Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  2 speed wipers now only one speed-high. Why?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

2 speed wipers now only one speed-high. Why? by maryjane
Started on: 05-12-2006 09:03 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: ka4nkf on 05-13-2006 03:43 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
84 se. The 2 speed wipers will only work on high now, and won't park themselves at the bottom when they are turned off. I don't have my manual here, (or electrical schematic) having left both Haynes and GM factory manual in East Texas last trip. Anyone have any insight into this?
How does the wiper motor achieve a slower speed--A resistor?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shibbypoopalot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShibbypoopalotSend a Private Message to ShibbypoopalotDirect Link to This Post
Odds are you need the new cover for the motor. Its got a circuit board in the inside and enought moisture in there will cause them to do all kinds of stupid things. There was a lady in my shop the other day whose wipers were on high all the time no matter what. New pulse board fixed that right away. You may have to go to GM to get a new one, or you may even have to get a whole new motor.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Two speed wipers don't have a pulse board. The motor has two windings, one is energized for low speed and both for high speed. The problem is likely in the motor park switch. The diagram below shows how a GM two speed wiper was wired (don't know if the diagram is for a Fiero but it should be similar).

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!
Now, is there an external relay for the wipers--between the in-column switch and the motor--or is the relay built into the wiper motor housing?

Is the park switch inside the housing?
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
My guess is the wiper switch in the column
Don
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Don
If it is the wiper switch, then they are very expensive and tough to install. Here is what I would do. Go to auto zone or advance and get the switch and tell the clerk that you want to take it out to the car and make sure it fits. Then go to your car and unplug the four wire connector under the dash on the column and plug the new one in and see if it works. This is not cheating on the dealer and can save you some time and money.
Don
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yep, Don, I know where the switch is, fairly deep inside the column. Saw it when I fixed the loose screws for the tilt steering last year. On my 84, the connector is 5 (maybe 6) pins--3 one one side of the connector--2 on the other I believe. Had it apart yesterday, just before I posted this. I knew part of the problem was in that connector, because when they wouldn't work at all, I could wiggle the wires going to that connector and the wipers would come on--hi speed only-which is better than no wipers at all.
The wipers had quit working altogether--or intermidettly, but when I reseated the 2 part connector, and pushed all the pins up fully, the hi speed began working again. Still won't park themselves tho. Looking at the wiring diagram Spark1 posted, it looks like the park feature is on the low side circuit, so that seems to explain that.

I've checked-no one at any of the parts places around here has a switch, and since I am moving next weekend, I am hesitant to order one in--it may arrive and I won't be here. May have to wait till I get down there to take care of it.

Is there no relay up in the front compartment somewhere? Besides the park relay inside the wiper housing.

And, I really need a 84 wiring diagram for the wipers if anyone can post one or a link. Couldn't find it on Sholtz's website. Can't believe I left both manuals down in East Texas!!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-13-2006).]

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
This may help, but I will try to find the 84.
Don

http://members.cox.net/2dry4u/links/delaywiper.html
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

This may help, but I will try to find the 84.
Don

http://members.cox.net/2dry4u/links/delaywiper.html

Thanks!
Maybe it will work if I can dis associate the delay/mist portion, because I have no delay wipers. Strictly 2 speed wipers.
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2006 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Here is another one. Look under Electrical, Then third artical from the bottom
Don

http://www.tweaktech.com/fiero/

[This message has been edited by ka4nkf (edited 05-13-2006).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave