EASY V-6 engine removal out the top! by joeformula88
Started on: 09-22-2005 06:34 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: tesmith66 on 01-09-2006 06:29 AM
joeformula88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joeformula88Click Here to visit joeformula88's HomePageSend a Private Message to joeformula88Direct Link to This Post
I had to take out the engine for the third time (I’m not too lucky with my rebuild...), and while doing it twice by removing the cradle, I decided to take the engine out the top this time.
Why?
First of all I wanted the rest of the car to be mobile.
Second I personally think it’s not all that easy to drop the cradle:
Raising the car with the risks involved. Then there’s the handbrake cable, having to disconnect the brakelines, possible problems with the cradle bolts, stabilizer bar if you have one, exhaust system hangers etc. They all come to mind as extra work.
Third, and this makes all the difference, I had already taken the intake manifold and cylinderheads off. Doing this is very straight forward and easy to do with the engine still in the car. Remember to let off the coolant before you remove the intake manifold. The only additional thing that has to be done is to take the alternator with the bracket off. This way it’s also not necessary to disconnect your wiring inside of the car, which is advisable, but quite a lot of extra work, when you drop the cradle.
So this procedure is most ideal when you need to take off the cilinderheads anyway.
Because once you have done this, the rest is a piece of cake:
Underneath the car remove the starter, drain the oil, remove the bolts of the Y-pipe, loosen the coolant hose on the right hand side of the car and remove the nuts of all the engine/transmissionmounts (6). The transmissionmounts are only loosened up to give you some additional room to play with while removing the engine.
The rest is done from the top:
Take out the Y-pipe and use the bolthole of the starter and of the alternatorbracket to connect your cherry picker (why is it called a cherry picker?) to. Take out the transmission to engine bolts (mine is a 5-speed, anautomatic should be even easier, because you need les room to pull the engine from the transmission) Carefully lift with the assistance of another person, first high enough to clear the engine mount and then sliding of the engine from the transmission. Be extra careful with the rear window, and out she comes!
All I could find in the forum, including the archives is that it IS possible to remove the engine this way, but not only is it A LOT easier to do if you have the heads of, also you do NOT have to remove the pulley as was suggested in one of the threads I found.
Good luck, I hope this gets some follow-up!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, sorry about your troublesome rebuild.
Fiero2M6GT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2M6GT1Send a Private Message to Fiero2M6GT1Direct Link to This Post
I did this yesterday. It was super easy. I had the heads pulled due to trouble shooting i was doing. Lifted the engine no probs at all.
decothom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for decothomSend a Private Message to decothomDirect Link to This Post
O'kay: Good procedure for engine removal topside with heads/manifold removed;let's hear the procedure with the engine still complete--and can someone provide the procedure for auto trans removal ? Thanks ; Dewey
wanobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wanobiSend a Private Message to wanobiDirect Link to This Post
I guess a 4 cyl would be even easier,since there is more room to manuever?
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I have pulled a 88 4 cyl out from the top before w/transmission. (Didn't put it back in though) I have gotten so I can drop a cradle in a couple of hours, I would rather drop it than go out the top. But thats just me. I didn't even use a cherry picker, did I metion a forklift helps.

I have also done a clutch on a 84' duke from the top before too.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!!
http://www.lasvegasfieroclub.com/

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 01-08-2006).]

Custom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom88Send a Private Message to Custom88Direct Link to This Post
thanks for the info I'll have to print this off so when I pull my engine for a rebuild I'll have info to work off of.
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
With the heads off, yea, but last time I tried to take an engine out the top, it took two of us 8 hours, last time I dropped the cradle by myself it took less than 1.5 hours. Needless to say when we went to put that engine back in we dropped the cradle.

------------------
Boost is like Venerial Disease, one night of passion can result in weeks of pain (and work.)
http:\\www.myspace.com\keeptherubbersidedown

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2006 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
First time I pulled the V6 out of my SE I did it out the top. All I did was disconnect the hoses and wires, pulled the axles and yanked the complete angine and transaxle out. I had no idea it wasn't designed to be done this way, I just did it. Wasn't too hard...

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock