3.4 L swap completed, impressions by triker
Started on: 10-02-2005 08:59 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: I wear pants on 11-27-2005 07:57 PM
triker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
Have driven my 3.4 pushrod conversion for a couple of days now and wanted to give my impressions. After having heard that you shouldn't expect much over the 2.8 without major mods, I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't consider head and manifold porting, or cleaning up the exaust restrictions, major mods. I did put the sprint headers on it and an Engle cam with specs between the 260 and 272 cams. It also has Comp 1.52 roller tip rockers, a Darrell Morse TB, and I "throated" the upper plenum. That's it, stock bore, stroke and compression. Stock exaust with a cat. It's a rocket! I have new GoodYear Assurance tires on it and, even with an automatic, I have to be careful if I want to keep them stuck to the pavement. I can't imagine what it must be like to drive a Fiero with one of the higher hp conversions. Anyway, anyone considering a 3.4 pushrod conversion but wondering if it's worth it, it is. I don't think I would want my wife driving it if had any more hp. Hope to get it dynoed by the end of the month and will post the numbers.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
If my 2.8 doesn't work out soon, I'll be following in your footsteps! Thanks, this find of takes the pressure of to do a 3800SC..
Regards,
Tom
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Triker,

Wasn't it you who added the extra section to the bottom of the upper plenum inlet pipe, to increase the diameter?
I'm looking forward to seeing your dyno results.

What injectors, chip, fuel pressure regulator are you using?

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm the one, I'm calling it "throating" the stock manifold. I'm using the stock chip and the 17# , 3.4 injectors (cleaned and tested). I did a data scan with the stock chip and the numbers don't look too bad. I'll run them by darthfiero as soon as I get my adjustable fuel reg installed. Anyway, it pulls hard to 6 grand and I'm happy!
Zewerr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZewerrClick Here to visit Zewerr's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZewerrDirect Link to This Post
I'm eager to see dyno numbers too! Keep us informed!

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - 3.4L GM Crate engine
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707857
'91 GMC Syclone - #449
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2067330

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by triker:

Yes, I'm the one, I'm calling it "throating" the stock manifold. ...!

Do you have pictures of that mod?

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
I cut open the neck or "throat of an upper plenum and found that the cross sectional area at the narrowest part is only about 18 square cm's whereas the bored TB has an area of 25 square cm's (stock is 21). So, using a piece of 2" id aluminum tubing, I've increased the neck to about 27 cm's. I have more pictures of the steps but here is a pic of the finished product.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
NICE!

I'm looking forward to the dyno.

Oversteer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OversteerSend a Private Message to OversteerDirect Link to This Post
Did you leave the plates between the runners and upper plenum?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by triker:

I cut open the neck or "throat of an upper plenum and found that the cross sectional area at the narrowest part is only about 18 square cm's whereas the bored TB has an area of 25 square cm's (stock is 21). So, using a piece of 2" id aluminum tubing, I've increased the neck to about 27 cm's. I have more pictures of the steps but here is a pic of the finished product.

You nailed it right on. I have a plenum that I cut out the Fiero logo and I have some access to that area. It is the most pinched section of it. I took some rough measurements of it and came more or less to a 1 1/4" X 2 7/16" at that point for an area of +/- 3.0468 sq-inch. Stock TB measured a diameter of 2 1/16" for an area of 3.3393 sq-inch. That is about 9% restriction. Now for my Darrel bored TB the diameter is 2 3/16 for an area of 3.7563 sq-in. For that one it is about a 19% restriction. I think your idea is just great

triker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trikerSend a Private Message to trikerDirect Link to This Post
It's even more restricted than that if you measure diagonally accross the neck instead of staight across the front of the plenum where it widens out. Anyway, other than porting out the runners where they turn down into the middle manifold (you can remove at least 1/4 inch of the outer radius there) I didn't do anything else to them. They look stock (I did two of them) and I'm happy with them.
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
TTT
JaxDomino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JaxDominoSend a Private Message to JaxDominoDirect Link to This Post
Where are the dyno numbers? :-)

------------------
'87 Fiero GT Fastback Auto.

Dan010

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan010Send a Private Message to Dan010Direct Link to This Post
What size tires you running???
I wear pants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
How do you think the intake mods effected hp in higher rpms? Does it eliminate some of the restriction above 5000rpm?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock