painting for newbies by Michaell Knight
Started on: 04-24-2006 11:13 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Michaell Knight on 04-29-2006 10:10 AM
Michaell Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
stupid question but do you need to bake it after painting ?
can it be done in regular garage with out baking and still have it look good?
assuming i have all the tools needed how much would it cost to paint my car
dark dark cherry red ( almost black )?
I'm getting a garage in about a week or so wont have any of the tools but
just trying to an idea of what I'm getting into

Any past experience from anybody?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The pros use an oven to help the paint cure faster. You can paint in your garage but you will have to wait for the paint to dry longer. The pros need to get cars done quick so they use their car ovens to help speed things up. Roger Garrison is the resident paint expert here. You could PM him with any questions you have or do a search using his name.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-24-2006).]

Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
cool thanks man
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Roger Garrison is the resident paint expert here. You could PM him with any questions you have or do a search using his name.

Firefox (Mark) too!
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2006 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michaell Knight:

No. Shops use the ovens to dry the paint faster for production time reasons. It doesn't make the paint any more durable.

Absolutely. I worked in a body shop and now I spray as a hobby. I have my 2 car garage set up for painting and I'm painting show cars.

The cost for paint varys greatly depending on quality of materials, cost of color ( some colors are much more expensive than others ), and what kind of repairs you need to make. If you have a local paint supplier, it's best to talk to them about cost of paint, primer, reducers/thinners....etc.

You'll need a nice sized compressor ( I use a 6.5 hp/ 60 gallon tank ), spray gun ( there are a lot of choices ), plastic for covering anything in the garage to keep dust down, a dual action orbital sander ( D/A ), a good blow gun, a ventilation fan, lots of lighting, charcoal-activated resperator, a good block sander, a variable-speed buffer/polisher, plus whatever tools you need to pull apart your car.

Lots of guys on here have painted their own cars. Roger is in the painting business and I used to be ( as I said, it's now more of a hobby for me ).

Mark

------------------

Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
thanks firefox to bad you live so far away
i would offer you some money to paint mine lol
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post

Michaell Knight

112 posts
Member since Jan 2006
oh one more thing how the hell do i pm people????
thanks
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

oh one more thing how the hell do i pm people????
thanks

See that little box at the top of the text box your typing in ? You can hit that if Roger is on a thread and it will set you up to send a private message to him (email) or you can use the search box at the top of the page and type in his username rogergarrison which will take you to him or you can use the members list page and find him there in aph order.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
LOL Mark, you dont know what your talking about.

As usual, same as what Mark (Firefox) said. I only had a booth in one shop I ever worked at. Jobs I shot in there were always dirtier than ones done in the open. Seemed like there was so much suction, all the dirt in the place got sucked thru the cracks. Ive done MANY MANY show cars and vans in an open garage. One van customizer I did muraled vans for started out having me paint them in a working dirt floor cow barn with 4 portable flood lites. Any dust that you do get can be buffed out later.

And again, yes, the only reason they bake them is to get them out of the way quick to do the next one. Has nothing to do with the paints durability or looks. Maaco shoots some of the used cars I do and brings them back done in a couple of hours after Ive done all the masking and prep.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-25-2006).]

Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
now about these 60 gal compressors , is there a good source to find one for a good price?
Everything else i think i can get easy , thats the only thing that makes me look at my bank
account and well................wish upon a star , lol
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
60 gal, 6 hp, at least 12-15 cfm. I have a 80 gal, 6 1/2hp, 18 cfm for my shop. Its a Coleman...paid $695 at Home Depot. You can find cheaper at places like Harbor Freight. I dont like Campbell-Hausfield, one I had always was breaking down. Make sure you get a 220 volt one. THe big one may cost more, but one will outlast 10 small ones.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-25-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Along with those options, I'll suggest looking at Sears. I have a 6.5/60 gallon 220 volt unit that I've had for 6 years now and still runs as strong as the day I bought it, and it keeps up nicely, even with my sandblasting cabinet.

Mark
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
hey roger....do you take on side jobs? im needing a full paint job, maybe a color change. would rather it be done by a fellow Fiero enthusiast for obvious reasons.

im originally from Gahanna/Reynoldsburg area. up in Toledo now for college.

------------------
Mike
87 GT Factory Wingless

GT Wheel Refinishing Service comming soon.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
At this point (nearly retiring for good) Im not doing any all over jobs as a general rule. Im doing more just repairs for more money and less work. Ill prep one as far as sanding and masking and letting Maaco next door shoot it. Ill shoot one if its pretty much ready, but no color sanding and buffing. All takes up too much time. I do it to my own cars because I can do a little at a time when I feel like it. Dont like to leave others cars around out in the open like that. Mine come in at nite. I can and do offer any free help when I can though.
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
will these compressors that you guys have hold up well to air tools?
I figure i would ask if i can kill to birds with one stone since i will also
be looking into a 4.9 or a 3.4 swap to do in this same garage I'm speaking of.
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

At this point (nearly retiring for good) Im not doing any all over jobs as a general rule. Im doing more just repairs for more money and less work. Ill prep one as far as sanding and masking and letting Maaco next door shoot it. Ill shoot one if its pretty much ready, but no color sanding and buffing. All takes up too much time. I do it to my own cars because I can do a little at a time when I feel like it. Dont like to leave others cars around out in the open like that. Mine come in at nite. I can and do offer any free help when I can though.

I think he's fibbin'. He's too busy watching the lesbians outside his shop.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
I use air tools all the time with no problems. I also have the nice sandblasting cabinet.
sostock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sostockSend a Private Message to sostockDirect Link to This Post

i'm kinda talking out my butt here because i have yet to paint my car but this is my advice. go buy a "paint and bodywork" manual from your local auto parts store. i can't remember the name of the one i have but there is lots of good info in these books. well worth the $15. it will give you an idea of what you are getting into.

most of the "hard" work is in the prep. sanding, sand paper, prep-sol, clean rags, primer, sanding, good fresh masking tape, paper, did i mention sanding? not trying to discourage you but there is a reason body shops charge so much to "just paint a car". a little bit of dust or old wax can ruin any kind of paint no matter how its applied.

i just want you to know the kind of job you're getting into. even doing it yourself it will probably cost you several hundred dollars. good luck to you.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You cant learn too much. Im sure even I could pick up tips from another painter. Some from me thats usually not mentioned is to lay a chain over the frame and the floor to ground the car to help stop static electricity attracting dust to the surface, and I prefer paper/ disposable rags/ towells. Even clean rags can easily have residue in them to mess up a job...like silicone, grease, unrinsed soap. NEVER use those red shop towells in paint work.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
silicone, grease, ect == equals fish-eye in a hurry
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post
thats a good idea , do you think you can buy those at advance?
Never heard the whole " chain to keep the static down " trick
but it sounds ingenious !
what i might do is keep this thread up up n running and do kind of
a build- up thread with pics and have you guys school this new guy
as i go......................now gotta get going with getting the equipment
so i can get thing rollin'. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the
advice you guys are great!
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
For my shop, I just go to KMart once a week and buy a box of 12 Bounty rolls. Costs about $10 or less on sale.
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
This thread is informative as it gets.
I also hope to one-day paint my fiero.
The whole idea is cool. ... I've been around some pro's and the work that you guys do is really impressive and to be respected.
The guy that painted my last fiero (he's painting NYFastback's v8 right now) works at a GM garage and does tons of side jobs... he let's nothing buy good quality work flow out of his home and work-place.
Painters can make a nice car into ARTWORK.
Michaell Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2006 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michaell KnightSend a Private Message to Michaell KnightDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock