3.1 Swap by Fiero Owner
Started on: 03-28-2006 06:27 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Fiero Owner on 04-03-2006 08:18 PM
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Well, after countless hours of trying to get my duke running half decent in my 84SE I've decided it's not worth it. So, I'm on a tight budget right now so I was thinking what I could do about this. Well I know I can get an old Caviler around here with a 3.1 in it with 160k for pretty cheap ($100 Canadian). So I'm going to pick that up real soon and hopefully drop the engine out of it this weekend.

Now, what all would be involed in this swap? The Caviler is an auto as well is my car, so should I take that tranny too? I know I'll have to weld on some new mounts, but about how much work is it swapping a 3.1 in a Fiero? Do I need a new rad? I may get a new one anyways as the tranny cooler in mine leaks. I'm not looking to spend over $500 canadian on this. I have full access to a garage and all the tools I could possibly need.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4-mulaGT
From: Somewhere beetween raisin' hell... and saving grace. oh... and MN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4-mulaGTSend a Private Message to 4-mulaGTDirect Link to This Post
The GM 2.8L V6 engine block is identical to the 3.1L engine block

Except the 3.1 has a longer stroke to increase displacement and different pistons to reduce compression.

If your going to do a swap with the cavaliers 3.1 than it would complicate the swap. But you can simply swap 3.1 pistons and crank (rods are the same) into a fiero 2.8

You dont need to swap transmissions it would just complicate the swap even more.

[This message has been edited by 4-mulaGT (edited 03-28-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Either way , its easier to just drop in the 3.1 , than to do a internal rebuild on the 2.8 with using 3.1 parts, that gets kinda costly.....
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, you can probably get away with doing this for your $500 canadien. this is assuming "all the tools" includes welder & someone (hopefully you) can use it. you will have to relocate the dogbone. you will have to do some exhaust.

yes, use the caviler trans if you can. you will need new axles. might pop your budget.
and of course, use the 3.1 computer. the wiring will be intimidating. its nowhere mear as bad as it looks. really.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I have an article from the Fiero Owner Magazine describing how to swap a V6 into an '84 Fiero.

LINK

Just keep in mind that using a 3.1 will complicate things a bit.

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4-mulaGT:

If your going to do a swap with the cavaliers 3.1 than it would complicate the swap. But you can simply swap 3.1 pistons and crank (rods are the same) into a fiero 2.8

This is incorrect. The Cavalier 3.1 is an aluminum head engine, and has the wrong pistons for Fiero heads. You would need 3.1 pistons from another iron head engine like the Firebird or the Lumina Van.

If you are going to use the Cavalier engine, you will need the entire wiring harness and computer for the engine.

I would carefully check compression and all of the bearings in that engine before putting it in.

[This message has been edited by Gary W (edited 03-29-2006).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Engine will bolt up with a little work problem is the accesory holes in the end of the heads are in different spots on the aluminum head engines. Fiero V6 mounts can be modded to work but the exhaust will need work as with wiring it up. Save the engine harness and the ECM from the cavalier and swap every thing. Done a few of these swaps they are a tight fit but work well compared to a 2.5l duke. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Alright, thanks for the replies, I'll be getting the Cavalier this weekend and hopefully starting the swap.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
If the Cavalier has the digital gauge cluster in it and you aren't going to be using it I would like to buy it from you.

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL CHAMPS!!!

Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I'll let you know when I get it.
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
With all due respect, it sounds like the amount of work involved is similar to a 3.4L DOHC or more than a 3.4L Camaro motor. Surely, you've considered them?

However, it could exceed your budget (esp the DOHC, though the 3.4OHV isn't bad), and if that's the case, that makes sense. It'll hardly be drop in though, so be ready for some wiring and fab to make it work. Good luck!

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I got a garage with a few lifts and a welder and all that stuff. I plan on running the 3.1 for this summer and maybe next summer. I'm buying a 3800SC in the fall and getting it built then dropping that in. I'm just not looking at spending much money right now as I don't really have it to spend.
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Well I bought the Cavalier today, no digital dash Fiero1Fan. It is a 94 3.1 3spd auto. 162km's on it, will drop the engine next weekend hopefully.
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any pics of one of these swaps, the 3.1 out of the fiero ready to go in and installed in the fiero?

I'll be dropping the engine out of the cavalier next weekend and be starting to clean it up and get it ready for the fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock