2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 block?? by bluefiero
Started on: 11-07-2005 08:29 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Oreif on 11-07-2005 11:40 PM
bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroDirect Link to This Post
A little while back I picked up an 85 GT 4 speed that had been stipped down to the chassis from a friend who works at a body shop. The roof had been cut off because it was going to be used to build a kit car, but then they figured out it wouldnt work right, so I got it for free. The only reason we decided to take it was because it also had the 2.8 V-6 motor in it, and we were goin to do a swap with the 4 cyl we have. We took the block into the machine shop and they called us back and told us that it had a 3.1 crank in it. They also found out that the bore on the block was 3.4. The problem is that they dont know how to tell if the block is a 2.8 bored out to the 3.4, a 3.1 bored out to 3.4, or if it is just a stock 3.4 block. They said they couldnt tell from the casting number. Does anyone know how you would be able to tell the difference between the blocks? Could a 2.8 even be bored out to a 3.4? Thanks, Chuck.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kamikaze7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kamikaze7Send a Private Message to kamikaze7Direct Link to This Post
A 3.4 block will have the starter hole drilled on the back side of the motor. This is the way they came in the 93-95 Camaro's and I believe on the crate engines.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4L pushrod engines have a large "F" stamped on the side. (same crank as 3.1L just a larger bore)
Yes some 2.8L can be bored to a 3.4L but it's not recommended for high performance engines.
The 3.1L is a 2.8L with a different crankshaft and pistons.
It could be a bored 3.1L as well. Not sure how to tell the difference between a 2.8L and a 3.1L block.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock