Setting ignition timing? by RhinoDj
Started on: 12-21-2005 07:35 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 3800superfast on 03-01-2006 10:35 AM
RhinoDj

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RhinoDjSend a Private Message to RhinoDjDirect Link to This Post
Is there anywhere I can find an idiots guide to setting ignition timing...i pulled the distributor after having lots of problems with it. I have ordered a new one from the Fiero Store, but I dont know how to reseat the distributor properly and set the correct timing. Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ka4nkf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
I would make sure the piston is on top dead center on number one cylinder. ( both valves closed, compression stroke) Put the distributor in place with the rotor pointing to number one on the cap. That should get you started and then you can fine tune the timing. When setting the timing make sure you connect the two pins together in the aldl connector, then set to 10 degrees ahead. I am talking about a V-6.

[This message has been edited by ka4nkf (edited 12-21-2005).]

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet is to pick up a Haynes manual at your local auto parts store, it's not the greatest manual but it does show how to do the basics i.e. timing
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2005 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I wrote this in another thread:

just turn the crank by hand/wrench until you feel pressure coming out the number one plug hole, then continue turning the crank no more than 1/2 turn until the timing mark on the harmonic balancer is aligned with the 10° mark on the timing tab. At this point the crank/piston/cam timing should be set correctly.

Then, turn the distributor until the poles on the two star wheels are aligned exactly. Then, whatever pole on the distributor cap the rotor is under, this is now the number one cylinder firing position. Run the number one plug to this pole. The remaining cylinders should be connected in the normal firing order, 1-2-3-4-5-6 clockwise.

At this point it should fire. If not, look at the MAP sensor wiring and vacuum tubing to make sure there's no breaks.

Some threads of interest:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-060933.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063564.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-059345.html

JazzMan

Terrible Tom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2005 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Terrible TomSend a Private Message to Terrible TomDirect Link to This Post
Just a few additional notes on timing. First, the aldl connector is behind the cigar lighter panel (it took me an hour to find it). I believe the two connectors to be bridged are on the top row right hand side (facing the connector, or rear of the car). I used a paper clip. Second, there should be a sticker on the lid over the engine that gives the correct timing degrees. My 86 SE 2.8 happens to be a "California car" and the timing is 8 degrees instead of 10 degrees.

Tom

RhinoDj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RhinoDjSend a Private Message to RhinoDjDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help guys...Im going to attempt this tomorrow (Feb 27)...ive been putting it off for far too long assuming that it is difficult to do...but from what ive been told and have read...its not hard at all...ive got fusable link wire too for my other problem...I do also have some other questions...when you mention "fine tuning" the timing, do i HAVE to do this? If the correct timing for the car is 10 deg, what reasons would I have to adjust the timing further? Age/Condition of engine make a huge difference? Also, when you mention the moving of the distributor, does the thing just twist in the shaft while the motor is running to advance or retard the timing? If i remember correctly, when i removed the old distributor it didnt seem to move much, if at all, in either clockwise or counterclockwise direction. I got a timing light to measure correctly and see if everything is running properly as well. Again, thanks guys...Ill let you know how it goes.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2006 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
timing should always be set to the stock point for a start. 10 degrees is good. you must jumper those 2 pins as was said earlier.
the distributor is held in place with a pressure type clamp at the base. if you look down to where the shaft goes thru the manifold, you will see a c shaped clamp (sorta) with a single bolt thru it. that will loosen the distributor. but you should know about that since you pulled the distributor out!
Now for some things to make your life a little easier, since it isn't firing at all:
the damper on the crankshaft in stock form has 3 lines in it. you use the one with the widest notch. after determining the right one, fill the line with some whiteout or just fill it with chalk and wipe the outer edge off so it is a nice white line, makes it much easier to see.
Next try to get it close statically. pretty easy wiht a helper.... pull the coil wire off. pull the #1 cylinder sparkplug.
put finger over/in hole have assistant just crank the motor in little clicks. when you feel the pressure building up, watch for the marked line on the damper, and get it to the big notch all the way to the right (looking at it from the front)(it's actually almost behind the edge of the water pump pulley) on the timing plate just above the dampener. . that is 0 degrees, tdc for cylinder1. it may take a few tries to get your procedure right, but it's not hard. if you over shoot a little, you can usually stop, wait a minute, and turn the crank back with a wrench, or even by hand a touch. depends on your reach, and hand strength there.
Ok back on, that is 0 degrees, tdc for cylinder1.
install the distibutor, start with the rotor on it pointing about where the #1 plug wire would be if the cap was on. the shaft will rotate as it goes down and mates with the drivegear, I can;t remember which way tho...
be sure the distributor flange is flush with the manifold, if it is not, then you likely are not lined up with the oilpump drive shaft. turn the pump shaft slighly one way and retry. it's a hex shaft (use a 10mm socket on an extension to reach down and turn it),so it doesn;t take much... sometimes you do have to give it a little push to get it all the way down.

If you do that static setup, it should start up and run (remember to put the #1 sparkplug back in!!!!) and you can hit it with the light and fine tune it by rotating the dist which you left loose after reinstalling.
Tighten the clamp down when done.

Hope that does it for ya!

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 02-27-2006).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The procedure I outlined above will get you in the ballpark, but it will still be off several degrees. You always have to do the final setting using a timing light, there are just too many tolerance/variables to do it any other way.

JazzMan

RhinoDj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2006 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RhinoDjSend a Private Message to RhinoDjDirect Link to This Post
SO....I attempted to do this again today...NO LUCK....I cant see the timing marks on the crank unless im under the car...I dont have a clue where the timing marks on the block are...I cant seem to see anything...The only way I found the crank marks was by jacking the car up and taking the tire off...This whole thing is a huge PITA...Again, I really thank everyone for helping me out...but this is taking forever...I just want to drive my car!
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RhinoDj:

SO....I attempted to do this again today...NO LUCK....I cant see the timing marks on the crank unless im under the car...I dont have a clue where the timing marks on the block are...I cant seem to see anything...The only way I found the crank marks was by jacking the car up and taking the tire off...This whole thing is a huge PITA...Again, I really thank everyone for helping me out...but this is taking forever...I just want to drive my car!

Steve, The timing tab is above the dampner/crank, look down from the top of engine --on battery side, find the dampner from up top, look towards your left a little, above the dampner, it may be dirty, but you will see the timing tab with little notche`s & #`s sticking out. Clean this then mark it with white paint.. Email me if needed or hit the search button on the top of every page on the forum, someone will have a pic of it in the archives, hope this helps some.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock