Started on: 12-30-2005 05:22 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: fastblack on 01-01-2006 09:57 PM
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
i decided that i can hopefully handle painting my car myself but this would be the first time for me. i've seen the process done plenty of times and even helped somewhat but if somebody could give me some tips or an informational website that would be great. also, where can i pick up paint and supplies?? my neighbor is willing to let me use his spray gun but do i just get the rest at an auto parts store or what? any help would be appreciated.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT (under construction...donate today)
2001 Grand Am GT (new addition)
1998 Dodge Neon R/T (who can forget that P.O.S.)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1moonmanscott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1moonmanscottSend a Private Message to 1moonmanscottDirect Link to This Post
Are you using Krylon or Rustoleum? Just kidding good luck on your paint job.

Scott

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
EightBall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EightBallSend a Private Message to EightBallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

i decided that i can hopefully handle painting my car myself but this would be the first time for me. i've seen the process done plenty of times and even helped somewhat but if somebody could give me some tips or an informational website that would be great. also, where can i pick up paint and supplies?? my neighbor is willing to let me use his spray gun but do i just get the rest at an auto parts store or what? any help would be appreciated.

Prep work is 90% of a paint job, if you dont have a smooth clean surface before spraying then your gonna have a hell of a time making it look nice, and dont dump all the paint on at once or you will get runs, you have to do many light coats and be patient

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
There are plenty of good threads on painting and quite a few knowledgeable guys on the forum. Try the search function while your waiting on one of the experts to respond.
My experience is limited to a about a half year of paint and body at the local tech school but it was more of a party experience than actual learning! LOL

The only advise I will give is make sure your surface is prepped and cleaned properly and your environment where you are spraying is as clean and free of any dust/contaminants as possible!

Preperation of the surface to be painted is the key to a good paint job, any flaws in the surface will become magnified 10 fold.

------------------
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me.

fiero newbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero newbeSend a Private Message to fiero newbeDirect Link to This Post
You can pick up you paint and supplies at a local automotive paint shop,and as for painting you should get a test panel and practice on it to get the hang of the spray gun.Good luck on you paint job.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by EightBall:

Prep work is 90% of a paint job, if you dont have a smooth clean surface before spraying then your gonna have a hell of a time making it look nice, and dont dump all the paint on at once or you will get runs, you have to do many light coats and be patient

I second that.
If your buddy has one of the new spray guns, I forget what its called. The one with the bottle on top you will use half as much paint, at least thats what my buddies that paint have told me. Less over spray too.
edit; Gravity Feed spray gun. Also make sure you blead air lines of all water and use a water seperating filter on ure airline just before the gun, water can give you fish eyes real bad.
------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesnt.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-30-2005).]

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

There are quite a few threads on body prep and paint work, and there are many questions to be asked. First, do you have a good clean and warm place to do the work, and second do you have the tools necessary to do the work? Since you live in Riceville, I'm going to assume that the easiest place to get paint and supplies is going to be your NAPA store. Hopefully they will be able to supply you paint. Check with them and see if you can get paint through them and what kind of knowledge these guys have for you to tap into. Along with getting paint, they will be able to get you your sandpaper and primer and masking paper and tackcloths and all-that-other-stuff that you need. They also will have access to all of the info sheets regarding the paint and how to use it ( mixing and stuff ), plus if the guys know how to paint, they'll help out in the information side. Plus, we're here on Pennock's. Tools: compressor, sander ( dual-action orbital ( D/A ) ), HVLP spray gun ( yes, use and HVLP....you'll end up spending less on paint ), blow gun.

Are you going to take the car apart? Some painters, including myself, will remove all of the body panels except for the rear clip and roof section. Some painters don't. Something to think about. Lots of work, but I feel it's easier to pull it apart and paint than it is to mask off the car, plus you can paint everything including edges. Nicer for color changes. Whatever you decide is right.....

What color? Some colors need to be sprayed with the car assembled. The paint supply guys can tell you about that.

What condition is the body in? Do you need to remove all the paint for can you just scuff and shoot? Check out the prep threads and you should find your answers there. Again, if you don't, we can go through all of that with you. It's a lot of typing, but we want you to do this right. I applaude you for trying to paint your own car and we all want you to be happy with the results.

Good luck and let us know how we can help, plus drop us a few pics.

Mark the paint guy

------------------

yosemitefieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yosemitefierosSend a Private Message to yosemitefierosDirect Link to This Post
Mark gave you good advice. I do custom and classic car painting. I paint all of my own hotrods and restorations. Just some points from my experience:

Fieros have a plastic polymer body. You have to eliminate any oil or wax on the body completely with an appropriate cleaning product. Remove all trim, sail panels, and the rear lights. It is easier to rough up the plastic with 400grit sandpaper and then primer it than to try to sand it all smooth first. Go to your local automotive paint store and get high quality automotive paint. Be prepared to spend around $250-$400 because you have to buy reducer, color coat paint, clear coat, extenders, hardeners, paint filters, mixing buckets, inline water filters, tacky cloth, wet sand paper, gun cleaning solvent, and paint thinner for wash up. You can even use a sealer (a kind of paint product that increases adhesion of the color coat) after priming. Sealers come in colors and those colors can sometimes affect the perception of the color coat. Use a bright sealer under a light color.

I have used most every type of paint, and have stopped experimentation and only use DuPont paint now. It is very high quality, sprays well, covers well, is difficult to screw up and easy to overpaint more coats without orange peel. It has a high gloss and lasts a long time. It is a little more expensive but is well worth it. For example, I painted a 3D flame nose on a 1950 chevy. I used DuPont Chrome Illusion absolute purpleen prism, multicolor paint for a 9 color set of flames, and then covered it with 8 layers of DuPont clear coat. It looks absolutely fantastic. With each coats flashing (setting from liquid to solid) you can immediately spray the next coat.

If you are going to paint, have a really good air source with excellent water traps. I run three; one on the end of my spray gun that is disposable.

Don't ever spray primer through an expensive spraygun. Use an old gun for primer that still works well as the powder in primer is abrasive to the tip. I always use high build primer as the extra powder in the paint gives you a lot to sand down for a smoother prime.

You can spend a lot on a paint gun, but I have found that the best Harbor tool freight gravity gun is excellent for painting.

Dont buy cheap sand paper. Use the good stuff and clean it as you work with it as to unload the abrasive surfaces to continue its ability to sand. I buy 220, wet 400, wet 800, wet 1000, wet 1500 and wet 2000 grit paper.

Don't buy cheap masking tape. Also, get the stickiest you can find. The blue stuff will fall off and not stick well enough so you end up using more of it. Buy masking rolls of paper and use it intead of crummy newspapers. Your quality masking off IS the paint job. Concentrate as much as possible on masking as good as you can. I take three times as much time masking as I do painting.

Read up on painting technique. You have to know your gun, its adjustments and how much distance to overlap each stroke. I paint from the top down so I don't lean into any fresh paint accidently. Make sure you keep the gun straight toward the surface. Don't move the gun in a pendulum motion... just move your body so the gun smoothly moves across the surface. It is a very athletic activity, painting a car. I sometimes will completely wear myself out painting, and it gets tougher as you get lower on the vehicle. Keeping the gun straight and moving with a fluid motion is key to not running the paint.

I use 50% overpaint. I only move the next row of paint down 1/2 of the distance of the spray pattern. This fills a lot so you have to notice and be careful not to run your paint. In fact I err on the side of too little paint with each run and then paint more runs of paint after flashing. This ensures that I don't have to chase paint runs down with wet sanding later. The last paint job I did was a 1948 Chevy truck two-tone and it had no runs, drips or errors because of this gradual style.

Two stage paint is a color coat and then a clear coat. It is problem free. If you screw up the color, you can wet sand it and then spot paint the bad spot. If you screw up the clear coat you can wet sand it and then buff it to high gloss. Bug parts, hairs, and other stupid little stuff are left in the paint until it has hardened and then removed through wet sanding. If you have a bug land in the wet paint you can try to immediately lift it with a pointed toothpick. If you have a well lit paint booth you own or can rent it is great. I have painted in booths with great lighting and also in the outdoors. You can paint a car outdoors quite well on a nonwindy warm day although realize that bright paint attracts small bugs. The bright light outdoors is actually an advantage over a poorly lit indoor booth. Always wear breathing protection when painting even if outdoors.

When finished painting remove the masking tape holding down the masking paper carefully. If the paint is still tacky it may pull up so pull off tape straight up or away from the painted area. Some techniques like 3D flames use this to advantage and the painter uses a razor to cut the paint at the edge of the tape before it is removed. This is an advanced technique, but 3D flames are really cool.

Be sure to completely clean up your gun and wash out all of your buckets so you don't have to rebuy them.

Once you paint your first car, you will realize that you can do a better job than most shops that charge 20 times the cost of your paint. You will love the results and your friends will all want to hire you to do their cars too.

Gary

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
wow, thanks for all the great info. +'s all around! i plan on painting the car gun metal grey and i have a friend doing pinstriping in harley davidson orange. i'm thinking that it should turn out really nice. this is going to be a learning experience for sure but i think that i will really enjoy it. thanks again for all the help!!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT (under construction...donate today)
2001 Grand Am GT (new addition)
1998 Dodge Neon R/T (who can forget that P.O.S.)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock