Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Replacement A/C Controls Available Soon ?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Replacement A/C Controls Available Soon ? by PaulJK
Started on: 03-04-2006 09:53 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 03-09-2006 09:23 PM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I saw his thread in the Kit Car forum and wanted to pass it along to those with more technical knowledge than me.

http://69.94.88.210/index.php?topic=4103.405

It sounds like they're getting close to havning a working unit, but I don't know enough about the technical stuff to know for sure . Jon, maybe this will catch your interest ?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm not an electrical guru but I think I could build such a thing for the Fiero. But that's about #11 on my top ten list of things to do.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I can do switches and gauges and stuff, but that A/C panel is nothing I want to mess with . Sure would like to see someone adapt / sell something different though.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-05-2006).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Bob (Riceburner98) is a member here. He actually had a thread here with info ofn that conversion that's now in the archives. He started working on the AC controls when working out some problems on his dash swap. Bob a good guy. Give him a jingle.

Bob

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Just wish I had more time to actually work on it.. Had to do some overtime at work yesterday, and just now getting home from the girlfriend's in Boston today, but I'm working on it. It's almost there, and seems to work pretty well. After this one's done, I'll be working on a Lambo Diablo one that will be a drop-in replacement for the stock Fiero unit, fitting where the normal one is right now. Also one that's the OEM Diablo size, but I figured a smaller one for stock Fiero interiors would be cool. Not cheap, but a cool upgrade. Edit to add a picture in case they don't show up on the kitcar.ca website. (think you have to be a member to see pix?)
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC running great! Fixed the bent roof, now I need an intercooler! Yeehaa!)

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 03-05-2006).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Man, that looks super ... I'm keeping my finger crossed that it willl turn out problem-free. Please keep us updated - I'd sure like to know when this would be available

PS. Does the automatic temp. control portion work, i.e., can you set the temp. degrees and the unit will maintain it ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-06-2006).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!

Sure would like to see one in the stock Fiero size.

I never cease to be amazed at the scope of the talent of some of the people on this Forum.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-06-2006).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

PS. Does the automatic temp. control portion work, i.e., can you set the temp. degrees and the unit will maintain it ?

Not yet, but the electronics will support it when I get enough time to program that. Just have to add a temperature sensor or 2. Also plan on adding a digital readout, but not sure that will work too well in the 355 replicas... This one won't be able to fit in the Fiero location, but the Diablo one will, and will also feature an LED or LCD temperature readout.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Actually I'd be happy with the set-up as is, without the digital readout. I like to just set the temp with the dial and let it alone The readout is just something else I'll need to find a place to mount.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-07-2006).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Here's some food for thought from the Lambo Lounge. If you could build one of these to fit the space in a fiero, we'll get some guys and have a parade in your honor

http://www.lambolounge.com/Interior/Air-Conditioner/controls/controls.asp

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-08-2006).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Which one? The one I've been working on is a slightly scaled-down version of the stock late-model Diablo one. (the one that says "DIABLO" on the screen) The real one is like $1k, and someone has actually partially hacked one on that site and got it to work with an aftermarket heating system, my hat is off to them!! Unfortunately it's still tons of $$, but would be the absolute best looking Diablo controller. I bought an LCD panel that may work out for displaying the "DIABLO" text and other information, just not sure on the resolution yet, and I haven't even had the spare time to power it up. The older-style "square button" Diablo controller could use the same electronics, and the guys over at Lambostuff.com actually reproduced the button panel, which is made to hide a stock Fiero panel. By hooking up some switches to that one you could easily make it functional. (even the 7-segment LED display for the temp) Now as for the big blue LCD panel further down that page, that thing is NUTS! I can only hope to have the skill to create that thing. LOL You could use that to control anything in the car by the looks of it....
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
If I had to pick from those 3, I'd pick this one bcause it looks like it will fit the fiero space comfortably:

BUT if I could choose from others, I like this one; its from a 2005 BMW 325XI:

These things are on eBay all the time, so let me know if you want me to look for something

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
The BMW one is kind of cool, but I'm sure it would need to be connected to a Bimmer ECM to get the display working as-is. It could be hacked and have the existing buttons wired into my control panel, which would be cool.. The stock Diablo one above is too big to fit in the stock (unmodified) Fiero location, hence the slightly scaled down version to fit the Fiero's existing rectangular opening. It's possible the OEM-sized Diablo replica I'm working on will fit if you cut the stock Fiero panel a bit larger. Hopefully that replica will come out as nice as this 355 one! Just wish these were easier to assemble - with all the tweaks I did to make it fit better, it's still a pain in the arse to assemble. I need 2 more hands!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock