4 cyl. alternator replacment by Mike OHIO
Started on: 04-16-2006 04:14 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 3800superfast on 04-17-2006 12:45 AM
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
i know on a 2.8, this is a pain. how hard on a 4 cyl. car? im looking at an 84 bumperpad that needs the alternator replaced. just wanna know what im in for.

------------------
Mike
87 GT Factory Wingless

GT Wheel Refinishing Service comming soon.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You should be able to pass it under the intake manifold and out the other side. Tho that will be an SI unit, which is larger than a CS...

You'll want the dog bone loose/removed so you can flip that up for better access.

The heatshield over the muffer usually has to come out.

The manual trans gives more room than the automatic. On an automatic you'll have to be really careful about the dipstick tube. You may have to take out the bolt that supports it and turn the tube. (Don't pull it out.) Be warned that this could start a leak and you may have to replace the O ring on the tube later.

Be VERY careful with the heater line to the bottom of the intake! Inspect this for leaks as the engine heats up after the repair. If it's leaking it could be anything from simple dirt holding the O ring up to you'll have to replace parts.

You might want to consider a CS130 update. I don't have all the details on doing that on the 4 cyl. Electrically it's not a big deal but I don't know exactly what CS130 fits in place of that SI unit mechanically.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-16-2006).]

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Changing a alternator on a 4 cylinder is as easy as 1 2 3 .sit right on top easy to get at if that help
s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wDirect Link to This Post
I had an '84 bumperpad. I jacked the car up an took it out the bottom. Did not remove anything else but, it was interesting to weave it around everything. My '87 was too tight below so I used a crowbar to tilt the engine just enough when it was almost out. I took the dogbone off that time. Good luck. Also, you don't want to do this multiple times, get a good replacement. Note the proper belt locations on pulleys, my '84 had a extra slot or two and once I used the wrong track, the belts removed themselves. Very bad for engine heating. My 5 cents (inflation)

Brian

86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

?? sorry, but I don't follow

I've done this three times on two different fieros. It really isn't that bad. I remove the dog bone, then the alternator bracket and then the alternator is very free to come out. The only hard part can be getting the 13mm top pivot bolt off. On one car it was ok, but for some reason on the other it was really hard to get a socket between the bolt and fender wall. If you can do it with a wrench then that is great, but if it is too rusted you may need to kinda push the engine off to one side enough to get a socket in there. I have done the whole replacement in a half hour, but that was on my third time. Even then I could have done it quicker. To get at that top bolt you pry off that plastic access cover on the fender wall area. So in short, it is a relatively simple procedure for the 4 cyl. Good luck.

rlinn84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rlinn84Send a Private Message to rlinn84Direct Link to This Post
Mike it is realitivly easy if you need help i can meet you and give you a hand Ray
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
thanks guys. im looking at buying a 4 cyl. fiero that needs a new alternator.

------------------
Mike
87 GT Factory Wingless

GT Wheel Refinishing Service comming soon.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Mike , Everything is a little tight and quirkey in there --just takes a little time to move it around & out, beats the heck out of doing the 2.8....lol..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock