2.5 to 2.8 engine swap by psychosurfer
Started on: 05-11-2006 12:21 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Raydar on 05-12-2006 10:40 AM
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, As a lot of you know, I have an 88 se auto (along with many other) fiero that has been sitting for a few years now. A few years back a friend borrowed the car, the belt broke, and she overheated the heck out of it. The engine still ran but knocked VERY loudly. After that I converted it to a getrag-lt1 car and drove it like that for a year or so. I fell on hard tiems and sold all the v8-getrag and new cradel out of it with the intension of puttin a 4 cylinder back in it. After having now bought 3 bad used 4 bangers, Im looking at buying a rebuilt one, or putting a complete 2.8 set up in it and making a "fake" formula. What do you think? What is involved with a v6 swap in an 88 auto set up? Is it just an engine and harness swap? Could I just put new min bearings in the original 2.5 and call it done. I have had this car for YEARS. I drove it on an 8 week 16000 mile trip when I was in college and am very attaached to it. Any input is appreciated...
Surfs Up!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey Psycho,

It's actually not that difficult of a swap. However... you'll want / need a parts V6 car. Realistically... you'll want to transfer everything over. If you have the money, it would be worth your while to swap in a 3.4. You'll want to bring everything over from the engine compartment of the donor vehicle. You shouldn't have to change anything inside the cabin of the car except the ECM.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2L) Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

Hey everyone, As a lot of you know, I have an 88 se auto (along with many other) fiero that has been sitting for a few years now. A few years back a friend borrowed the car, the belt broke, and she overheated the heck out of it. The engine still ran but knocked VERY loudly. After that I converted it to a getrag-lt1 car and drove it like that for a year or so. I fell on hard tiems and sold all the v8-getrag and new cradel out of it with the intension of puttin a 4 cylinder back in it. After having now bought 3 bad used 4 bangers, Im looking at buying a rebuilt one, or putting a complete 2.8 set up in it and making a "fake" formula. What do you think? What is involved with a v6 swap in an 88 auto set up? Is it just an engine and harness swap? Could I just put new min bearings in the original 2.5 and call it done. I have had this car for YEARS. I drove it on an 8 week 16000 mile trip when I was in college and am very attaached to it. Any input is appreciated...
Surfs Up!

Hey, we need to talk, I'm in Martinez and there's another guy on here in Augusta (Surfmiester).
Never seen an 88SE, is just an 88 coupe with SE panels?
Anyway, swap in the 2.8 you need the fuel pump swapped out, ECM + wiring, a motor mount, and a few other small parts I can't come up with off the top of my head.
The exhaust is pretty much the same from the cat-back but if your going to the V6 you may want to grab a dual setup to go on it if it isn't already. I have installed a 86SE exhaust onto a 88 base coupe in the past with no fitment problems.
Personally I would stick with the 2.5 for fuel economy and ease of getting it back on the road but it's really a personal choice you have to make yourself.
BTW I see an 85 GT in the I-Wanta for $1500 if you really want a V6.
Surge (Surfmiester) and myself occasionally meet at the Hooters on Washington Rd, need to hook up sometime. My car is waiting on a ball joint, the whole frontend is out from under it right now, getting poly, S/T springs, etc.

Edited to add: Notice you had an LT1 in the car at one point, so you probably already have the higher pressure fuel pump and if you do you may need a pressure regulator to bring the pressure back down for the 4 banger.
------------------
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me.

[This message has been edited by DRA (edited 05-11-2006).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I did the same swap.
If you can find a wrecked 88 V6 donor car, you'll be way ahead of the game. It will save you from having to run down ten thousand individual little bits and pieces.

You'll need the engine, 88 front (crankshaft end) mounting bracket and mount, trans brackets and mounts (the 4 banger automatic has a goofy uni-mount), V6 fuel pump, the air filter canister and ducting, V6 throttle cable, the heater hose that goes from the thermostat housing to the under-car lines (87 and 88 are the same), dog bone, wiring harness and ECM.

If you have an 88 V6 harness, everything is plug and play in the engine compartment. Not sure about earlier year harnesses.

If you have A/C and want to retain it you will need the wiper/heater motor harness from a V6 car (which contains the wiring for the low pressure switch on the receiver/drier) and the low pressure switch itself.
Failure to swap this harness and add the switch can lead to your compressor becoming a doorstop. Don't ask me how I know this.
Use the V6 compressor and lines.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
If I don't respond in the thread, it's probably because I've lost track of it. You can always send me email.

Originally posted by DRA:
...Notice you had an LT1 in the car at one point, so you probably already have the higher pressure fuel pump and if you do you may need a pressure regulator to bring the pressure back down for the 4 banger.

Very true for the 4 banger. OTOH, it will be just fine for the V6.
------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fasback.............................. 88 3.4 coupe................................................

Praise the Lowered! Read Nealz Nuze!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-11-2006).]

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
The heater wiper harness that you wrote about, where does that run ftom, Is it in the front compartment, under the dash?

Thanks

Anybody got one?
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Should be under the hood. You could post a WTB in the mall or look on ebay for one... I would go the 3.4 --if your doing a complete drop and swap --unless you have a heck of a deal on a 2.8 ...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DandRauto:
The heater wiper harness that you wrote about, where does that run ftom, Is it in the front compartment, under the dash?

It's in the front compartment. The main connector is sort of behind/under the brake booster.
It snakes along the outside of the bulkhead over toward the right side fenderwell. It plugs into the heater blower, and wiper motor. Also has plugs for a couple of relays and the washer pump.
If your car has a sunroof, there is a plastic tray along the top of the bulkhead that will be in the way. It's held on by three hex screws.

The low pressure switch screws onto the shrader valve which sticks out on the left (driver's side) of the receiver/drier.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock