Started on: 12-29-2005 05:05 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: AaronZ34 on 12-30-2005 12:45 PM
AaronZ34

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
So I broke down today and spent the $117 for SpeedHut gauges.

They include a 180mph speedo using the KPH scale with MPH printed, 8,000rpm tach, black with red writing and red reverse illumination. There is the Fiero logo on the speedo as well.

This is the perfect option for those of who who don't want to deal with the price and complexity of Autometer, and want to read higher RPM and MPH. The cost was normal, plus $10 for the KPH, and $5 for the logo. Not bad at all, and they didn't charge me for the RPM extension. This is especially good for those of us with DOHC swaps, or TPI's that made 450hp at 9800rpm...hehe j/k

I really like my interior now. When I first got the car, I almost considered a dash swap before the engine swap. But with the MP3 player, dash overlays, short shifter (Soon), and these gauges, I really think I will be leaving it alone for a while, as I really like it how it is.

As for the install. They are not perfect, but not bad. The edges where the wires come out from the overlay are in a bad spot on a couple of them, but you can carefully bend them and they will still work. I'll take more pics next time it is apart.

1) Remove all dot matrix pieces
2) Remove the Hvac controller, GT aux gauges, and the dash cluster
3) Remove the needles. Steven gave me the great advice of using 2 spoons to do this, worked great! Remember to either mark where your needles were pointing or have some other way to replace them, I got mine off and had to tear it all apart to redo them.
4) Use a knife, screwdriver, or razor blade to cut off the factory overlays--they are glued on.
5) Place the Speedhut ones on, use the provided double stick tape, though I only needed it on the cluster guages, the rest were held in firmly.
5) Run the wiring through the holes in the cluster, and basically out of site. Each overlay just plugs into another inline, and they all go to the controller, which I covered with the lower plastic cover that covers the steering shaft as well.
6) Make sure they work
7) Reinstall everything and have fun!

------------------

"all pushrod motor are better than the dohc because it has less rotational mass"
-rick17, MyMonte member, owner of a 3100 Monte Carlo LS

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Pics of the guages how they first come:

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

AaronZ34

2322 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Here are some daytime pictures with the car off, those this is how it looks in the day just driving around. It has to be night for me to get nighttime pics, so I will get them tonight when it is nighttime.

You can clearly see the overlays. The center one on the radio is the only one that bubbled, and it doesn't look very good. I am going to apply heat, and then cut the climax of the bubbles and overlay the two sides to get them to lay flat, with an adhesive of course. It won't look perfect, but better than the bubbles. I am emailing every online vendor I can, I am trying to buy just the center piece, but no luck so far. Plus I need it custom cut with no radio hole. Hopefully I find one, and if all else fails I will buy another kit.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2005 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

AaronZ34

2322 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Well I got the nighttime pics, but they suck. I turned the flash off, but for some reason they came out badly. I did forget the nighttime setting, maybe that will help...lol

[This message has been edited by AaronZ34 (edited 12-29-2005).]

t76racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t76racerSend a Private Message to t76racerDirect Link to This Post
Aaron, Those look really cool! Are they more red than the stock ones? They are obviously brighter too? Do they do custom logos?

Good job!
Travis

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2005 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
Yah they are a much brighter red compared the the stock orange. They are a bit brighter, but not annoyingly so. It is a more even lighting for sure. They do do custom logos, I had them do the FIero one for me, logos are $5, but well worth it.

I am really happy, they do not look ricey at all, they look factory, but good.

FocusRush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FocusRushClick Here to visit FocusRush's HomePageSend a Private Message to FocusRushDirect Link to This Post
I think that looks great! I'm very impressed with speedhut since they included the aux gauges and the HVAC surround.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
On the Aux. guages, where the warning idiot lights are, i can see the bulbs back behind the face. Is it suppost to be like that? For that higher MPH speedo to be accurate, you have to change out the crystal correct? Where did you get the different crystal from?
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2005 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

On the Aux. guages, where the warning idiot lights are, i can see the bulbs back behind the face. Is it suppost to be like that?

I just noticed that too. I think those overlays are maybe supposed to come off of the stock face and he forgot to put them on? Otherwise Speedhut goofed...

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2005 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

On the Aux. guages, where the warning idiot lights are, i can see the bulbs back behind the face. Is it suppost to be like that? For that higher MPH speedo to be accurate, you have to change out the crystal correct? Where did you get the different crystal from?

I do need a different crystal, but have yet to determine which one. For now it reads abot 2/3 the speed, ie 90 indicated is really 60.

As for the idiot lights, you may be right, I may have had to transfer the colored overlay. But I think I saw it light up yesterday and it was red...So I am not sure, it doesn't really bother me since from the angle you can't see through it and it doesn't look tacky at all.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock