Started on: 12-31-2005 03:15 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 02-05-2006 03:38 PM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
This is for you all that don't get enough throw to get the clutch to disengage. After you have tried everything else. Sorry no pics.

For V6 5 Speeds.

Get a 4cyl 5sp slave. It has two studs in it, knock them out and it will bolt right up. The pushrod is a different length, so use the pushrod from the V6 slave BUT put in two nuts that are 1/4 inch wide so you get another 1/2 inch, in the slave hole, then the pushrod against the nuts. This will make the slave sit back just as far the the V6 one but will give more throw, as the 4cyl one is a smaller diameter bore. See below.
..................|
XXXXXXXXXX|x
XXXXXXXXXX|x XX---------
XXXXXXXXXX|x ^ ........ ^
....SLAVE......|. NUTS...PUSHROD

The 4cyl slave is even cheaper too.

I tried EVERYTHING lots of different V6 masters and slaves, bleed it 50 billion times, 50 billion diferent ways. Perfectly straight steel clutch pedal, bushings not worn, etc.
This works so great, I'll never go back.

ENJOY

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 12-31-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Yep - been doing that for a few years now.

Word of warning though (and the jury is still out on this!) - it's possible that it's causing the release fork fingers to over extend, and break the tips off (this is on a 4spd car). One guy had now creamed (3?) of them. Granted one was an original, one was a used replacement - maybe it was just 'there time'. But that's why I say the jury is out as to who's the guilty party!

It does work like a hot damn though.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I knew that would come up. But if you can't get enough anyway..... It's why I said tried everything else.....
drive my car or worry and not drive it....hmmmm not a hard choice

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Heh... don't get me wrong! I'm not saying to not do it. That'd be rather hypocritical of me considering how many cars I've done it on.

If I can't get enough throw, the first thing I throw at it is a Fiero Store clutch pedal though. It took my first 350 swap car from being almost undriveable to shifting like a hot knife in warm butter. No other changes. Customer was ecstatic!

Now if THAT doesn't do it - I toss an SC37795 (13/16" ID slave) at it (the one you're referring to).

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
When I couldn't get enough throw I used the Isuzu slave too. When I took the motor off the tranny later I found out my pressure plate was sitting crooked because half the bolts had partially backed out.. so it needed twice as much travel to disengage.
Might want to pop off the flywheel inspection cover and see if the bolts are sticking out the backside of the flywheel at different distances.. then you'll know if thats what happened.
This also happened to Russ on his Northstar..
Delphince

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelphinceSend a Private Message to DelphinceDirect Link to This Post
I solved the problem by going to the hardware store and buying an extended-length drill bit used for running electrical cable. Took it to the grinder to get the shaft length I wanted, honed the ends down smooth, and presto. New pushrod about 1.5 inches longer than stock.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
bump.......because I'm having this problem.

So alot of you guys seem to swear by this method, and it sure is intriguing considering this slave is $40 cheaper than the 6-cyl model, but my question is.....will I really need to worry about bent forks? I know you said that it's still being debated, but how long have some of you guys been running this setup without any problems? Will it last me a year, because I'm sure by then I'll have to pull the motor to change my clutch anyways. Any help appreciated!

:edit:
Another question not worthy of a new post.....
I had a shtty CRX intake filter on my car and this past weekend when I removed the wheel and wheel well cover, I found the filter lying down on the frame, with the lonesome CAI filterless with only the rubber neck from the filter. I don't drive it too often, but could this have done very much damage? Anything to be concerned of? Thanks again

-Ryan

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 02-02-2006).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
If you are worried about bent fingers, you can put a wood block under the pedal, to act as a stop and limiting the travel.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2006 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
^^Sarcasm?? Or just so simple and effective that I didnt think of it........hmm....

Thanks!

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
After a month of use/testing....It works great. No second thoughts about it.
Hope this will help those of you ready to kill your car over the clutch.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

PFF
System Bot
Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, I've never had/heard of this problem, what's causing it? Bad aftermarket clutches?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf:
Interesting, I've never had/heard of this problem, what's causing it? Bad aftermarket clutches?

From what I can gather...
Bent pedals. Shot hydraulics. Poor quality replacement hydraulics. PITA bleeding procedure.
Or any combination of the above.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Praise the Lowered!
Read Nealz Nuze!

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
My pedal is perfectly straight, My pedal bushings are good, I have tried many different masters and slaves, bleed it every different way (BTW the one man bleed method by GM works great) My pedal sits 1 inch above the brake, everything looks good. This is the only way I could get more throw.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

For V6 5 Speeds...Get a 4cyl 5sp slave.

I've heard of this before, but wondered if it was for real.
I'm gathering bits and pieces for a Getrag swap and haven't been looking forward to the dreaded hydraulic issue. Thanks!

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
buy an adjustable rod from Rodney Dickman about 15.00$ BANJO BOLT
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
An adjustable rod would NOT have fixed the problem. My pedal sit exactly where it should. An adjustable rod, if it would work, would make the pedal travel even longer. I get full travel on my pedal and I would not want a longer pedal travel, longer shifts, slower car. What I have shown above works perfectly.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 02-05-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave