Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What rack+pinion will fit in a Fiero (power steering)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What rack+pinion will fit in a Fiero (power steering) by v8fiero400
Started on: 12-05-2005 08:04 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Jim Gregory on 04-27-2006 01:42 AM
v8fiero400

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Just did a 3.1 4t60e swap for a friend. The engine still has the power streeing pump on it....... so I figure why not just run some steel lines to the front and have power steering.

The only problem is that I have to find a suitable power steering rack + pinion that can fit on the fiero.

Anyone know what might fit???

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Mercury Mekur XR4
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
A modified one though... its not a perfect fit, but pretty darn workable
v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info!!!

Has someone done this before???

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Rickady88GT put a SS Camaro rack in his 88GT, and then wondered if a WS6 Trans Am rack would fit also so there was one installed into my 88GT.

Low and behold - they DO!

Final result: While there are those that complain and state that there is no need for power steering, that 2.25 lock to lock is flat out something else. PS is nice being that I have 17x8's w/ a 35mm offset on the front end as well. Single hand turning of a Fiero in a parking lot and while parallel parking - who'd a thunk it?

--Allen

[This message has been edited by mcaanda (edited 12-05-2005).]

JenzGT2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JenzGT2Send a Private Message to JenzGT2Direct Link to This Post
Here is the link to Rick's thread about what he did.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050410-1-044587.html

Jen

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Allen,

I know people were asking about a kit in the other thread. Is Rick even considering that?

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
I used a 97 Z28 camaro rack for my 88 GT, it's quite an easy swap, i got it all done in one evening. It works really well, you lose a little bit of turning radius on an 88 but it will have a slightly tighter turning radius on an 87. The quick ratio is really nice especially for all the slalom racing i do.
markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
don't the fieros share some parts with the chevettes?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

I used a 97 Z28 camaro rack for my 88 GT, it's quite an easy swap, i got it all done in one evening. It works really well, you lose a little bit of turning radius on an 88 but it will have a slightly tighter turning radius on an 87. The quick ratio is really nice especially for all the slalom racing i do.

iv been kinna curiuos about if there was a steering rack that had quicker ratio turning than the fiero (ex 2 turns to fully turn the wheels instead of 3). is this the only one, or was there some other one? maby one without PS? i heard about this way back when i was first getting into fieros, and have been curious since, i figure this is a good post to ask.

sorry to hijack, but i am just kinna curious about this. thanks!

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30,Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.9@99mph as it is on the street

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras, lol.
still need to find the right fiero for this engine.

PFF
System Bot
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
the performance f body steering rack, (the one i used) is 2.25 turns lock to lock as opposed to my original 88 rack which was 3.5 turns. i'm not aware of any faster manual racks but an option to look at if you want to keep it manual would be a steering quickener. they're designed for dirt track racing i believe. i think you can get them in 1.5 and 2:1 ratios
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Allen,
I know people were asking about a kit in the other thread. Is Rick even considering that?

I dont think so TBH. There is quite a bit of work that needs to be done to the front end of the car which would require the front cradel to be at the house for fabrication.

I know that with both of the installs that Rick has done, there is no loss of steering radius at all. Adapters were used & made by the local machine shop that allowed for the stock turning raidus. Otherwise yes, you are going to loose alot of the turning due to the fact that the tierods are longer on the F rack that the P rack.

Rick really would be the one to answer this - as Im not **positive** about specifics.

--Allen

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flames4me:

iv been kinna curiuos about if there was a steering rack that had quicker ratio turning than the fiero (ex 2 turns to fully turn the wheels instead of 3). is this the only one, or was there some other one? maby one without PS? i heard about this way back when i was first getting into fieros, and have been curious since, i figure this is a good post to ask.

sorry to hijack, but i am just kinna curious about this. thanks!

You just cant get a faster ratio steering rack and stay manual. A car driven on a daily basis will NEED power steering if you want faster ratio. The wheels will be to hard to turn at very slow speed for a daily driver. Fighting that steering wheel SUX.

OR you can modify the steering arms on the stock Fiero knuckles like I did. This will give you a faster ratio with out even touching the rack.

Steering ratio is determined by the Rack AND the steering knuckle/arm length. As has been said the stock 88 rack is just over 3 turns lock to lock (closer to 3.5 turns lock to lock) and the LS1 "F" Body racks are 2.25 turns lock to lock (and this can be changed too). The inner tie rod hits the body of the rack as the steering stop, just like the stock 88 Fiero rack. But the "F" body power steering rack has a shorter rack gear inside the rack by about an inch. So the Fiero will loose some turning radius by only putting in the "F" body rack. I had a machine shop fill and re drill a set of knuckles so the steering arms would be shorter than stock. This made up for the less rack travel. BUT now my tires rub before full steering lock. As is I cant turn the steering wheel to full lock or it will rub. So the modified knuckles are not needed. I drove the Fiero with and with out the modified steering arms and I prefer the stock Fiero knuckles. BUT I have wide tires up front with WCF 12" Corvette Brakes that relocate the Brake caliper up and out a bit. So I don't know how the modified knuckles will work on a Stock Fiero. The steering ratio with the modified knuckles is even faster than just the Fast Ratio "F" Body power steering rack. I LOVE the fast ratio power steering in my 88 Fiero and will NEVER go back to manual steering again. ALL my Fiero's from now on will be power steering.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 12-08-2005).]

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2006 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Is the Chevette rack+pinion an easier alternative (I know it doesn't have a a low lock to lock ratio)........ but for an idiot like me....shouldn't it be an easier swap?

(after all the fiero did get its front suspension from the chevette design)
Jim Gregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim GregorySend a Private Message to Jim GregoryDirect Link to This Post
The critical dimension for a substitute rack is the distance between the inner tie rod ends. Both the F-body racks and the Chevette rack will require extensions to be fabricated so that the inner tie rod ends will be moved out to their proper position. Without these extensions you'll totally screw up the geometry of the front end. Measure the length (width??) of the stock rack without the tie rods. As long as the new rack has that same dimension your steering geometry will be unchanged!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock