4.9 pulley question by GT
Started on: 12-11-2005 12:16 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: PBJ on 02-26-2006 06:24 PM
GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
I have one more thing to mount to the front of my engine before I can try fitting belts and that is the pulley that goes to the right of the water pump and above the A/C compressor:

So my question is, since the bolt that holds it on is smaller than the hole in the bearing, how do I attach the pulley without any play? How have you guys done this?

Thanks,
Rick

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 12-11-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Check this old thread from Mickey Moose:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-052483.html

Hope that helps

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

[This message has been edited by jeffndebrus (edited 12-11-2005).]

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001
Mickey_Moose
posted 08-26-2004 11:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used the larger Dayco pt.#89009 pulley and installed a bushing inside of the bearing on the pulley. I couldn't seem the get a belt to fit with the tension I liked with the smaller pulley (seemed to need a 80.25" belt - which does not exist). I made a short standoff to get the spacing right for the belt to align and track (next time I will just machine a standoff with the 'bushing' attached to it).
I also modified (ground the top off slightly) one of the water pump bolts for a bit more clearance with the belt.

Used the Camaro 3.4 tensioner and made up the bracket found here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/052483.html

hope that helps some. Note: you can sort of see the pulley standoff in the first picture at the above link.
Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-26-2004).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I kinda cheated, I still had the caddy tensioner that everyone tosses out. So I used the new pulley, but cut the core guts out the caddy tensioner assemblys pulley. Those worked great for the new core.

As seen in the pic.

------------------
85GT 5spd MSD Everything,4.9 With Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Jeff- Kewl, thanks. I have been using Mickey_Moose's post as my template and I have the Dayco 89009 pulley, I just didn't know I had to bush it. Where does one buy a bushing?

Cap'n- BLAST! And I just hauled that PS pump/tensioner to the dump after having it litter my driveway for almost a year!

-Rick

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to find a correct size bolt that may fit the pulley/thread combo (I have seen bolts with the wider shoulder on them and many different cars - if they fit I have no ideal). You could try a wreckers and look through the different cars for idler bolts.

I used a bushing on mine as I just happened to find one at work that fit. Where it came from I have no ideal, but shoot me an email and I can take measurements off the bushing. Anyplace that rebuilds electric motors 'might' be able to help you out with the bushing (or you could just take the pulley and bolt and see if they can fit something for you). The other option is to find a piece of copper with the correct OD as the ID of the pulley and have it drilled out to the size of the bolt.

The stand off is 15.5 mm high and was made out of some round steel stock, the center hole was drilled out on a lathe. The large washer on the bolt came from an idler pulley off a car at the wreckers (sorry I didn't take notice of the type of car it was).

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
A lot of times the bushings come with the idler. I had all three of my idlers go bad and I went down to the autozone and went through the inventory until I found three that would fit. Some came with bushings and some didn't.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The flat thing with the threads, is what I cut out of the caddy tensioner.

Maybe it will help someone else later on. The bolt is I think a spare 2.8 lower intake bolt. The threaded brass made a great spacer. I used thin washers as alignment spacers get the exact correct spacing for the belt.

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks for all the advice and pictures. That helps a lot. I'll scour the local Home Depot, U-Pull-It yard, and auto parts places.

Do you guys find that the pulley spins on it's own bearings or does the bushing turn on the bolt? I guess the key is to tighten the bolt against the center of the pulley, thereby securing the bushing so it doesn't turn?

-Rick

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 12-11-2005).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The pully spins on its own center bearing.

------------------
85GT 5spd MSD Everything,4.9 With Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2005 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
and now for something different!!
take one of the bolt/studs from the lifting arms and insert it backwards into the bearing
washer and nut hold it centered
try it just might work for you too!!
clynt
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
The bushing I used on mine had to be 'pressed' into the bearing, so it is snug fit - thus the pulley turns on the bearing. I am also running the a/c compressor on mine so my bolt goes through the front side and into the one a/c bracket.

I like Capt's method (without the a/c compressor), nice custom look to finishing off the face of the bearing - I would however grind the top down flat and maybe polish it up a bit

Capt - looks like you got the belt going around the water pump the wrong way in that picture

Originally posted by hellbentkrusty:
take one of the bolt/studs from the lifting arms and insert it backwards into the bearing
washer and nut hold it centered
try it just might work for you too!!
clynt

- I would worry about the pulley slipping on the bolt, I can see the belt pulling the pulley off center. It will work for a little while, but I would not trust this method as a long term solution. You need to fill the hole of the bearing to prevent any side-to-side movement that will occur. There is no way that you can tighten the nut/bolt in such a way that friction alone will hold it in place (unless you friction weld them together, but that will damage the bearing).

Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-12-2005).]

hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyDirect Link to This Post
as far as coming off center ...its a snug fit
been good now for about 4 years
clynt
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2005 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the idea Clynt. Do you have any photos?

I'm wondering if it will work on mine because I am using the A/C compressor and there is a support that goes from the front of the compressor to the back of the screw where we propose to put our pullies. The support is threaded so I don't know if you idea can work with A/C. You can see the support in the second picture I posted in this thread.

-Rick

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 12-12-2005).]

EngineerBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EngineerBillClick Here to visit EngineerBill's HomePageSend a Private Message to EngineerBillDirect Link to This Post
You may have yours completely together now. But for others following this thread, you can buy a bolt that will fit this pulley from a GM dealer. I bought mine for $3.95 and fits perfect. I didn't take a picture of it. Next time I have the 4.9 out, I will pull the bolt and snap a picture (which will be soon as I have to replace my transmission

Here's the info:

17mm bolt for pulley:

GM part number: GM24501175

name: F-bolt/screw

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thanks Bill. I'm going to order one tomorrow. I do have the pulley system together but I'm not really happy with it.

-Rick

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2006 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
This may give you some ideas

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock