Started on: 10-20-2005 03:03 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: m0sh_man on 10-24-2005 08:05 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
For the past few months I've seen Honda Coil-over kits seperated and sold as Fiero coil over kits on ebay for $150. Every time I see it I cant believe people bid on it. You can order all the parts and make your own coil over setup for around $100 and it will be done right. This post is basically what I did to my 88. It will work the same on all model years. This is for the rear only. In the front I have lowering springs. Other options for the front are rodney's lowering balljoints, Helds front coil overs or drop spindles.

When I wanted to replace my rear factory cut springs on my 88 coupe I decided I wanted coil-overs. I rembered reading about being able to use Honda coil-overs and not having to cut the perch off of my struts. Sounded good to me. I have plenty of friends who are into Honda's. One of them had an old set of coil-overs from his car that he gave me. It was a kit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-HONDA-ACCORD-JAPAN-JDM-COILOVERS-COIL-OVER-OVERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ8007620660QQrdZ1

I removed my cut factory springs and installed those in their place. The Honda coil-over comes with a tiny 8" spring. I'm not sure what the spring rate is, but it rode like crap. Was really harsh an made a lot of noise. After a few months of driving around with this setup I decided it wasnt working good at all. I needed to remove the spring perch from my struts and get a longer coil over spring. I did a search at www.summitracing.com for coil over springs and came across the QA1 coil-over springs. They come in all kinds of lengths and spring rates. I ordered 3 different sets because I wasnt sure on stiffness and spring heigth. I ordered two pair of 12" springs. One pair was 325lb springs and the other was 350lb springs. The third pair of springs were 10" springs and 350lb. The coil-over springs have a 2.5" ID. Links here: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=QA1+spring&N=0&part=HAL%2D10%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=QA1+spring&N=0&part=HAL%2D12%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch
The 12" springs did not lower the car enough for me. They are good for about 2.5"-3" lower than stock. My car is about 3"-4" lower than stock so I needed the 10" spring.

I removed my struts so I could cut the spring perches for the factory springs off. You have to be careful not to get the struts too hot when removing the spring perches because you can ruin the strut! Once the perch was completely removed I painted over the are where I had cut so it wouldnt rust. Once the paint dry's install the Honda coil over sleve and adjustible perch onto the strut and slide it all the way down to the bottom. Next install your new coil over springs then reinstall your struts on your car. Then reinstall your wheel's and lower the car down. Measure your ride heigth and adjust to where you want it. Keep in mind the springs will settle/sag a small ammount.

After setting my ride height I took the car out for a drive. My ride is 100% better and it's a lot quieter that it was before. It rides really good now. I have about $100 into the rear coil overs now but it's still cheaper than Helds setup and it's the exact same thing. I'll get some pictures of my installed struts and post them up. Keep in mind my car is really low. I have about 1/2"-1/4" wheel gap. The car sits about 2.75" from the ground.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
do you have any room left to raise it back up?
looks sharp btw
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

For the past few months I've seen Honda Coil-over kits seperated and sold as Fiero coil over kits on ebay for $150. Every time I see it I cant believe people bid on it. You can order all the parts and make your own coil over setup for around $100 and it will be done right. This post is basically what I did to my 88. It will work the same on all model years. This is for the rear only. In the front I have lowering springs. Other options for the front are rodney's lowering balljoints, Helds front coil overs or drop spindles.

When I wanted to replace my rear factory cut springs on my 88 coupe I decided I wanted coil-overs. I rembered reading about being able to use Honda coil-overs and not having to cut the perch off of my struts. Sounded good to me. I have plenty of friends who are into Honda's. One of them had an old set of coil-overs from his car that he gave me. It was a kit like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98 -02-HONDA-ACCORD-JAPAN-JDM-COILOVERS-COIL-OVER-OVERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ8007620660QQrdZ1

I removed my cut factory springs and installed those in their place. The Honda coil-over comes with a tiny 8" spring. I'm not sure what the spring rate is, but it rode like crap. Was really harsh an made a lot of noise. After a few months of driving around with this setup I decided it wasnt working good at all. I needed to remove the spring perch from my struts and get a longer coil over spring. I did a search at www.summitracing.com for coil over springs and came across the QA1 coil-over springs. They come in all kinds of lengths and spring rates. I ordered 3 different sets because I wasnt sure on stiffness and spring heigth. I ordered two pair of 12" springs. One pair was 325lb springs and the other was 350lb springs. The third pair of springs were 10" springs and 350lb. The coil-over springs have a 2.5" ID. Links here: http://store.summitracing.co m/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=QA1+spring&N=0&part=HAL%2D10%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch
http://store.summitracing.co m/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=QA1+spring&N=0&part=HAL%2D12%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch
The 12" springs did not lower the car enough for me. They are good for about 2.5"-3" lower than stock. My car is about 3"-4" lower than stock so I needed the 10" spring.

I removed my struts so I could cut the spring perches for the factory springs off. You have to be careful not to get the struts too hot when removing the spring perches because you can ruin the strut! Once the perch was completely removed I painted over the are where I had cut so it wouldnt rust. Once the paint dry's install the Honda coil over sleve and adjustible perch onto the strut and slide it all the way down to the bottom. Next install your new coil over springs then reinstall your struts on your car. Then reinstall your wheel's and lower the car down. Measure your ride heigth and adjust to where you want it. Keep in mind the springs will settle/sag a small ammount.

After setting my ride height I took the car out for a drive. My ride is 100% better and it's a lot quieter that it was before. It rides really good now. I have about $100 into the rear coil overs now but it's still cheaper than Helds setup and it's the exact same thing. I'll get some pictures of my installed struts and post them up. Keep in mind my car is really low. I have about 1/2"-1/4" wheel gap. The car sits about 2.75" from the ground.

How much will you sell the 325# 12" rear springs for?

matthew

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

do you have any room left to raise it back up?
looks sharp btw

I can lower it further or raise it back up to stock ride heigth if I want.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

How much will you sell the 325# 12" rear springs for?

matthew

You have a pm.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I can lower it further or raise it back up to stock ride heigth if I want.

Do your wheels and tires have room to tuck inside the wheel wells or is your suspension so tight that you only need that small gap for movement? It looks really good either way.

- Jonathan

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Do your wheels and tires have room to tuck inside the wheel wells or is your suspension so tight that you only need that small gap for movement? It looks really good either way.

- Jonathan

The wheels have room to tuck. I dont know if they do. The suspension is stiff but it still rides good.

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
what brand of struts do you have.

thanks...

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

what brand of struts do you have.

thanks...

KYB's

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
SWEET! thanks for the info
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
This is where I got mine from...

Coleman
7" coilover kit (sleeves) $29.40 each
http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_427&products_id=1525

Summit
10" 350# coilover spring $34.88 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.as p?autofilter=1&Ntt=HAL%2D10%2D350&N=0&part=HAL%2D10%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

KYB GR-2 Struts $59.88 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?a utofilter=1&Ntt=KYB%2D234005+&N=0&part=KYB%2D234005&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

If you want the front shocks too...
KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks $29.95 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?au tofilter=1&Ntt=KYB%2DKG4538&N=0&part=KYB%2DKG4538&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

***EDIT - I don't recomend going above 250-300# rear spring rates for street use. ***
And a picture too:

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 10-20-2005).]

bonzo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoDirect Link to This Post
Nice stuff. Have you seen this post.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/046456.html

------------------

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
What size are your rear tires?

------------------

FORMERLY KNOWN AS: sqoach (so, uh...yeah.........I'm not a noob) :p

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

What size are your rear tires?

My rear tires are 225/55/16's.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

This is where I got mine from...

Coleman
7" coilover kit (sleeves) $29.40 each
http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_427&products_id=1525

Summit
10" 350# coilover spring $34.88 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail. as p?autofilter=1&Ntt=HAL%2D10%2D350&N=0∂=HAL%2D10%2D350&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

KYB GR-2 Struts $59.88 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp ?a utofilter=1&Ntt=KYB%2D234005+&N=0∂=KYB%2D234005&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

If you want the front shocks too...
KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks $29.95 each
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp? au tofilter=1&Ntt=KYB%2DKG4538&N=0∂=KYB%2DKG4538&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

***EDIT - I don't recomend going above 250-300# rear spring rates for street use. ***

Just like my setup! I'll be doing the same thing on my 86GT. I think I'll install drop spindles on the front of the 86 too instead of cutting the springs like my 88.

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I used the WCF front springs that they sell with their coilover kit. The ride height is perfect. about 1.5"-2" lower than stock. I got the 350# springs and wish I would have gone to 400#. I would go to 450# but I don't know if they have them that stiff. The 350# are okay for a street car, but for a dedicated autocross car, there a bit soft for my taste. They would still rattle your fillings over bumpy raods. When I setup the suspension on my 88 GT I'll look for other options in the front. Overall, I'm happy with the WCF front springs.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I know what you mean about the 350# springs being a little soft for autox but I couldnt imagine anything stiffer on our road around here! Michigan roads suck!
m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
I replied to your PM fieromaster88 Ill take the springs, just need info on how to pay you, i can do paypal or postal money order.

matthew

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
im bumping this again, i think fieromaster88 fell asleep under his fiero.

matthew

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock