Started on: 02-26-2006 09:23 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Skratch on 03-01-2006 08:31 PM
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I found this schmatic for a low fuel gauge but what changes would I have to make (if any) to make the circuit light one of the instrument panel light bulbs rather than an LED?
Suppost the link would be helpful
http://strickerfarms.rwisp.com/Finale%20Roadster/Disk%2010/lowfuelchevy.jpg

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 02-26-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Phil,

where is the schematic? (Never mind)

[This message has been edited by alex de jorge (edited 02-26-2006).]

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post

alex de jorge

501 posts
Member since Nov 2005
I can barely read the schematic. That would would be something interesting. I would imagine that is your fuel gauge is not accurate so will the "dummy light".
Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm very lucky- both of my Fieros' fuel gages read correctly( they both go down to E )
alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Good for you. Mine does not. Initially it was even worse. I guess since the car sat for a while the gauge was way off. Now though, it is much better. I'll run out of gas with an 1/8 tank left.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The circuit is a simple voltage comparitor. Pin 2 has a voltage divider on it. (The variable pot (VR)should go to ground by the way) This is to adjust the voltage on pin 2 to set when the light comes on. The voltage from the fuel gauge is input to pin 3. The 741 compares the voltage on pin 2 and 3 and if one is higher then the other the output on pin 6 switches and lights the LED. You could take pin 6 and connect a 4.7K resistor to the base of a 2n2222 transistor with it's base tied to ground and it's collector to a small Radio Shack relay and a 1K resistor to +12. The relay would then be used to light a dash light. I could draw up a add-on schematic and some part #'s if you need but should be fairly simple.

alex de jorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner,

That sounds good. Would you?

Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works - could it be rigged to connect to the instrument panel lights - they have a constant 12V+ applied and they light when grounded?
bonezjustice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeDirect Link to This Post
what is that 741 thing? is it something you can get from radio shack or is it already on the car
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The 741 is a called an Op amp. Radio Shack part # 276-007 99 cents.

No it not in the car this would be a total add on circuit..

Since you could drive a small relay with the output you could run most any lights on the dash you want as long as you relay met the current requirments. Catalog #: 275-005 or Catalog #: 275-241 should work.

I'll draw up a quick drawing of the driver for the relay. Will post back in a day or two.

Would take longer if someone wanted a full layout.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-26-2006).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Would anyone be interested in a low fuel indicator if I came up with a working unit.

Could build up a unit that you would connected via four wires to the Fuel gauge wire, +12, Ground, and something like the Door Ajar light.

You would set when you want the light to come on (how low the fuel was) via a variable resistor (pot). Could even have the light flash at a slow rate, something like every 30 seconds. The output would be driven by a relay so should be able to drive several different lights, etc.

PFF
System Bot
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Would anyone be interested in a low fuel indicator if I came up with a working unit.

Could build up a unit that you would connected via four wires to the Fuel gauge wire, +12, Ground, and something like the Door Ajar light.

You would set when you want the light to come on (how low the fuel was) via a variable resistor (pot). Could even have the light flash at a slow rate, something like every 30 seconds. The output would be driven by a relay so should be able to drive several different lights, etc.

Umm...Like Yea. I hate runnig out of gas.

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

That would be so cool, I'd be happy to pay for it. Let me know, I like installing items into my car that appear stock and this fits the bill nicely. -Jason

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Here is the link the above was "borrowed" from http://www.westol.com/~beaurega/gas.htm
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
All the homework has been done for you:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-059238.html

If somebody is building one, can you do one for me ?

Skratch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkratchClick Here to visit Skratch's HomePageSend a Private Message to SkratchDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I would be in for one of those.
Had one in my Olds and my wifes Caddy has one now and I like it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock