4.5 or 4.9 Caddy Engine?! by 87SEV6Reborn05
Started on: 01-16-2006 05:35 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 2-tone on 01-17-2006 01:32 PM
87SEV6Reborn05

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87SEV6Reborn05Send a Private Message to 87SEV6Reborn05Direct Link to This Post
Ok help me out here, I have seen threads to so many different swaps on here and this is my problem. I want to upgrade my Fiero. I would love to get the 3800 SC series II like my GTP has but ohhhh trying to find one locally at a decent price.
So lets start right off cheap, that brings me to the 4.5 or 4.9 Caddy Engine (free access to both of these engines) I think the distributor is missing off the 4.9 but that's pretty much it. Everything is still in the car. So what's my best swap between the 2? I have heard the 4.9 is a boat anchor and I would assume maybe the same for the 4.5, but who knows this would be a first for me. This is something I want to get started on this spring maybe sooner depending on my bonus and taxes. Starting with 87 SE V6 with the getrag 5spd, atleast I think it's the getrag hmmmmm the aluminum dipstick and the plastic washer, you kow the pain in the a$$ one to screw back on blindly???
Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.....

Hmm I need a sig, can anyone help?

[This message has been edited by 87SEV6Reborn05 (edited 01-16-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, the 4.9 has more ponies and torque. 200hp, 275ft/lb and the process is the same for either engine.

------------------

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
The older years of that motor had problems. What year is the 4.5? all the 4.9's had whatever the 4.5's and 4.1's had wrong with them fixed, so a 4.9 is a safe motor.

Some of the last years of the 4.5 are alright too, but I don't remember which years are problematic and which aren't. I say go for the 4.9. I think the 4.5 would have about 175 HP and 240 ft lbs, maybe a little more but that's just a guess.

------------------
AIM= Fish100770
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
if you are going with auto then it really doesn't matter. if you want to use the 5-speed then you need the 4.9 due to balancing issues. you will need to have a 3.1 v-6 flywheel plugged and redrilled for the crank due to the fact that there were no stick flywheels made for a 4.9 stock. all of these caddy motors were mated to autos. been there done tat and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

[This message has been edited by 2-tone (edited 01-16-2006).]

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2006 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
hmmm....go grab this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3800-3-8-V6-Supercharged-Engine-with-Auto-Transmission_W0QQitemZ8029565019QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he had a "buy it now" for $500.00 but removed it for some reason. not a bad drive from MO for the price. i'd do it anyway.

87SEV6Reborn05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87SEV6Reborn05Send a Private Message to 87SEV6Reborn05Direct Link to This Post
cooguyfish: The 4.9 is ina 94 Caddy and the 4.5's are in a 91, 88, and 86.

shawnkfl: I never see em til it's too late and I don't have a truck to run up to Wisconsin to grab one.

Ok so I need to see if I can get at the 4.9 and how much he wants for that, and make a list of what I need for the swap.

Swap list:

Originally posted by 2-tone:

you will need to have a 3.1 v-6 flywheel plugged and redrilled for the crank

Caddy wiring harness and computer
Motor mounts?
exhaust
what else do I need 2-tone?

-Jason-
EDIT: ok so i need these as well
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2-tone:

HT4100 RWD left exhaust manifold i used for my duel exhaust set up (no emissions testing here so there are co cats on my car...no room to put them.) you are starting out with a V-6 car so you will need a ECM bracket and gas peadle cable from a 4cyl car (87 or 88 only). I also used a thermostat neak from a 4cyl fiero.

[QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by 87SEV6Reborn05 (edited 01-17-2006).]

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
here is a pic of my engine before i installed it it showes the engine mount bracket from bubbajoe.also shows the HT4100 RWD left exhaust manifold i used for my duel exhaust set up (no emissions testing here so there are co cats on my car...no room to put them.) you are starting out with a V-6 car so you will need a ECM bracket and gas peadle cable from a 4cyl car (87 or 88 only). I also used a thermostat neak from a 4cyl fiero.This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

[This message has been edited by 2-tone (edited 01-17-2006).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
What car is that 1991 4.5 from, an Allante? I think that's the only car in 1991 that still used that motor. If there's any chance you could grab an upper/lower intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel lines, let me know for sure.

Anyway, I'd go with the 4.9 (actually I did, out of a '94 Deville). The 1990 4.5s were basically the same motor as the 4.9, with slightly less power. Before 1990 they were TBI, made less power, and the older ones were problematic. Go with the 4.9 - the motors require an identical process to swap in, so why not reap the benefits of slightly higher displacement and horsepower?

PM me about that intake!
Adam

87SEV6Reborn05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87SEV6Reborn05Send a Private Message to 87SEV6Reborn05Direct Link to This Post
2-tone: OK so I'll need to get that stuff now before I start taking the engine out! Did you manage to keep the Cadilalc 4.9 badging on top of the air filter and components? Engine looks good, any pics in the car?
anybody have these just sitting around in a parts car?
need a ECM bracket and gas peadle cable from a 4cyl car (87 or 88 only). a thermostat neck from a 4cyl fiero

Wipeout: Oh man if it was an Allante I would have snagged it by now :O)
I'll run down and check it out here in a few. Think it's an Eldo or Seville, can't remember, it was a little cold this morning when I was checking out the door for the year.

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
to make things easeyier see if ya can get john rockcrawl to reprogram your chip for ya . makes wireing easeyier and you will have more power, no speed limiter,or rev limiter. here is a pic of the hardest part.

------------------

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post

2-tone

592 posts
Member since Jan 2002

this is how shee looks now

------------------

PFF
System Bot
87SEV6Reborn05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87SEV6Reborn05Send a Private Message to 87SEV6Reborn05Direct Link to This Post
2tone: Looks like my center console right now. Installing 03 Firebird door panels and taking the power window wiring out to the doors. Little more wiring in your pic due to the ECM wiring. Nice looking the way that engine sits down in there..... Can't wait. Ok I'lk be looking for Rockcrawl when I get ready to do that and Bubbajoe on the engine mounts.
Hmmm well I have to figure out how to post some pics here and I'll show you what I have to work with.
2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
rockcrawl's site www.fieroaddiction.com has wire pinouts and a lot of info.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock