3.1 Intake manifold gasket- cut or not? by FieroOilAnalyst
Started on: 05-10-2006 03:08 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: FieroOilAnalyst on 05-10-2006 07:51 PM
FieroOilAnalyst

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone!

I REALLY know this is for Fiero related...but I am a Fiero guy that happens to be working on a Camaro. Please forgive me and I'll ask this to go to off topic if needed. But there is a reason why I'm asking the Fiero guys instead of anyone else. I've been here for some time and appreciate the level of help given by folks on this board.

I'm doing intake manifold gaskets on a 92 3.1. The manual says to cut the gasket in order to fit it around the push rods. The gaskets say "do not cut". What will happen if I cut the gaskets? The engine runs very well and really doesn't need any type of valve lash adjustment. I'll do it if necessary but wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks- Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroOilAnalyst:
....What will happen if I cut the gaskets? .....

they may not line up right. when you put the manifold on, and start torquing, the pressure on the gasket is mostly downwards, and this may push the gasket downward.
I do see why you dont want to lash the valves, it is a PITA.
it mostly a judgement call - it could work out just fine. I'm sure people have done it, and it came out fine.
I will say dont cut them, and lash the valves. its another hour added to the job. well worth knowing you dont have to do the job again.

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I will say dont cut them, and lash the valves. its another hour added to the job. well worth knowing you dont have to do the job again.

Now we know why I posed this question to the Fiero folks. Great way of putting it and thanks for the opinion. Now I'll go back to the garage and do it right.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
DO NOT CUT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost a 2500 (that's hundred, not thousand) mile motor when one of those failed at the DO NOT CUT area. The gasket slid over enough to expose the coolant passage and dumped all of the coolant into the oil pan. Trashed the whole bottom end. Was not fun at all.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-10-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Never cut the intake gaskets. You have to remove the pushrods to properly install the gasket. Not doing so will likely result in a rapid and catastrophic failure of the motor.

JazzMan
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
don;t cut them.
use a breaker bar on the socket to remove the rocker arm nuts, count the turns you back off until the push rod is removable.
remove it, slip it thru the gasket , replace it, and tighten the same number of turns you loosened. do it one at a time, or make a chart, either way works, just do it even number of turns. no adjustment necessary when done, if none was needed before.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 05-10-2006).]

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. After the first post I went down to the garage and did the job the correct way. I just loosened all the rocker nuts, put the gasket on correctly, installed the distributor and did a valve lash adjustment per the book.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback. Fiero folks rock!!

Matt

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock