something here?
Still looks nice though, Maybe I should paint mine...........nah, too much trouble at this point

You're missing something here.
Look closely at the pic I last posted
It looks OEM so its easy to miss what I did

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 01-17-2006).]

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....................Brain not working.

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 01-17-2006).]

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
That looks really good Steven. I hope we end up at a show together this season so I can see it in person.
Definitely looks nice, that's for sure.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dave Gunsul (edited 01-17-2006).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Gunsul:

That looks really good Stephen. I hope we end up at a show together this season so I can see it in person.
Definitely looks nice, that's for sure.

Thanks!

I'll be at the Rally at the end of April and possibly Westfest in July. Probably wont be going out of state since I'll be working over the summer. Maybe you will drive out here

-Steven

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Steven Snyder

3323 posts
Member since Mar 2004
Other stuff I did over winter break:

Removed the trunk:

I will build a removable fiberglass trunk eventually. Having the trunk out makes it very very easy to work on the motor.

I built a tire rack so I can still carry a full size spare back there:

I also welded a nut to the right side of the truck to allow me to mount the OEM jack there just like it was attached in the front.

Replaced the "T" in my exhaust with a true "Y" I made using a 2.5" exhaust donut to get the tight radius bends. The exhaust does hang down a bit more now, but I haven't hit it on anything except a squirrel so far.

I plan on making a "quiet" exhaust system using a spintech muffler for everyday driving. The glasspack setup will be used at the track. With the trunk out it only takes a couple minutes to change out the exhaust.

Another engine bay pic:

I redesigned my dogbone so it looks better now. I will get some closeup pics of that next time I'm at the car. You can see it in the pics above for now.

Also, I added a catch can for the PCV system to collect all of the oil that normally ends up in the intake. It is plumbed in between the crankcase vent and PCV valve. The valve cover breathers now have individual cone filters instead of going to the intake tubing. I don't like the look of the cone filters so I will eventually T the vents together and put a single filter somewhere that can't be seen. The catch can is painted to match the motor and resides where the cruise control servo used to be. Its not installed yet in the above pics.

I found that my brake booster vacuum line was collapsing under high vacuum because the rubber is getting soft after many heat cycles. I have now replaced it with 1/2" aluminum tubing I picked up from OSH. Only the ends where it attaches to the intake are rubber. They are 90 degree bends but I made sure they will not kink by using some nifty parts Goodyear makes. They are coils with steel bars welded on the side. You place them over the tubing and bend them however you like; the bar holds the coil in place and the coil stops the hose from kinking or collapsing. Quite nifty.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 01-17-2006).]

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Stephen that color is really growing on me, your engine bay looks great. Everything looks clean, stock, and bada$$. I hope the Cali-nazis don't fail you just for looking modified even though they don't realize that is stock (Appearence)

As for having dual exhaust systems, I wouldn't suggest it. I say build your quiet one, and use quality parts, and that should be fine even for the track. On the 3.4 W-bodies, we gain very little power (If any), going from the stock system to a full 2.5" mandrel bent, with straight through mufflers and stuff. My car even had other mods at the time, and the exhaust change was completely unnoticable. However with the 13* retard, it gets a lot more air in. So maybe you'll notice it, but I doubt it. And IMHO, it isn't worth all of the work just to run 5 hundreths of a second faster. I mean pull out the spare and stuff, but changing an exhaust (Albeit 2 bolts), is a lot of work and time. Plus the cost of building the extra system. Just my 2 cents though.

PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AaronZ34:
As for having dual exhaust systems, I wouldn't suggest it. I say build your quiet one, and use quality parts, and that should be fine even for the track. On the 3.4 W-bodies, we gain very little power (If any), going from the stock system to a full 2.5" mandrel bent, with straight through mufflers and stuff. My car even had other mods at the time, and the exhaust change was completely unnoticable. However with the 13* retard, it gets a lot more air in. So maybe you'll notice it, but I doubt it. And IMHO, it isn't worth all of the work just to run 5 hundreths of a second faster. I mean pull out the spare and stuff, but changing an exhaust (Albeit 2 bolts), is a lot of work and time. Plus the cost of building the extra system. Just my 2 cents though.

Aaron, I already have this system. It doesn't magically disappear when I build another one. And like I said, it takes a few minutes (literally!) to change the exhaust out. Where's the extra cost?

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Aaron, I already have this system. It doesn't magically disappear when I build another one. And like I said, it takes a few minutes (literally!) to change the exhaust out. Where's the extra cost?

I'm just saying I doubt you will lose any power going to a longer system so long as it is still set up correctly. As for the cost issue, I guess it wouldn't cost any extra.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2006 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AaronZ34:
I'm just saying I doubt you will lose any power going to a longer system so long as it is still set up correctly. As for the cost issue, I guess it wouldn't cost any extra.

I'll dyno it, okay? Since its so easy to switch out it should be easy to dyno both systems the same day. Once I'm done tuning it and I'm back at home I'll get to work on the other system so I can be ready for the dyno in the summer.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2006 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

I'll dyno it, okay? Since its so easy to switch out it should be easy to dyno both systems the same day. Once I'm done tuning it and I'm back at home I'll get to work on the other system so I can be ready for the dyno in the summer.

I'd like to see that! I don't have dyno numbers, just going off of instinct after installing more than a few exhaust systems on 3.4s (In w-bodies though). I bet you will not see over 5whp, but IMO that isn't worth it. I'd just leave the quiet one on all the time. As for your dyno numbers, I'm going to say 190whp.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
On a side note, adding the smooth Y to my current exhaust actually made a noticeable difference in power above 6000 RPM.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Finished the new exhaust using WCF's Spintech muffler:

It's significantly quieter than the old setup (was using a cat and a Y into two glasspacks) though still pretty noisy inside. It rubs against the frame in one place so after I fix that I think it will be better in the cabin. Note that I don't have any insulation on the firewall, so that will certainly make things louder too. Overall I think its acceptable as far as loudness. The tone quality hasn't changed; still sounds like a Ferrari ;-)

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
That looks great! Please post an installed pic once you have it in the car.

Thanks
Nolan

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

It's installed, just didnt get a chance to take a pic (camera battery was dead). I will take a pic for you next time I'm at my car!

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Here you go:

The reason it looks crooked from below is because the fascia is sagging on the right side because some of the push rivets popped out when someone's car rolled into mine. I'll fix that tonight.

Here's the hangers I used from West Coast Fiero. I really like these. They're easy to install (just drilled out the upper holes for the stock hanger screws) and they look trick.

Most recent pic of the engine bay:

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 03-27-2006).]

Fiero Brick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post
If GM had continued production of the Fiero to 1991, I'll bet that's what the engine bay would have looked like.

Awesome work, Steven.

PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
BUMP!

Updates coming in a few days or weeks!
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
this might be a stupid question on my part but how else will i learn.
what is that little orange box has two hoses coming out. one looks
like it going to the intake and the other i'm not sure.

thanks...
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

this might be a stupid question on my part but how else will i learn.
what is that little orange box has two hoses coming out. one looks
like it going to the intake and the other i'm not sure.

thanks...

Oil catch can for oil coming from the PCV valves.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:
Oil catch can for oil coming from the PCV valves.

my car doesn't have that. where do the lines go to then?
does it connect to the PCV in the valve cover?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2006 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks like the update plans have changed! I blew my tranny!

Pablo demonstrates the proper way to disassemble an Isuzu:

What we found inside:

Second gear was TOAST.

I now have two Getrags. One will be going in as soon as I get the brackets from Rodney.

In the meantime I did some seam welding in the engine bay. Not much else going on. The big update will have to wait a few months.. I need to get the transmission in first and make sure its in good shape :-(.

Originally posted by Tom Slick:
my car doesn't have that.

It's an aftermarket part.

where do the lines go to then?
does it connect to the PCV in the valve cover?

Crankcase vent line (down in the valley under the intake manifold) goes to the PCV valve. Then out of the small end of the PCV valve you run a line to one of the throttle body vacuum ports. The ports on each valve cover just get run into the intake tubing before the throttle body, or just to some filters if you prefer (and if the smog refs don't care).
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, I don't think I remembered to post these here yet:
http://media.putfile.com/34DOHC-startidlerev
http://media.putfile.com/34DOHC-startdriveoff
High quality sound clips of my car. This is with the Spintech muffler. I recorded it using an AKG C2000B medium-diaphram condensor mic into an AudioBuddy preamp.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
The car is dead. Stay tuned for another build thread when I find another 88 chassis to build it on (yes, the motor survived!). I'm fine, just some scrapes and a scratch on my forehead.

more pics and original resolution ones at http://www.pbase.com/series8217/wreck/

I do not recommend running off the road unless you FIRST check whether or not doing so will send your car flying 200 feet through the air into a canyon.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 11-27-2006).]

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Holy crap!
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
The fact that you walked away from that is a testament to the safety of our little cars.
Sorry to see it go that way though but glad you are ok. That's all that counts in the end.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

The car is dead. Stay tuned for another build thread when I find another 88 chassis to build it on (yes, the motor survived!). I'm fine, just some scrapes and a scratch on my forehead.

I already saw these and commented in another thread you posted.
I'm glad you didn't die. You're very fortunate in that regard. Happy that the twin-cam will live on.

Please allow me to be the first to tell you...
"That'll buff right out!"

Too bad you're not on the eastern side of the country. I know of 2 or 3 not-running 88 coupes for sale. One even has T-tops.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe................................................

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Steven, Steven . . . . I'm glad you're OK!

I remember a photo in a car magazine back in the '70s. A very European man standing beside a road, his Ferrari wrecked in the gulley below. He seems to be contemplating something while smoking a cigarette. The caption under the photo reads, " 'Good tires . . . , but not great tires' mused Aldo"

unclemyke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unclemykeSend a Private Message to unclemykeDirect Link to This Post
that musta' been one HELUVA' RIDE. YEEEEHAAAAA! glad you're OK!
antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
wow....
you allright
what happen?
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
holy crap!! What happened? Glad you made it out alive
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Driving too fast at night on Hwy 25, braked too late for a turn and went off the road, flew over a fence, front left corner hit the ground, car bounced and cartwheeled into a hill backwards (doing the majority of the damage), then bounced off that to the bottom of the first level of the canyon where you see I landed in the pics. I'm alright, just got some cuts and scrapes.

I certainly won't be doing that again...
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroDirect Link to This Post
Well Steven one good thing is it looks as if the fence is ok. You must have cleared it.

Btw we have a chassis for you one way or another.
That will teach ya to hit 25 with out me!! As soon as you throw your stuff on one of these chassis we will have to hit 25 again.
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Glad you are okay.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it out of there OK, Steven. (insert string of expletives here).

I'll check into an 88 frame for you. Toddster might have one.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Glad you made it out of there OK, Steven. (insert string of expletives here).

I'll check into an 88 frame for you. Toddster might have one.

Thanks, John!

Pokey just called me. Toddster has a car. Sounds like just what I need too ;-)
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock