Started on: 02-24-2006 07:29 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: ohio86se on 02-25-2006 10:15 PM
ohio86se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Who out there is running theyre 3800SC with the 4 speed muncie?

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 02-24-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
I am running it behind my wild 355 so if durability is your question youll be fine and I would imagine it is great with boost high rpms short gears

dan

------------------
85 GT
355 SBC
.220 Dome TRW Forged Pistons
215cc Dart Iron Eagle Heads 2.05/1.60 Valves
Victor Jr Intake
Barry Grant Mighty Demon 650cfm
Solid 306 Duration 558 Lift Cam
All Comp Valvetrain
All MSD Igntion
All transfered through a 4 speed Manual Trans
Estimated BHP 530
GONNA SPRAY IT THIS SUMMER Most likely 200 shot

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I am runnig a 4 speed muncie behind my SC3800. I did not do the swap myself, however I did notice that the slve bracket had to be modified to clear the stock exhaust crossover. I had the bracket off a few months ago, and meant to take a few pictures of it, but I forgot.

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We have done a swap with a 4 speed. The cross over has to be modfied.

------------------

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
It will work, but for how long that is just gonna depend on how you drive it. Now don't start a flame war about manuals, because if you think a damn Fiero tranny is going to hold up to racing and drag races then you've ignorant. I wouldn't suggest running a 4spd or 5spd, if you plan on drag racing or doing any actual racing. Most people running manuals, get on it in like the middle of 2nd or 3rd and they think that's all the speed they need. If you plan on getting some good track #'s dropping it in 1st and hitting all the gears then I'd suggest an Automatic. If your using it for cruising and won't get into any drag races on the street or what not, then I think you will be okay for a little while I'd guess. I grenaded my 5spd in less than 1,000 miles after doing about 5 track runs. Good luck.

------------------

1 of 2: Factory Maroon/Gray 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 13.704@98mph, 1.938 60ft)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

... they think that's all the speed they need. ....

Not think, but know that I have all the speed I need. I am not a track racer,and I did not get a Fiero with a SC3800 for that purpose. I have a manual out of preference... not necessity.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Im currently in the final stages of my swap and ive got a re-location of the shift cable brackets. Ill be posting my progress tommorow.
Basicily what ive done is to move the gear selector cable over and down. Then move the gate selector cable to the gear selector cable spot.

Ill be posting the my final set-up tommorow.

------------------

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I am not running a 4 speed but will be running a 5 speed as soon as I finish the swap. From my auto swap, I can say for sure that the manuel transmissions are going to catch hell if you like to get on it all the time. My second motor would gernade a 5 speed quik but the auto is handling it well so far. The manuel 3800 car is more of a fun car to drive, getting to shift thru the gears and topping them out. I wanted one of each thats why I did two swaps.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
I stayed with the manual at first because I wanted to. But now I just want to get it on the road. And we will see how it holds up. What I was really looking for is how others have the linkage set-up to avoid the stock cross-over? Like Ive posted earlier Ive got a re-location of the bracket well on the way.

Here are some very preliminary pictures of what Ive gotten done so far.

I dont forsee my doing alot of hot rodding......but we will see after I get this baby in and rolling.. . Thanks for all
the comments.

Just a little OT reason for not posting last night: If you cant post turn off the winxp firewall...... Or atleast when you re-install PIP add the program to your exceptions list under the Firewall settings.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 02-25-2006).]

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
What is it, about these transmissions, that they breaking alot? Is it one part specific part?
I have one attached to my 3800S/C. I might be a able to make an upgraded part, if I knew what part of the transmission keeps breaking.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

My rear defuser

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

What is it, about these transmissions, that they breaking alot? Is it one part specific part?
I have one attached to my 3800S/C. I might be a able to make an upgraded part, if I knew what part of the transmission keeps breaking.

I am not sure. I've had my SC3800 for three years now, and it did eat a throw-out bearing last year... and the throw out bearing ate the release forks. I do not really consider that a tranny failure though becsause the inside of the tranny was fine. Something external (connected to it) failed.

As I sit here thinking for an answer to your question, it dawned on me that there are only a few instances of someone breaking trannies that are attached to the SC3800. FieroX could not keep any behind his car; manual or auto and Rare87 broke a case at the track.

There are probably more, but I am just not aware of them.

PFF
System Bot
hatchetrider84

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hatchetrider84Click Here to visit hatchetrider84's HomePageSend a Private Message to hatchetrider84Direct Link to This Post
my 4 speed locked the 1-2 synchro in 2nd gear after a launch and took a few teeth off of my final drive and split one of my diff
spider gears...$600 later i had it back on the road.

edited for spelling
------------------

[This message has been edited by hatchetrider84 (edited 02-25-2006).]

TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post
I would try to talk you out of a 4-speed, but since you're almost done...

I moved my innermost cable (select I believe) and kept the other one in place. Bracket looks similar to yours. I also left the stock crossover pipe intact.

And for those who are curious, My broken 4-speed list is as follows: all on stock clutch behind a 3800SC.

3:32 - 2nd gear teeth.
4:10 - cracked housing
3:65 with heavy-duty case: Broke blocker ring.

------------------
84 Fiero, 3800SC Series II,4spd manual
12.90 @ 108.9mph

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Well Ive completed the shift linkage arm re-locations. I then test fit the setup into the car and trail shifted through the gears. It feel real smooth.

Here are a few pictures

Tested in the car and hooked up to the shifter

Now I can cross this item on the list of things yet to do before completeing this swap.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 02-25-2006).]

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

Tested in the car and hooked up to the shifter

Now I can cross this item on the list of things yet to do before completeing this swap.

wouldnt the shift be made longer by this also?

[This message has been edited by FieroWannaBe (edited 02-25-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2006 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Yes ...technically the through at the shifter will be slightly longer. I could calculate the difference later after i go out and get an exact measurement on the lever arm length.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock