Started on: 04-24-2006 10:21 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: J Gunsett on 04-25-2006 06:35 PM
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked your oil pressure with an accurate gauge (not the one on the dash). Engine up to temp and at idle (750 to 800 RPMs), 10 - 30 weight oil. I get 9.7 to 10 PSI. I never had a problem with the oil light coming on, but about 2 weeks ago I had a drop in what looks like oil pressure. I put in a new sending unit, no change. That’s when I put on the very accurate gauge. Tomorrow I am going to remove the Aux gauge package and check to see if that is where the problem may be. What about the pressure regulator, is that located, in the oil pump? Thanks for the help.

Jack

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post
There have been other threads about this, but for all intents these engines don't make squat for oil press when at temp at idle. Iv'e been running Valvoline 15-40 dura blend with good results. Cheers. Joe
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Sounds normal to me too.

Pete

------------------

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Yep, warm idle my 4.9 runs around 10psi oil pressure according to my Autometer gauge. It's a fresh rebuild too so I'm sure it's normal.

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
We did a fresh rebuild on Fierodan's 4.9 and all clearances were new spec. According to the gauge it has about 15 psi at hot idle but the light flickers once in a while. I also think that about 10 psi at hot idle is normal and nothing to worry about.

John Stricker
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the good replies. I think the problem is in the Aux gauges. Hope to take some test equipment home tonight and see if the gauge and oil light are set correctly. If anyone is going to Ed's, see you there.

Jack
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
As PBJ states, I get the oil light at idle all the time. You learn to ignore it after a while.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
If you have a 86 or 87 Aux gauge package, they are set higher (I think around 20, maybe 15 PSI), but the 88 is set for 7 PSI for the red light. I have the 88 and now that the red light comes on it is realy buging me. It never did this before.

Jack
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I never get a light and maybe it is my gage but my car shows over 40psi driving and drops to 20psi at idle. I did not block of the oil cooler did yall block of the oil cooler lines?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

If you have a 86 or 87 Aux gauge package, they are set higher (I think around 20, maybe 15 PSI), but the 88 is set for 7 PSI for the red light. I have the 88 and now that the red light comes on it is realy buging me. It never did this before.

Jack

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but wouldn't a lower setting on the 88 make the light LESS likely to come on?
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Mine and all of the conversions I've done also show about 20 psi at idle on the gauge, but the light flickers on some of them, some of them it doesn't. They have all used Ed's harness and that requires an '88 sender. I suspect a difference in senders or gauges. On Dan's car it's an '87 with GT Gauges, the Finale is an '85 but has GT gauges out of something else and I don't know the year they came out of. Yes, the oil cooler is blocked off.

John Stricker

Originally posted by F355spider:

I never get a light and maybe it is my gage but my car shows over 40psi driving and drops to 20psi at idle. I did not block of the oil cooler did yall block of the oil cooler lines?

PFF
System Bot
aqua-man

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aqua-manSend a Private Message to aqua-manDirect Link to This Post
I use 20-50 mobile 1 in my 4.9 and do not get the oil light to come on and it's a 86 GT. I tried a 10-30 and did get a light. Normal pressure listed at 5-800 rpms / idle is 10-15 psi at 1100 rpms I get 35-40.

Earl

------------------
1986 FieroGT now a 4.9

86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Mine ran at 10psi with a mechanical gauge and no oil cooler. Totally normal.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Good responses. I was thinking of going to 20 - 50W oil but I think I am going to install an oil cooler and see what that does. One thing, it can not hurt to try it. I thought I was going to be able to check the calibration on my oil gauge but I am running out of time to get that done and have the car ready to head for Ed's Thursday morning. While I am at Ed's I am going to pick-up a used oil filter housing so I can get all the fitting and hoses ready to add the cooler. I hope someone brings an 88 Aux gauge package to sell, that should fix the problem.

Jack

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock