Coolant filling and burping procedure? by GTFiero87
Started on: 04-05-2006 07:22 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: jstricker on 04-05-2006 09:52 AM
GTFiero87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero87Send a Private Message to GTFiero87Direct Link to This Post
What exactly is the coolant procedure? I will probably be firing my Fiero up in a couple of weeks and I want to know the proper procedure to fill and burp the system, so I don't screw it up. This will be the 4th time this car will be started up in 10 years, so should I flush the system?

------------------
'87 Fiero GT - 60k, Dark Cherry Metallic
I'm in the "Oh God" stage of working on my Fiero.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero87:

What exactly is the coolant procedure? I will probably be firing my Fiero up in a couple of weeks and I want to know the proper procedure to fill and burp the system, so I don't screw it up. This will be the 4th time this car will be started up in 10 years, so should I flush the system?

Hi, Lift the ass-end up 18-25 inches, remove front rad cap --also rear cap, pour coolant until it flows out the front, then cap off, and keep filling rear until full, drop car , let it run a few minutes until warm--not hot, crack the front cap to let air out, repeat the above a couple of times until all the air is purged out of system, Ogres Cave covers this....

GTFiero87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero87Send a Private Message to GTFiero87Direct Link to This Post
Ok cool, thanks alot. +

------------------
'87 Fiero GT - 60k, Dark Cherry Metallic
I'm in the "Oh God" stage of working on my Fiero.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I wanted to let you know --that you don`t have to leave the T-stat in there the whole time while doing this, hope it helps some....
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
look in Ogre's cave you'll need to get some air out of the heater core.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Take both the radiator cap and the thermostat cap off.
Remove the thermostat.
Lift the back of the car as high as you can up to about 12-18" and be comfortable that it's stable and safe.
Pour coolant into the thermostat opening on the engine until it comes out the radiator, then put the radiator cap on.
Fill the recovery tank to the cold full line.
Continue to add coolant until it appears to be full at the thermostat cap.
When it appears to be full, put the thermostat cap on loosely and start the engine for 30 seconds or so.
Check coolant level. If needed, add more coolant and run the engine again.
Keep doing this until you can add no more coolant.
Lower the car. Add more coolant if you can.
Put the cap on and start the car letting it warm up. The thermostat is still out at this point so you have full circulation.
Let the car cool off so you can safely remove the thermostat cap. Add more coolant if required.
If you can add a lot, then go back to the starting for 30 seconds until you can't add anymore procedure and then warm it up again.
Eventually you will get to the point that you can add no more coolant.
At that point, replace the thermostat and put the cap back on being certain that you have it on tightly.
Watch your temps for the first few trips. A rapidly fluctuating temperature needle (shaking) is an indication of air in the system.

John Stricker

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock