Bogs and Stalls with Cold Engine by Semi-crazy
Started on: 04-28-2006 03:38 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Semi-crazy on 05-01-2006 06:05 PM
Semi-crazy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Semi-crazySend a Private Message to Semi-crazyDirect Link to This Post
95% on my way to driving this car everyday, just have to fix this last concern.

I have been reading a lot of posts on hunting idle, but mine doesn't hunt to much when it is cold and not at all when it is warm.

My problem is when the engine is cold it has no power and if I let out the clutch without keeping the rpm up it will just stall and I almost have to pump the throttle. It will bog down as I try to accelerate as well. Plus at idle it will hunt a little but it stays close to 1300 rpm, however I can hold the throttle at 2000 rpm and it will dance around quite a bit, fairly smooth as I get above 3000rpm though.

It runs pretty good when warmed up though when it is warm and it will accelerate nicely (very fun) and it idles nice and smooth around 900 rpm.

I have replaced,
IAT (Edit - MAT not IAT- Sorry for the confusion)
CTS for ECM
No Cat
Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor
Ign Coil
Pickup coil
Some Vacuum Lines
IAC

I have tested/set,
timing set and checked twice 10 to 11 deg of timing when 195 deg with aldl pins grounded
with new IAC, finger over the hole in TB stalls the car
ingition module tested 4 times in a row to make sure it worked when to hot to touch
no codes except 32 for EGR since it removed

My next move is to replace the MAP, check the TPS with my multi meter, and have someone try to watch the Fuel pressure gauge through the glass while I drive. Anyone have any ideas?, I am thinking about a scanner to help me see real time data as some of the old posts say it is very helpful.

------------------
Nate
Project - 86 Fiero GT, 165K, 2.8L, 5 Speed (Isuzu)

Daily Driver - 93 K2500 6.5L TD, Gauges, K&N, 4in to 5in Stacks, 4.10s, 285/75 ATs, Boost Mods, Bumped Timing, Fuel Mods, 261K, 6.34 NV4500 Swapped for 4L80E, SMF, Luk Clutch, Flowmaster X-over & DP

[This message has been edited by Semi-crazy (edited 04-28-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
theres the air temp sensor (MAT) in the air filter can
most cold running problems are the MAT & the CTS, since you mentioned you replaced the CTS, that just leaves the MAT
Semi-crazy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Semi-crazySend a Private Message to Semi-crazyDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I put IAT on my list. To many cars on my mind , I forget that it is called the MAT on the fiero.

So yes it is already replaced, but thank you for your input anyway and catching my mistake. I will edit my original post to say MAT.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2006 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You've covered a lot good job.

Other ideas. You might put a vacuum gauge on and see what the idle vac does between cold and hot to see if there are small leaks that close up when warm.

Get a cable and log the timing advance.
Disconnect the egr valve or monitor the vac. on it and see if that makes any difference.

Check the fuel pressure.

Might check out the cat for back pressure.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-28-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Hows the 02 sensor ? For the winaldl try here for cable or strat110 in the mall:

http://www.aldlcable.com/

for the program:

http://winaldl.joby.se
Semi-crazy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Semi-crazySend a Private Message to Semi-crazyDirect Link to This Post
TPS sensor tester good,

MAP sensor was the cause. I replaced it and then reset the the ECM. After driving it once for a little while so the ECM could learn this new sensor the problem was gone for the rest of the driving I did for the weekend.

Time for some new high performance summer tires so I can start driving this thing everyday...

Thanks to all the help and suggestions. I am thinking about the winaldl now Superfast.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock