VSS PPM Conversion question by KlingonFiero
Started on: 11-08-2005 05:57 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: KlingonFiero on 11-10-2005 04:44 PM
KlingonFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi All!

I am trying to install a Fiero speedo into another vehicle (an older Rodeo)
The VSS on the Rodeo is 2000 PPM.

Is there an easy / safe way to convert it to 4000 ppm? The Rodeo ECM ( it has TBI EFI) will, of course, need to see the same 2000 ppm it always has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA !

PS - please do not email me at the e-mail listed here i, i never check it anymore. if needed I can be contacted at: dsm56 at hotmail.com

Or just post here - I will keep an eye on it - thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tom Piantanida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom PiantanidaSend a Private Message to Tom PiantanidaDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

Here is a link to a manufacturer who makes a conversion module. I've used theirs to get my Beretta transaxle to "speak Fiero."

http://www.terf.com

Good luck.

Tom

Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
i thought the fiero was already 2000 ppm?

mike

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike OHIO:

i thought the fiero was already 2000 ppm?

mike

vss on the fiero transaxle puts out 4000 ppm, the speedo, converts it to 2000 for the fiero ecm.

unfortunately the rodeo vss starts out at 2000 ppm

------------------
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

- Robin Williams

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Dakota digital also makes a speedo converter www.dakotadigital.com They make a unit for about $80.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
You need to multiple up so you need something like the Dakota Digital DRAC. It has the PPL circuit to multiple.

Alternately you can try this if you are handy with a solder iron.....

One the speedo cirucit board, cut the trace going to 6 of the CS8524 (this goes on to two other chips), then jumper pin 7 of the CS 8524 chip to the trace cut *from* pin 6. That will jumper around the divide by 2 circuit.

If your chips have the GM part numbers rather than the vendors, the CS8524 chip is an 8 pin chip with pins 4 and 8 going to the connector pins S and U (VSS input).

Now with 2000PPM input from the VSS the speedo will read correctly rather than requiring 4000PPM in and dividing it by 2..... or you will let all of smoke out of the chips.....

Edit: Phil beat me to it!
Edit2: Only pin 7.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-09-2005).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

One the speedo cirucit board, cut the trace going to 6 of the CS8524 (this goes on to two other chips), then jumper pin 7 or 8 of the CS 8524 chip to the trace cut *from* pin 6. That will jumper around the divide by 2 circuit.

If your chips have the GM part numbers rather than the vendors, the CS8524 chip is an 8 pin chip with pins 4 and 8 going to the connector pins S and U (VSS input).

Now with 2000PPM input from the VSS the speedo will read correctly rather than requiring 4000PPM in and dividing it by 2..... or you will let all of smoke out of the chips.....

I've been trying to figure out where on the board the buffered 4000 ppm is...is it pin 6 of the CS8524? You seem to understand pretty well how this board operates. I'm using the 88 board to drive my firebird gauges (has the 4000 ppm output on pin M), but I would like to modify the earlier boards to provide the buffered 4000 ppm as well. Can you help me? Thanks.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
First, note Edit 2 in my post. Only pin 7 is buffered 4000, not pin 8.

On the 8524 pin 7 is buffered 4000 which goes to N on the main connector BUT some people say theirs don't have an N.

Either way, CS8524 pin 7 is buffered 4000 (before the divider) and pin 8 is buffered 2000 (after the divider). Pin 6 is the output of the /2 and it also goes to the buffer for pin 8.

I have a bunch of Fiero 86-88 speedos and they are all the same but there might be other versions so take this for what it's worth. 84-85s might be different.

TK

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-09-2005).]

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
I have been trying to get a speed sensor signal from a Fiero Transmission to my LT1 ECM on and off for nearly two years. Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks

Rick

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

You need to multiple up so you need something like the Dakota Digital DRAC. It has the PPL circuit to multiple.

One the speedo cirucit board, cut the trace going to 6 of the CS8524 (this goes on to two other chips), then jumper pin 7 of the CS 8524 chip to the trace cut *from* pin 6. That will jumper around the divide by 2 circuit.

Edit2: Only pin 7.

Thanks for the link... but I cannot find a "DRAC" ??? The only thing I found was only capble of increasing the ppm from a minimum base of 4000ppm...

I was also hoping to install a HUD in the rodeo and it needs 4000ppm also, so I do not want to change the Fiero speedo - but that is one heck of an idea - I appreciate it.

Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
This is the unit I'm using - call them and ask them if it will work for your needs. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm
PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KlingonFiero:

Thanks for the link... but I cannot find a "DRAC" ??? The only thing I found was only capble of increasing the ppm from a minimum base of 4000ppm...

I was also hoping to install a HUD in the rodeo and it needs 4000ppm also, so I do not want to change the Fiero speedo - but that is one heck of an idea - I appreciate it.

Sorry,"DRAC" is the GM term. Phil gave you the link for the Dakota Digital.

TK

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

This is the unit I'm using - call them and ask them if it will work for your needs. http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=prod uct/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm

No workie... the lowest signal input it registers is 4000ppm. After that It can produce a 2000ppm all the way up to 16kppm.

So, Still need to double the 2000ppm, if it can be done...

Thanks!

Phil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Sure it will work - configure it for a 4000 pulse input and an 8000 pulse output, that would be a input pulse doubler that way 2000 pulses will yield 4000 pulses
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Phil. It should be able to handle 2k input. I can't imagine the PLL can't go that low.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:.

On the 8524 pin 7 is buffered 4000 which goes to N on the main connector BUT some people say theirs don't have an N.

Either way, CS8524 pin 7 is buffered 4000 (before the divider) and pin 8 is buffered 2000 (after the divider). Pin 6 is the output of the /2 and it also goes to the buffer for pin 8

Thanks TK I think I was the one that told you I have never seen a pin N on the speedometer. But I'll look for this pin 7. Your knowledge of this board is amzaing. Thanks again for the help.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2005 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Amazing what happens when boredom sets in.....
Tom Piantanida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2005 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom PiantanidaSend a Private Message to Tom PiantanidaDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

The Terf module that I told you about earlier has both multiply and divide potentiometers, so it can do what you want it to do.

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Piantanida:

Hi,

The Terf module that I told you about earlier has both multiply and divide potentiometers, so it can do what you want it to do.

Hello,
Sorry, I did look at that one and then started looking at the Dakota Digital website. The "Terf" one is almost twice as much and if the Dakota one will work...
I have another email into Dakota and we will see what the response is...
Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock