Started on: 12-07-2005 11:37 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: chrishahn87 on 12-07-2005 09:34 PM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Are the 1.6 rockers from the Fierostore worth anything? Do they actually give the 2.8L any more power? Or is it one of those things that is not worth the money. I am putting on ported exhaust manifolds, maybe darrel morse's intake and throttle body and thinking about the 1.6 rockers but figured it was a waste of money.

let me know if you guys know. Just trying to do a few little things to my daily driver.

Thanks,

Amir

------------------

1 of 2: Factory Maroon/Gray 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 13.704@98mph, 1.938 60ft)

My CarDomain Site
My Friend Garrod's CarDomain Site

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Contact Jegs.
Order Comp Cams Part# 1414-12.
They're 1.6 roller tipped (not full roller) rockers. They come with the nuts and balls and use the stock Fiero studs. Assembly lube is even included. And best of all, they're under $160. A friend of mine just bought a set.
The changes won't be "earth shattering", but I think they're worth it, especially if you're doing Darrell's TB and plenum, and porting the exhaust manifolds.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Praise the Lowered!
Read Nealz Nuze!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-07-2005).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
1.6's are like putting in a better cam, but not extreme.

I used the conversion studs so that I could adjust them like the SBC's adjust.

Not a waste of money at all. You will want to port your heads to take full advantage of them though

Arn

wsgarner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wsgarnerClick Here to visit wsgarner's HomePageSend a Private Message to wsgarnerDirect Link to This Post
I did the 1.6 rocker thing and did get some improvement, but it's not as good as I had hoped. You should see pritty good improvement with the exhaust mod and Intake mod with 1.6's though.

I did not speend the big bucks for all-out perf. rockers. I went the budget way and got (what I belive to be) some really good rockers from http://www.cnc-motorsports.com . They were all of $63 and some change with shipping. They are SBC 3/8 stud rockers, but I just re-used my balls and nuts from the stuck rockers and everything was fine. I copied the following from my order confermation from CNC:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SKU CNC-0835004
Name SB Chevy Roller Tipped Rockers - 1.6" Ratio 3/8" Studs
Price $ 55.76
Qty 1
Amount $ 55.76
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrap cost: $ 0.00
Subtotal: $ 55.76
Tax: $ 0.00
Shipping: $ 7.95
Total: $ 63.71
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

below is a link to my thread about this here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/068529.html

Good luck,
Scott

[This message has been edited by wsgarner (edited 12-07-2005).]

wsgarner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wsgarnerClick Here to visit wsgarner's HomePageSend a Private Message to wsgarnerDirect Link to This Post

wsgarner

50 posts
Member since Oct 2005
I went to check my cnc link and found that they have up-ed the price to $68 from the $55 I got them for. I got em' about 3 weeks ago!!!

here's a direct link to those rockers on CNC:

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/product.asp?ProdID=14971&CtgID=14968

Scott

lanman31337

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lanman31337Send a Private Message to lanman31337Direct Link to This Post
Did you guys have any slop from the stud to the lifter in the SBC roller rockers? I'm doing this mod on a 2.2 ohv and I have to swap my studs for ones out of a 2.8. I think ours are slightly smaller diameter than a SBC rocker stud.
wsgarner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wsgarnerClick Here to visit wsgarner's HomePageSend a Private Message to wsgarnerDirect Link to This Post
lanman31337,
Actually it's the other way around. When I put the SBC 1.6 rockers in my 2.8 I was curious and checked the new balls (SBC balls) to see why they wouldn't go on the 2.8 studs. SBC studs are normally 3/8 studs and the 2.8 studs are 10mm. 10mm is bigger in diameter than 3/8. That's why the SBC balls wouldn't work. The actual size of the balls fitting into the rocker seems to be the same, so you can use the 10mm balls and nuts on the SBC rockers.

Scott

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The big difference is the threads. The SBC roller tips adjust to not more than 1/2 turn after you initially lose slop, and they will actually run real well with 1/4 turn on valves that are broken in. The Fiero stud needs about a full turn unless you have new lifters and rods.

I found the investment in the SBC conversion studs to be a good one.

Arn

chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
My 2 cents: dont waste money on the Fiero store 1.6 rockers.

It sounds like other people on here gave the same idea that I do - go with a set of sbc rocker arms 1.6 ratio for 3/8" studs. You could get roller TIP rocker arms also (not full roller) they are not expensive, they fit, they work, easy install, and worth the money. ***You have to use the balls and nuts that are on the Fiero's heads.***

While you have it apart, you should seriously consider a new set of performance springs. I did it on my 3.4 and noticed a notable difference especially at higher rpms! I just called Summit Racing and told them the engine and they told me what springs to order, hope this helps!

Chris Hahn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock