Started on: 12-31-2005 08:10 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 01-05-2006 01:26 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
One of my projects I'm planning this winter is to create a cold air intake for my 4.9. My only issue is I have the Allante intake which has an oval throttle body. I need to know what others have done to adapt some 3" intake tube to the Allante (or SBC) oval throttle body? I want to end up with my air filter down near the factory intake vent. Here's a picture of my current setup I want to replace:

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
86 GT: Stock 4 speed
86 SE: 3.4 DOHC 4 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Measure the area of the throttle body, let's say it is 3", then take a mandrel bent piece of 3" pipe, put it in a vie and clamp it down until it roughly matches the throttle body. Then take a 3" coupler and couple them. Pretty simple, but you will need to weld the pipe at its joints to get it down in the fender.

------------------

"all pushrod motor are better than the dohc because it has less rotational mass"
-rick17, MyMonte member, owner of a 3100 Monte Carlo LS

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I would check out what is used on the LT1/LS1 series of motors as they also have an oval throttle body. Maybe something for those can be made to work. Also don't forget about the Mustang and other cars that may have an oval throttle body.

Tim

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2006 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
The LT1 throttle body may be a bit too big, and the LS1 throttle bodies aren't oval, they are circular.

It isn't that hard to just get the area of that ellipse (I forget the formula off hand), then find out what radius curcle will need to be to have the same area, then get a mandrel bent piece on eBay and put it in a vice. It is simple, easy, and would look great!

paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Question for you. When you went to the Allente intake, did you use the stock Allente TB and if so, were any other mods needed to do it other than the manifold?

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by paulcal:

Question for you. When you went to the Allente intake, did you use the stock Allente TB and if so, were any other mods needed to do it other than the manifold?

I did use the Allante TB. You have to lengthen the wires for the TP and intake temp sensors. Other than that everything is a direct bolt on.

STRATOHACKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKERDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I did use the Allante TB. You have to lengthen the wires for the TP and intake temp sensors. Other than that everything is a direct bolt on.

I had a question regarding this as well. Were you able to retain the ecu that were using with the old intake or did you have to switch to the Allante intake. I am guessing you were able to retain the previous ecu if all you had to do was lengthen a few wires.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by STRATOHACKER:

I had a question regarding this as well. Were you able to retain the ecu that were using with the old intake or did you have to switch to the Allante intake. I am guessing you were able to retain the previous ecu if all you had to do was lengthen a few wires.

I am still useing the ecu from the 4.9. There were no modifications needed for the intake, just some lenghened wires.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
The way I did my Allante Intake to make it a cold air system was to us the V6 system and modify it. I removed the neck that the rubber intake hose hooked to and welded a piece of 3" tubing to it I got a mandrel bent 3" tube and cut it to fit to the inlet side of the filter box tis piece sticks out into the area in the wheel well were the old water seperator was. I removed the seperator as I had installed side scoops on my 88. I used a air intake hose from a Chevy S10 and fiber glassed it to my driver side scoop. The hose hooks right on to the 3" pipe from the air box. I had the pieces all powder coated red and run a K&N filter in the box.

Buy the way I run my oil cooler in the other scoop. So both are functional

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE 2.8 - beater coupe-
86 SE 3.4 -in progress 3800 II SC -
88 Formula GT 4.9 5 speed beast
Enough parts outside for another one
-And a 3.4 push rod for sale in the mall Go and look-

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2144 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Tried to get a better picture of my setup that is bigger. Hope this one is better.

Joe Sokol

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

Tried to get a better picture of my setup that is bigger. Hope this one is better.

Joe Sokol

Looks good! Thanks!

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone dyno'ed a stock 4.9 with an Allante intake? I'd be interested to see how much it helps. Sure does look good, though.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Hey now Fieromaster, you can't have that 4.9 looking better than your DOHC car all the time! Give the other one some lovin'!

TPI, LT1 had oval throttle bodies. All the sensors shooulllddd be compatible if the 4.9 sensors are like the ones on the 3.4 and whatnot.

That box on the right side of the intake plenum... is that a MAP sensor cover?! That looks trick!

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 01-02-2006).]

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2006 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:TPI, LT1, LS1 had oval throttle bodies.

All of the LSX series had round throttle bodies, measuring 4" OD, and they are all pretty much the same except for teh actuation device and the size. LS1 75mm cable draw throttle body on my old 3.4:

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by AaronZ34 (edited 01-02-2006).]

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

As I said before, none of the LSX series small blocks have/had oval throttle bodies, they ALL have round ones, including the LS1 75mm unit whether it be cable or not.

What? I never said anything about that!

Thanks for keeping me in line.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
F BODY
85 to 92 TPI ovel
93 to 97 LT1/LT4 ovel
98 to -- LS1 ovel
also the s-15 typhoon and syclone used Ovel

I'm with aaron on making an adaptor however fieroking's set up using the factory rubber adaptor should work almost as good. If you want an adaptor that doesn't have that little bend in it get one from an 85 to 92 TPI camero, or for a 90* version get one from an 85 to 92 TPI firebird. You can get them from year one for around 20 bucks, they also offer a few diffrent high flow versions last time I checked.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post

markviiisvt4

726 posts
Member since Jun 2005
or I could whip you up one of these that i'm workin on for the 4.9
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by markviiisvt4:
98 to -- LS1 ovel

ALL LS1's had circular throttle bodies, not oval, and they are the same as the LS2, LS6, LS7, etc except in plate size and actuation device. But they are all round. A 1998 LS1 75mm cable draw on my 3.4, again...I'm not trying to be an assm just trying to clear up misinformation.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Has anyone dyno'ed a stock 4.9 with an Allante intake? I'd be interested to see how much it helps. Sure does look good, though.

I have this planned for spring. baseline (alomost stock Rockcrawl chip) then add the intake and take another pull. then take it over to james and let him Port/Polish and Delta Cam it then Pull again..

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I ran my setup on a dyno last summer to see what it was putting out. The best that I could get from it was 198 Hp and 298 Foot pounds. When we went to the track with it my son ran a 14 sec flat at 99.8 mph in the quarter mile. I am still trying to figure out why the car is running rich, I read a thread here on the forum about the effects that after market O2 sensors have on performance and plan on replacing mine with a genuine GM O2 sensor to see if it has any effect. Will post results when I get them.

Joe Sokol

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by markviiisvt4:

or I could whip you up one of these that i'm workin on for the 4.9

That looks awesome! I would defenatly be interested in something like that.

I'm hopeing to get my car on the dyno sometime within the next month. I have a friend that works at the local College where they have a dyno. Trying to work something out right now.

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

That box on the right side of the intake plenum... is that a MAP sensor cover?! That looks trick!

Yes it is. I like it. Hides the MAP sensor pretty good.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is what you need:

It's on Ebay for $10 and the seller is a good guy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8026935325&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2006 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Yes it is. I like it. Hides the MAP sensor pretty good.

Where do you get one? Did it come stock on the Allante?

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Where do you get one? Did it come stock on the Allante?

Yes, it came stock on the Allante.

Modat5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2006 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Modat5Send a Private Message to Modat5Direct Link to This Post
Hey I've got a 4.9, and would like to know exactly what's needed off the Allante engine to use the Allante's intake?

Do you need both the Upper and Lower Allante Intake manifolds? Or just the Upper?

Thanks,

Matt
88gt
88formula(4.9 project)
88coupe(parts)
Dayton, OH

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Modat5:

Hey I've got a 4.9, and would like to know exactly what's needed off the Allante engine to use the Allante's intake?

Do you need both the Upper and Lower Allante Intake manifolds? Or just the Upper?

Thanks,

Matt
88gt
88formula(4.9 project)
88coupe(parts)
Dayton, OH

You need both the lower and upper intake manifolds. You will also need the fuel rail. If you have a complete Allante engine to get parts from you should get the rocker arm supports since they are steel. They are aluminum on the 4.9.

Modat5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2006 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Modat5Send a Private Message to Modat5Direct Link to This Post
Thanks FieroMaster88!

That's exactly what I need to know.
Thanks again,

Matt
88gt
88formula(4.9 project)
88coupe(parts)
Dayton, OH

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Modat5:

Thanks FieroMaster88!

That's exactly what I need to know.
Thanks again,

Matt
88gt
88formula(4.9 project)
88coupe(parts)
Dayton, OH

No Problem.

All times are ET (US)