Started on: 04-02-2006 08:42 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: 3800superfast on 04-04-2006 09:33 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i'm looking to do a series 2 3800 SC conversion and wanted to get a running car as a donor. i have both 1985 and 1988 fieros. I'd like to get one that gives the best and most complete set of parts I can use on my Fiero. I'd like to use engine, trans, A/C and maybe power steering. (heads-up display too ?) Which is the best donor to get all this stuff from :

1994 to 1997 Buick Park Avenue
1994 to 1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
1994 to 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
something else ?

Thanks !

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
The 99-02 Grand Prix GTP offers the best parts and one place...

The oil filter adapter is correct for any transmission.
The alt is the smaller version and will clear the decklid on COUPEs only.
The wiring is the same on 99-02 if the wiring harness did not come with it.
The PCM's are the same 99-02, if the PCM did not come with it.
The transmission is the 4T65eHD on all 3800SC 99-02, are the same solenoids and run by the same PCM.
The oil pan is steel and will clear 2.5 inch exhaust running next to it.
The transmission has NSS on it so it is compatible with the Fiero wiring needing the NSS.
The engine harness is arranged so the PCM is not usually cut from the rest of the harness.
The engine harness can be spider wired to the Fiero wiring somewhat easiler than other models with 3800SC.

Lots of good reasons...

Loyde

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Many Thanks ! Looks like I would not even had the correct year - for some reason, I was thinking the series 2 stopped in "97. Since this sad State is so picky about registration, i figured that buying the whole (already licensed and smogged) donor car is the easy way to go ...

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-03-2006).]

3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
I`m running 99 3800SC , but was always told 97 GTP was the easier conversion--I guess not ..
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I did a quick search of the local ads, and see the cheapest 99 - 02 cars are still in the $5k to $6k range. However the 94's and 95's are down into $2k and $3k. I'm thinking to buy a running car if it smogs, have the conversion done, then take the fiero and the donor-car paperwork to the CHP inspection / smog check / DMV and everything should be in order.

i wanna stay out of the series 3 because of the wiring complications.

Is a Series 1 engine and trans all that bad ?

Can someone tell me what years the Series 2 engines were in ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-03-2006).]

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I did a quick search of the local ads, and see the cheapest 99 - 02 cars are still in the $5k to $6k range. However the 94's and 95's are down into $2k and $3k. I'm thinking to buy a running car if it smogs, have the conversion done, then take the fiero and the donor-car paperwork to the CHP inspection / smog check / DMV and everything should be in order.

i wanna stay out of the series 3 because of the wiring complications.

Is a Series 1 engine and trans all that bad ?

Can someone tell me what years the Series 2 engines were in ?

Series II started in 96 in Buick. 97 in Pontiac. 05 in Chevrolet.

Series 1? Not many mod's. Cant use Series II stuff on Series I.

Loyde

dmancheno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmanchenoSend a Private Message to dmanchenoDirect Link to This Post
I pickup 4 weeks ago (ebay) a '88 Fiero GT w/ 3800 SC II from a '99 Buick Park Ave Ultra. Runs very nice. Noticed it's using the Buicks computer too. Wish all the indicators worked on the dash.
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Sounds like a good deal Paul - this way you are able to get ALL the goodies from the GTP. The thing is, that the GTP is NOT the only one that you are going to be able to work with. Loyde is correct when he states that the GTP is the easiest to work with, but being that you are going to be tearing into it, changing the locations of the pulleys and what not; fear not the Park Ave's, Regals, and SSEi's. If you are going to use 'em for your ECM, you can make it THINK that it's a GTP very easily.

I used a SSEi motor for my GT, and while there was a little more cost involved ~ 1oo.oo for the brackets and what not, if you were able to get a whole car, you can more than cover that when all those extra parts hit E-bay. Plus, being that the Regals & SSEi's are not "performance" styled vehicles, there is the real possibility that you can get it at a lower cost than that of the GTP. It's all dependent on how much you are willing work to get the swap into the car.

As for the transmissions, I’m not sure, you'd have to ask others in the "know" about those to which is better & what not.

Originally posted by dmancheno:
I pickup 4 weeks ago (ebay) a '88 Fiero GT w/ 3800 SC II from a '99 Buick Park Ave Ultra. Runs very nice. Noticed it's using the Buicks computer too. Wish all the indicators worked on the dash.

Not hard at all - just some wiring harness modifications that will be via the C2o3. The Park Ave may need to get a coolant temp sensor that is capable of the temp being sent to the gauge. Not sure on that, but easy to check none the less if it's there or not.

Did the previous owner include a schematic to what was done w/ the car when the install was completed?

--Allen

------------------

** Rice; it''s what's COOKIN **
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Allen, I have a 88GT 3800SC --donor was a 99 Park-Ave-Ultra , the temp sensor is there, is it being used for the gauges ? hmmmm I don`t know , Loyde talked me through all the gauges on his cell phone while it was storming in his area and he was picking up a customer--he did all that by memory. Now thats as good as it gets.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock